Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Cross bike brakes?
  • kinger

Morning all,
    Just a quick enquiry as regards what brakes folks are using on cross bikes.
    My frame does not have disc mounts so cable discs are out of the question,
    I know Frog-legs type cantis are the fave but I wanted to try mini v-brakes as don't want to have a cable hanger under my stem as then the front end's too high.
    There don't seem to be many mini v options out there, so maybe best to run regular v brakes and a cable modulator…?

Advice from other cross riders appreciated,
    Ta
    Stu

simondbarnes

I'm using tektro cantis having previously used discs and before that mini vees. The cantis are excellent, as were the discs. Mini vees were terrible.

samuri
    Free Member

I use Mini Vees, they're excellent. Way better than canti's that were terrible.

Coleman
    Free Member

Tektro Oryx canti's here too. Work fine when set up carefully and a cable hanger only adds about 10mm to the stack height.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I got a Tri-cross with Tektro mini Vs with STi shifters. I hated the fact that I had to run the pad so close to the rim to get good braking. So, I tried froglegg style cantis with a kona fork mounted cable hanger and by comparison, they were far too wooden with not enough actual power although a lot further from the rim.

Then I tried "Shorty" style arms and found the middle ground, kind of a mummy bear situation. Some where between the two for power and somewhere between the two for rim clearance.

I've now settled back on the mini Vs. The brakes and rims need a little more fettling to keep everything working perfectly but I think it's worth it for the extra braking power.

firestarter
    Free Member

tektro oryx here too work great

oldgit
    Free Member

Tektro working very well with STI's pulling them.

Avid Shorty's were pants, though Campags were pulling them if it makes a difference?

I can't even look at a crosserwith V's 😉

stick_man

I used Mini Vs with Travel Agents on a CX bike. You can set the pad a bit further from the rim with this setup and it works well, esp for the front brake which was quite powerful.

Cable discs are best IMO simply because they offer decent power and they're predictable in all conditions.

MrAgreeable

Shimano cantis here, work well but the front is a bit juddery when braking hard.

ChrisF
    Free Member

I've used Shortys and Vees. The Shortys were usable but very sensitive to set up (especially the angle of dangle of the hanger cable). The Vees were better – more powerful and needed less regular fettling, but a bit fugly looking.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Cross bike brakes?’ is closed to new replies.