Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Cross country running
  • mikey74
    Free Member

I am toying with the idea of taking this up, to fill in the times when I don’t have enough time to go on a long bike ride. Plus I have some fields and woods behind my house that would be good for it.

Apart from 20 minutes here and there on a treadmill, I haven’t run since school (I’m 38): I know taking it easy is the key phrase to begin with, any guidance would be useful.

What kit do I need (assuming I’ll be stating in the winter)? Trainers would need to be suitable for mixed surfaces, including pavement.

surfer
    Free Member

Any trainers will do but you may want something with a bit of grip such as Nike which have the waffles outersole and a cushioned midsole for the road sections.
    Other than that enjoy!

My cross country season starts on Saturday with the first Liverpool and district league at Beacon park. 40 minutes of eyeball popping pain. Cant wait!

jon1973
    Free Member

Not really the question you asked, but I’ve been doing the Park Run lately. It’s great way to get into running and a good way of tracking your progress. It’s pretty addictive though.

jon1973
    Free Member

mikey74
    Free Member

Oooo they do one of those in Tilgate, not that far from me. I think I may need to do some “private” running time, before I can make an appearance at an event.

jon1973
    Free Member

It’s not really a competitive event as such, you just compete against yourself to improve your time week on week. Use the Park Run to train…no need to get match fit before you go. I certainly didn’t.

mikey74
    Free Member

But I guess going from 0km to 5km is going to be a bit of a stretch to begin with, isn’t it?

fergal
    Free Member

Can’t beat trail running on the moors/hills for inspiration, i have been running fairly regular since the monsoon started. Fell running shoes the best, with agressive grip, bobs your uncle.

petrieboy

I’ve been very impressed with Asics Lahar trail shoes. Look just like Kayano’s but have a goretex liner and a trail orientated tread. Picked up matching his and hers black ones for £40 a pair in one of the chavvy sports warehouses.

jon1973
    Free Member

You’ll do 5km without a problem, as long as you pace yourself and don’t go mad to start with.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve read on running forums to stay away from gore-tex shoes as they don’t let water out when it does, eventually, get in.

petrieboy

Wouldn’t ford a river in them, but for muddy trails and wet grass they are just the ticket for keeping your toes dry (and so intact) unless you are doing ultra distances, if you get soaked, you’re staying wet for the duration (you’ll not be out long enough to dry out)

mikey74
    Free Member

What about bottoms? Tights? Shorts?

Rockape63
    Free Member

You just need a pair of shorts and T shirt and off you go…..its not rocket science! Start with a 1.5-2.5m loop amd time yourself….this will give you a lot of confidence as your times come down and it gives you something to aim for. Increase the distance as you feel able, but most of all enjoy it.

Its a great form of exercise, costs nothing and you’re back in around half an hour, feeling much better for doing it.

Sui
    Free Member

Mike, advice about not using waterproof shoes is good, fine for a bit of dew on the ground, but go through puddles and you won’t like the feeling – better to let water in and escape easily.

I recently got some sucony TR3’s (£40 in sale) that have a fairly aggressive grip, and used these in the brutal run last weekend, they performed brilliantly (as they can when swimming. oh and thin socks – a decent pair of socks makes a massive difference..

I used to run quite a bit even through i don’t really like it, one thing i will say is that, i stopped running for a long time and then got pressured into doing this event, i’m convinced that if you ride lots (and have large ish thighs), you will suffer more than a non sporty person early on. Seriously take it REALLY easy to start with, don’t let your muscles get that bruised feeling whilst still out as it takes a while to recover.

As for clothing – i always have to use some lycra type under shorts to stop my legs chaffing, then just use a merion base if cold/vest etc.

good luck with it.

edit to add – on the “bruise feeling”, it’s about conditioning your muscles to take the pounding – completely different group to riding.

piemonster

http://www.startfitness.co.uk/product.asp?strParents=4070,4071&CAT_ID=4077&P_ID=47910

I’ll stick my oar in and recommend the above, you actually get decent grip unlike a lot of trail shoes. Stability and grip isn’t as good as the likes of Walsh’s or Inov8’s.

But then again they are only £30 and you get a free t-shirt. Plus they are ‘ok’ for some pavement. Certainly a good first choice, and capable enough for trail/xc right up to Fell Running.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

If any of your running involves firm surfaces or road at all then I would seriously consider going to a proper running shop, getting your gait looked at and proper shoes fitted.

