Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Cross Fell routes near Kirkland
  • MadBillMcMad

Lookint them there maps there are two youtes up/down Cross Fell.

northern & southern

Looking at satelite images the northern one looks relatively distinct but the southern one is very vague.

Anyone know what they are like to ride ?

lowey

Southern one is the Blencarn Descent and is an absolute Cracker. Wouldnt fancy going up it though. Not ridden the northern.

jonba
    Free Member

Can’t help you on the downs as I normally go off the other side to Garrigill.

Do you want the most off road route up? The easiest way, one that is actually rideable is to take the road up great Dun Fell from Knock. It is a killer even on a road bike but I guess the off road options will mostly be a long walk.

You can easily traverse across from the summit. Some bits you might have to walk but…

paul4stones

The Northern one is a track except for the top bit where it goes up onto the plateau. I’ve not ridden it, only run it, but from Kirkland it makes a nice circuit with the southern one which is about 9 miles iirc. Maybe slightly easier to ride up than the southern but just guessing.

Are you staying in Kirkland? We did in a holiday cottage there once – nice little backwater.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

The Northern ones not to bad in good dry conditions, there are three gates to go through and where the track goes left (marked on the map) you need to remember to go straight on, once you get over the summit the track gets better at Greggs hut and develops into a Landrover track. from memory its 13kms 9 miles of very exposed wilderness riding, you need a good day to do it, I would recommend nipping over Crossfell summit and dropping back down to Blencarn village, its at least a 4 mile descent and the longest i can think of without lots of walkers and gates enjoy nows the time to bag it before the bracken gets high

MadBillMcMad

cheers all.

I’m planning a mini bike packing trip, from Penrith to somewhere south, Lancaster or maybe all the way home to Blackburn(ish)

montgomery
    Free Member

Easy to miss the Blencarn turnoff from the main track – keep an eye out for the little ‘four points of the compass’ design etched into a flagstone.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Cross Fell routes near Kirkland’ is closed to new replies.