Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Cross max enduro wheel woes
  • russyh
    Free Member

Hi guys,
    After some advice please. I have now managed to break 3 spokes on my crossmax enduro rear wheel. All drive side. All broken at the nipple. Quick google suggests it’s a fairly common problem. Is there something specific I should be checking? Or does anyone know of a Gloucestershire based company who could rebuild or repair the wheels for me? I will speak with slam69 tomorrow for their thoughts but wondered if there is someone with experience of these wheels localish to me. I’m not a hard rider, but these wheels seem to be made of cheese…I’m guessing something must be wrong with the wheel build but could do with some advice…short of chucking them in the bin!

Thank you

stevede
    Free Member

I gave up on my rear wheel, I was a regular spoke snapper or sometimes on compression they would just eject from the hub flange, drive side normally which was a pain as I had to take the cassette off to sort. Fortunately I totalled a grey crossmax sx rim around the time I was losing the will to live with the enduro wheel so I used the rear hub from that wheel and bought a front enduro rim, an expensive solution to the problem but I haven’t had any issues since. I wouldn’t buy another set though, the xl ‘s look more appropriate but I’ll be sticking with conventional spokes and better hubs from now on. My superstar carbon am’s on the other bike were a gamble but at £360 on offer last year they have turned out to be a bargain and far more reliable.

russyh
    Free Member

That’s the annoying thing! I have superstar carbon am on my last bike! They were brilliant they lost drive side spoke tension but a quick twiddle with a spoke key and good as new! Need that offer to come about again and I will order a set!

I better replace the spokes in the crossmax and sell on to someone with more patience than me. Never touching them again!

rickmeister

Think there get a poor review on crc, went for the 27.5 xl’s instead

timbo678
    Free Member

Bent mine twice, without any major prangs so sold them for £400 and bought hope Enduro wheels for £350 – definitely the best idea!

Absolutely beautiful wheels and fantastically light but as you say – made of cheese and too difficult to repair easily!

Northwind

Mavic produce a lookey-likey rear wheel built with the front rim and 24 spokes for their pros, so it looks like they’re on standard enduros for the promo shots but they’re effectively on SXs… Make of that what you will! Hands up everyone who thinks rear wheels should be weaker than fronts…

honourablegeorge

Weird, the SXs are brilliant, bombproof wheels. They made some invisible tweaks that ruined everything.

russyh
    Free Member

Stupidly I bought my set second hand! So I have no warranty, I have sent an email to uk distributor asking how I got about getting a wheel rebuilt at my cost. I don’t expect any kind of helpful response and I have asked Mavic directly why the hell they supply a product not fit for purpose…not as if they are cheap! Again I don’t expect anything back but it made me feel better! Rims made of cheese and spokes made of spaghetti! Paint them yellow call them enduro and charge gullible people like me a fortune for the privilege!

Northwind

honourablegeorge – Member

Weird, the SXs are brilliant, bombproof wheels. They made some invisible tweaks that ruined everything.

IIRC it’s the rear wheel of an ST, essentially.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

They’re easy enough to rebuild-I’ve done a couple of rears this year including mine ( I bought them cheap knowing it needed a new rim)
    Any decent mechanic should be able to manage it without much trouble.

plecostomus
    Free Member

Get them repaired under the mavic MP3 programme if your took it out

gelert
    Free Member

The Carbon AMs are on offer. I have the Switch Ultra ones. After a LBS tune up after the 1st ride they’ve been great. I’ve ridden them at races and after 6 months solid abuse the rear is just a touch out of true.

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/am-carbon-wheelset.htm

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/am-carbon-switch-ultra-edition.htm

20% off Offer Code: FLASH20OCT

legend
    Free Member

russyh – Member
    Stupidly I bought my set second hand! So I have no warranty, I have sent an email to uk distributor asking how I got about getting a wheel rebuilt at my cost. I don’t expect any kind of helpful response and I have asked Mavic directly why the hell they supply a product not fit for purpose…not as if they are cheap! Again I don’t expect anything back but it made me feel better! Rims made of cheese and spokes made of spaghetti! Paint them yellow call them enduro and charge gullible people like me a fortune for the privilege!

Standard answer is to send them back to the factory for fixing – expect to be bent well over. Which distributor dos you contact? Mavic are their own UK distributor

russyh
    Free Member

I have emailed Madison and Mavic directly. I don’t expect to even get an answer to be honest, but it made me feel slightly better. I think i have found a company with spokes in stock so i am going to replace all of the drive side myself. They are all breaking in the same place i am guessing its some kind of fatigue or build issue.