I’ve only been running (very on/off) once every week or so for a year but proper shoes made a huge difference.

I understand that if you’re running more proper off-road then the gait thing is less of an issue as your feet rarely land square on the ground.

As an aside, those of you who run out in the countryside, what the flip do you do with your car keys?! With my old banger I could just tie the key onto my shoes laces but the new car has an electronic wotsit doofrey key..

piemonster

I’ll also 2nd a couple of things there from Sui

Goretex, I run nearly 100% off road trail/xc/fell peaking at 100km p/w of running and never ever use Goretex. The only time I ever use waterproofing for my feet is running in winter conditions in the Highlands, and that’s done with waterproof socks with Gaiters if needed.

And yes take it easy, with you bike fitness you may find your able to run further than you really should. And give your legs a right beating in the process.

With regards to the rest of your kit, where do you live?

piemonster

As an aside, those of you who run out in the countryside, what the flip do you do with your car keys?! With my old banger I could just tie the key onto my shoes laces but the new car has an electronic wotsit doofrey key..

Varies depending on where I’ve parked. Up in Glen Clova, sometimes just under a rock. Southern Fife for a club run that’s a bit too close to Glenrothes, I’ll carry it in a coat pocket or similar. Lots of shorts/tights have little pockets with zippers for just that task.

Friend of mine just tucks it under the inside of his car bumper, I spent too long living in Sheffield to be happy doing that.

stick_man

I wouldn’t worry too much about off road trainers for now – just go very easy to start with in a pair of road trainers if that’s all you have. As long as they hold your feet well you’ll be fine for a few km, may slide around a bit that’s all.

V important to warm up & down properly as you’ll be straining all sorts of muscles and tendons otherwise.

retro83
    Free Member

It’s mentioned above, but really do take it easy for the first few runs otherwise you’ll spend a week walking around like Kryten (as I have been this week!)

BristolPablo
    Free Member

I marshal a lot at parkrun in Bristol and I have to say its a great buxzz seeing all these people on at Saturday morning ready to run. Its a tough course but we have runners finishing in under 18 minutes through to 45 minutes… just turn up and get amongst it. You just need to register first and take your barcode. Then you have a pb and the fun starts, its just you against you. Its always very friendly and a few coaches turn up from the local clubs so you can always have a word afterwards.

your local running shop may also do guided training/group runs, especially now as it gets closer to cross country season. They should also be able to advise on footwear and training plans.

Finally, a stretching session instead of a run will do you just as much benefit. learn the basics and spend an hour or so once a week stretching the muscles. it will help combat cramp and aches whilst running as well as reduce the risk of injury

MrSparkle

I’ve just got a pair of the Cheviot fell shoes that piemonster recommends. Ran in ’em twice – a 6 mile club run and a fell race at weekend. They seem ok. Pretty aggressive tread like an inov8 mudclaw, might be a bit OT depending on what the OP is going to use them for but at that price…

eggbanjo
    Free Member

Proper fitting trail running trainers made a huge difference to my cross country running. I do recommend going to a runing shop to have your gait checked and to try on different pairs.
    Mine are Saucony Peregrine 2s and they are the best pair ive ever owned.

piemonster

Might be worth the OP clarifying what sort of XC does he mean.

Park runs are usually as it says on the tin. Often little more serious than a trail that’s a bit muddy in places.

XC, especially if your training from the doorstep through fields etc is very different (in my experience), ploughed fields, rivers, paths chewed up by horses, fields chewed up by cattle etc.

Soil conditions will also play a factor, heavy sticky clay soils will make many light trails shoes look stupid. Whereas running on compacted gravel paths will make Walsh’s overkill.

IanMunro
    Free Member

What piemonster said.
    Think about what mtb tyre you’d use to ride on the trails than you run on, then choose a shoe with a similar amount of tread.

bencooper
    Free Member

Or, for something completely different – there’s nothing like squidging through mud wearing some Five Fingers or similar. I also found it cuts way down on aches and pains afterwards – I developed a much lighter running style.

hp_source

I know this may sounds a bit trivial, but I’d recommend some decent socks too, there’s a company called ‘more mile’ that do good ones, they’re a more supportive on certain bits of your feet.

mikey74
    Free Member

XC, especially if your training from the doorstep through fields etc is very different (in my experience), ploughed fields, rivers, paths chewed up by horses, fields chewed up by cattle etc.

