Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cross fell from centerparcs
  • lambo

I’m at Centerparcs in February with the family and inlaws and have been granted a 4 hour window to ride for my sins! Any experience of riding cross fell from there would be appreciated. Would clockwise or anti-clockwise from Blencarn be the best option? Should I do an out and back to high cup nick instead? No experience of that area, home territory is Sheffield and the peak.

matt_outandabout

Up on the radar station road from Knock is best – easier ascent with lovely off road descent.

This is from memory 25 years ago, growing up locally.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Not really answering your question, but I drove about 20 mins from Center Parcs to Haweswater and rode the Nan Bield loop from there.
    Not sure I’d fancy it in February with that time window though.

kevj
    Free Member

If you only have four hours, then an outward and back up High Cup would be the better option considering the season and the micro climate around Cross Fell. That said, you could climb from Dufton on the radar station road and descend into Blencarn from Tees Head if the weather is favourable on the day.

martinhutch

then an outward and back up High Cup would be the better option

In February, it’s in the lap of the Gods, but this would be my preferred option.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

Yeah what Martin says,Cross fell is probably the most exposed route in the area, High cup nick (out and back)would be a better option, Or the Askham fell moor divock Bridleways,ullswater singletrack are good all year round.

Doing the cross fell route is probably best done may to july before the Bracken gets High and after a week or so dry weather,nipping up the great dun fell road to the radar station and then over little dun fell is a quick version of this route and then do the Bridleway to Blencarn. In good dry conditions its a corker, with few gates, high speeds lower down and some stunning views from the top,Theres a good pub,campsite, yoof hostel and cafe in Dufton village.enjoy.

boxelder

As above, 4 hrs in Feb – I’d head for Ullswater.

lambo

Thanks for the advice. I’ve read that cross fell’s pretty remote and the 1:50000 map I’ve been looking at is pretty deceptive compared to the 1:25000 that I’m used to so I think I’ll probably head for high cup instead. Keen not to drive and maximise my riding time even if it’s on the road a bit. I guess Feb isn’t the ideal time to visit but I’ll pack my big coat!

kevj
    Free Member

If available time is short, when you get to Dufton, drive as far up the track as you can as this will add on more bike miles at the top. The last dirt road section of the track is good fun, then tarmac into Dufton, so you’ll not miss out on much this way.

speedstar

I did this Do not do the route this way round and do come up the road to the radar station! I did it the other way and didn’t and had a nice refreshing dip in the Tyne after hitting the most incredible mud imaginable! Great views and would recommend. 4 Hours would be tight though.

winterhasarrived
    Free Member

Any thoughts on a good cyclo-cross / gravel bike route? We are there this coming weekend. While I might escape for 4 hours my crap fitness probably means I won’t cover much ground!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

4hrs? Pedal along the road to the bridge Inn and have a nice lunch to yourself….

lambo

Nobeerinthefridge – that is the best idea I’ve heard in a long time!!

winterhasarrived
    Free Member

I did no riding at Center Parcs, except 100m with the little un in the bikeseat until she decided she was done, but the food at the Pooley Bridge Inn is delicious! Thanks.

Speshpaul

keep your bikes in doors, my hope brakes were surprisingly loose on morning.

if all else fails or the weather is grim for navigating (v foggy when we last went) Whinlatter is just down the road.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cross fell from centerparcs’ is closed to new replies.