Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cross Racing on a Single Speed MTB????
  • weeble
    Free Member

Seen as the weathers poo I’ve turned my thoughts to planning some racing activies over this winter.

I’m a seasoned (read old!) MTB racer and am planning to have a go at some cyclo cross.

There’s a local cross leauge that will accept me riding my MTB and I’m planning on using my rigid singlespeed, just wondering if anyone has any tips or experience on gearing for cross on a SS?

I’m using a middleburn Uno up front so am limited to a 32t front set up.

Dougal
    Free Member

Same gearing as you would ride normally.

Colin May (Legendary ERC SS rider) managed to podium at a few of the Scottish CXs last year on a rigid MTB SS.

wwaswas

probably depends a lot on individual courses but I think you might be able to race but will struggle to be competitive, even on a geared mtb.

give it a go with your normal gearing on the first race and see how you get on?

get some skinnier tyres too.

weeble
    Free Member

TBH I’m not bothered about being competitive I’m just looking for a good workout throughout the winter months.

I did wonder about just trying my normal SS gearing and will use that as a starting point. Just wondered what peoples expereince was

Got skinny tyres sorted.

Thanks for the advice.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I did one on std 2:1 gearing, finished 11th IIRC, it worked really well as the course was mostly flat.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

if it’s early season, so dryish and fast, you’ll probably find 32×16 very low. I used to do the beastway MTB series (similar to cx courses) on 32×14 or 13.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’ve done a couple of my 29er SS bike,

45c tyres and 32-18 did the job nicely.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Cross Racing on a Single Speed MTB????’ is closed to new replies.