Cross bikes are ace

Home Forum Bike Forum Cross bikes are ace

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Cross bikes are ace
  • rp16v

clubber – local?

clubber

Yep. Top of the gravel climb.

Leafocross,
    earlier today.
    We had to carry cross sticks and clear the fork and stays surprisingly frequently.

gee

So… First proper cross ride on the Warbird this evening.

Building up the frame, it was very well finished and all the bearing surfaces were machined and clean. The paint was perfect and seems good. The sizing is large – I usually ride a 58cm road bike, but went for a 56cm in the Warbird as the top tube length was the same as my old Kinesis. The seat tube extends quite a bit above the top tube, like old Konas, so the standover is excellent.

Riding – it corners on the road a lot better than the Kinesis. The front is 1.5cm higher and the BB 1cm lower and this seems to make a lot of difference to the cornering. It feels a lot more like a road bike than the Kinesis. Off road, it is fantastic on fire roads and bridleways, which is what it’s designed for. On more demanding trails, the lower front end and higher BB of the Kinesis probably give it the edge; but this is on really steep stuff (Evian, supernova, Barry’s if you know the N Downs).

In terms of what it’s for – the gravel moniker is a bit limited. It’s fantastic on any off road surface; yes, cross specific bikes are better for cross racing but if you don’t race and just want a bike to go exploring on, it’s fantastic.

GB

Hornet600

I have a got a Stevens Prestige and find my local trails a lot more fun again, the mtb was overkill on most local trails (bridleways, farm tracks and cheeky footpaths!)

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

My new one – finished off the build on Saturday morning, rode it on the Peaks Pootle on Sunday.

The disc brakes are a revelation – I mean I’ve used discs off road for 10+ years but never on a CX bike. So much better on road too. I caught a roadie going down Winnats Pass on Sunday – he had a good 10sec lead on me at the top, I was only freewheeling but the difference was he was having to drag his brakes all the way down to keep his speed in check, I could let it all go then just tap the brakes knowing that there’d be instant stopping power. I caught him at the left hand bend about 2/3rds of the way down.
    It’s a Hope V-Twin system, bit of a faff to set up but bedded in very quickly and feels great.

The bike is set up mostly for the Three Peaks and general off-road riding, I don’t really do much “proper” CX racing so I’m happy with the spec and positioning.

andypaul99

Guys with the exception of the leafy surly, these cross bikes look way too clean!

rp16v

before building wash the frame and coat in carnuba wax then buff the mud prety much just falls off.

Premier Icon benji
    Subscriber

Crazy Legs, could you do me a massive favour, and post a picture looking at the under side of the bottom bracket to show the mud clearance between the chainstays, as it’s one of the frames on my list, just don’t see them in the shops.

Premier Icon boxelder
    Subscriber

What cranks you got there crazy legs. Just V twinned mine and it’s just the cranks letting the side down now. Ideally I’d like 32/48 or similar.

Premier Icon benji
    Subscriber

They look like Rotor cranks, very nice.

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Benji:
    “not a right lot” is the answer. Loads up by the seatstays, about a finger width down by the BB. Having said that, there’s nothing there for it to catch or stick to, the underside has a carbon plate to cover the internal cable routing so it’s all smooth.
    That’s with 35mm Kenda Slant 6 Pro tyres.
    Be aware that the disc clearance is minimal at best too. It all works fine though.

boxelder:
    Rotor cranks with Middleburn 34/48 chainrings.

leed

Built myself one of those chinese carbon numbers (fm059) a few months ago, using it everyday as my commuter. All good so far, just bought some Spyre’s as I seem to be constantly adjusting the bb5

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

I personally think disc brake cross bikes should be banned.
    Well pics on here anyway.
    Cos I is jealous.

bikebouy

Heres mine, picked it up a few weeks ago and it’s proving perfect for the Hampshire riding I do.
    I’ll get some live pics next time I’m out..
    Giant TCX2SLR

stonemonkey

Bikebouy where did you get your giant from can’t find one in stock anywhere

bikebouy

I bought it from the main Giant dealer in St Paul’s, London (near the Barbican across the road from the Museum of London) I went in on the off chance a few weeks ago just to have a look around and scope out the TCX in the flesh and they had one on a stand. They had both, the cheaper one and this one and due one of the carbon jobbies in too but that I found out a few days later was sold.
    I had been scoping out a decent CX bike for some time, flitting between a Planet X and getting the upgraded carbon wheels, and the top Canyon CX. However when I looked at the Canyon the delivery dates were way off and the Planet X was a bit heavy and needed upgrading (and cost) so I decided to take a look at the TCX. Glad I did, the service in the shop was excellent, I got to ride around the shop on it and could have taken it out on the road but didn’t need that, I know what fits me and once I sat on it and pulled the seat up it just felt right. It’s a medium, no upgrades just straight out of the box onto the trails and proving to be one of the best fitting and riding bikes I’ve bought in ages.
    It’s geomatry is very roadie (which is prefect for me) you have lots of spare steerer to suit your preference on fit, loads of room between the stays and fork for mud, the build quality is exceptional, the kits excellent and flawless. It’s proving to be an excellent ride, light, flicky, fast and fun.
    It comes with some bolt on fittings for mudguards (front and rear) and fittings for lights and a whole host of other fittings I’ve yet to figure out what they are..
    I’ve raced it twice and ridden my local trails on it loads and the only thing I’ve done to it is slam the stem (ha) and put some heli tape on the down tube and seat stays and set the tyre pressures for my trails.

When I decided to buy it I called the shop back a day later and was told about delivery delays due to the sram brakes needing to be changed due to a recall, but that was for stock just coming into the country, the current stock was fine and checked to be ok, but delivery dates for the new bikes have been put back until Feb14 due to the recall whilst they change/replace the brakes.

I think I was lucky to get this, I’d give them a call they may have another I don’t know, but what you will get is excellent service no matter what.

stonemonkey

Hi bikebouy thanks for the advice, i have managed to find one in a giant store. Glad to hear you are enjoying the bike and i agree it looks the best bike in its price range. Out of interest does you bike have the tektro spyre brakes?

Premier Icon househusband
    Subscriber

I’ve got the TCX SLR2 on order – I know I’m going to have to wait until, in all likelihood, February for delivery! Got a great price from the LBS so I’m happy to wait.

Houns

Just back from a spin on mine, lovely day

Premier Icon phil40
    Subscriber

Hmm as always I am on the wrong side of a trend 🙂 got a cotic x large that I am thinking of selling.

It’s a lovely bike, but I never ride on the road, so I might as well just use my mountain bike, and given my skills levels I need all the tyre width and suspension I can get 🙂

I gave a few cross races a try, I just didn’t really enjoy myself! Had far more fun at the gorrick events I have done.

bikerbruce

I was out on mine earlier and it was sodding great! Love the simplicity of a cross bike

bikebouy

Brakes are SRAMs HRD700’s….

stonemonkey

Ok thought you had the slr2 but you have the posh one! Ordering it tomorrow can’t wait

bikebouy

Well despite the paint they chuck on it is the same frame/fork so it’ll ride the same.. 😉

Let us know how you get on with it.. Ta.

Bazz

Just built this up, and despite being in commuter/winter road guise at the moment it will see mud before the winter is out.

bikebouy

Here it is in its favourite environment.. 😀

[/url]image by -bikebouy-[/img]

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Cross bikes are ace’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks are open.

Skip to top