Northwind

legend – Member

Standard answer is to send them back to the factory for fixing

I had the old enduros, the 2007 models… Broke the rear axle xc racing, emailed mavic to ask for a replacement, they said non! send zem to france! I said uh, it’s just the rear axle, they said non! send both wheels to france!

Mavic UK and Steve at Icycles saved the day but, really Mavic?

Dougal
    Free Member

Mavic produce a lookey-likey rear wheel built with the front rim and 24 spokes for their pros, so it looks like they’re on standard enduros for the promo shots but they’re effectively on SXs… Make of that what you will! Hands up everyone who thinks rear wheels should be weaker than fronts…

The 2015 wheels are the same width rims front and rear, no custom builds.

russyh
    Free Member

The Carbon AMs are on offer. I have the Switch Ultra ones. After a LBS tune up after the 1st ride they’ve been great. I’ve ridden them at races and after 6 months solid abuse the rear is just a touch out of true.

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/am-carbon-wheelset.htm

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/am-carbon-switch-ultra-edition.htm

20% off Offer Code: FLASH20OCT

Trouble is i bought my last pair from them for about £360. So anymore now looks expensive in comparison. Think I am going to play it safe and go with Hope Enduro’s

legend
    Free Member

russyh – Member
    I have emailed Madison and Mavic directly. I don’t expect to even get an answer to be honest, but it made me feel slightly better.

You might get a “we don’t do Mavic” email from Madison if you’re really lucky 😉

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Mavic have been like that since forever. Well, once they went to funky spokes anyway. I had a problem with a recently purchased helium wheel, they let the mavic dealer fix it, cost me about 20 quid in parts.

6 months later a mate split a crossmax rim (the one with the fore/aluminium spokes), back to mavic, 3 months wait, then they tried to charge him for the privilege, about 250 quid iirc. Still came back buckled. (local mavic dealer fixed it off the books……..)

kimbers

Get shot of them asap, everyone I know who’s bought then has had problems,

Goes to show the power of sponsoring some ews pros despite a terrible product !

Northwind

@Dougal, they were supplying the faked up rears for 2014 EWS, the Mavic truck was handing them out like sweeties to unhappy sponsored riders. Didn’t know they’d swapped to those for the 2015 model but, says it all really doesn’t it?

russyh
    Free Member

Ordered the spokes going to rebuild drive side with new spokes. Found somewhere with 10 in stock! Then get shot! Before anyone asks i will disclose my frustrations when selling and sell cheap! Going order a set of Hope enduros cant see anything better for £300!!!

gelert
    Free Member

Carbon AMs 26 inch with Switch hubs at £449 – 20% = £360. Considering getting a second set for my winter bike because they are brilliant and £360 is a snip for wheels. I’ve given mine some stick.

If you’re on 650B then the Hope Enduro deal is a good one. They’re smashing wheels, couple of my friends have them. Internal rim width (23mm) not as wide as Flow EX (25.5) at same weight but coming from the Mavic’s won’t be an issue.

v666ern
    Free Member

Did you speak to ‘ol beardy at slam?…he knows his onions

rickmeister

These the ones ? Check the reviews

Cheesy broken rims

russyh
    Free Member

Did you speak to ‘ol beardy at slam?…he knows his onions

I haven’t bothered him over these! Poor bloke wither groans or rubs his hands together when i bounce in!

russyh
    Free Member

These the ones ? Check the reviews

Cheesy broken rims

The the puppies. I may as well of fitted an XT cassette and disc to a Krespy Kreme doughnut!

legend
    Free Member

I may as well of fitted an XT cassette and disc to a Krespy Kreme doughnut

awesum description 😆

v666ern
    Free Member

I haven’t bothered him over these! Poor bloke wither groans or rubs his hands together when i bounce in!

Im going to take in my avids for him to bleed soon 😆
    Serves him right first he stocks road bikes next it’ll be E-bikes 😉

russyh
    Free Member

He Loves avid brakes!!! I may stop by this afternoon and twist his arm around his new fatty project!

jamesfts
    Free Member

FYI just got some spokes from this shop, in stock and turned up the next day.

http://247cycleshop.com

kevin1911

Is that Superstar code still working for you guys? Says “Your cart is not eligible to this promotion coupon. ” for me….

russyh
    Free Member

FYI just got some spokes from this shop, in stock and turned up the next day.

http://247cycleshop.com

Thats where i bought my last batch, but they now are out of stock! I just ordered 9 (i had 1 in stock spare) from a chap on ebay £40 delivered!!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Cross max enduro wheel woes’ is closed to new replies.