The areas I am looking at are mainly woodland and open grasslands with unmade paths, plus some tarmac and gravelled bridleways

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I use these for off road in winter, they’re a few years old which probably indicates how often I go proper off road in winter. I think they are neoprene and mesh. IMO ordinary trainers are useless in winter for cross country. Like most others say, just any shorts and wicking t.shirt, add ronhills and a thin fleece,gloves,beanie, whatever in mid winter.

And yes take it easy, with you bike fitness you may find your able to run further than you really should. And give your legs a right beating in the process.

this

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Starting running a 38 isn’t a problem, it will just feel hard at first. I wouldn’t run for more than 20mins at first and then build it up. I run mainly on moors and dirt tracks and wear this half way house trainers which are only £35. (I cant see the point in spending more) In winter just wear wool socks and accept your going to get wet!

piemonster

The areas I am looking at are mainly woodland and open grasslands with unmade paths, plus some tarmac and gravelled bridleways

Mizuno Wave Harrier would be a good bet. You’ll probably want some actual studding of some sorts. Not full on studs like these;

In the middle ground there are things like the aforementioned Wave Harrier

At the light end you have offering like New Balance MT840

I’d be inclined to not spend too much first time out, but getting to a shop would be best. Not all manufacturers agree on what equals a UK9.5 and you can easily buy something that doesn’t fit.

I used to run off road in road shoes, and it was rubbish. Picked up a pair of genuine off road shoes and it was a revelation.

Another option would be the “door to trail” offerings from the likes of Salomon.

I have a pair and love them, work well on light trails and are as comfy on the road as dedicated road shoe.

Jase
    Free Member

Defo take it easy first of all.

I run a couple of times a week on the road and went for a xc run on Sunday for a change and my legs are still aching!

Duggan

Running is great, I much prefer it to mtbing in many ways.

There’s no mystery to it, just put on some shorts and t-shirt and off you go 🙂

Just ensure that you only increase diatance by about 10% each time and you’re done really.

mikey74
    Free Member

Thanks for the input folks. I’ll digest all the info and then maybe pay a visit to my local sports shop.

Unfortunately, my leg is still dodgy after a bike crash week before last, so I won’t be venturing out in the immediate future, which gives me time to look around.

hammerite
    Free Member

Like those NB shoes Piemonster, they look like a turbo charged version of my trusty RX terrains.

Agree with what’s been said. Decent pair of running shoes, off road is the best kind of running for someone who hasn’t been running much as there’s a lot less impact than running on the road. Yes you do have the added problem of increased chance of twists and falls, but if you’re usually pretty stable you should be ok (I have to be quite careful now as I seem to turn my right ankle very easily leading to ligament damage).

If you are planning to get into racing eventually off road is the way to go. I’ve always had a lot more fun in XC and fell races. Grizzly being one of my faves. To get the most out of XC racing you’ll probably be best of looking for a club as most races are usually part of a club league.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

For the sake of your dignity, don’t be tempted to buy some of those stupid looking lycra leggings.

piemonster

my trusty RX terrains

Blinkin nora, how have you still got a pair of those on the go. Quite envious…

On a side note New Balance have stuck that tread onto the minimalish MTE101’s

http://www.ratrace.com/1771/products/new-balance-mte101gh-with-free-hilly-trail-socks.aspx

Bargain

jesterthefirst
    Free Member

I’ve been mountain biking for 5 years and started running about 8 weeks ago. I use to be a long distance runner 25 years ago.

If you haven’t run for a long time be very careful when starting out. Cycling (I believe) shortens your running muscles/tendons etc. I walked/jogged on the flat for the first 2 weeks. Then I ran on the flat building up to 4 miles over the next 2 weeks. I had pain in my achilles tendon for the first 4 weeks but icing it, resting it for 2 days and running on the flat stopped it progressing into a full blown injury.

Start slowly and gradually build up to a distance you feel comfortable at. I found it frustrating in the beginning because I have the cardio fitness from cycling. After 8 weeks, I can now run 4-5 miles in under 50 minutes. It’s great when you haven’t the time to do a long bike ride.

mikey74
    Free Member

OK!! Shoes (Asics Gel Fuji) and shorts bought. However, I guess socks are pretty important, especially as I’ll be starting in the winter: What socks do you folks recommend for wet, winter off-road runs?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Cross country running’ is closed to new replies.