Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • CroMo Vs Steel frames
  • el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

tell me more!!!!

eGn

wwaswas

err, CroMo is steel?

AngusWells

All cro mo is steel, but not all steel is cro mo.

AngusWells

Sorry, that was supposed to be helpful but probably wasn’t. The cro mo refers to the alloy that is added to the steel. It may, or may not, make it heavier than some other steel alloys as it depends what you want to compare it with. Can you refine the question a bit?

clubber
    Free Member

Steel is any iron alloy

Cromo (cromoly – chromium, molybdenum) is a particular type of steel (and the one used in most decent ‘steel’ bike frames)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/41xx_steel

richmtb

CroMo is a type of steel. Its alloyed with Chromium and molybendum to make it stronger and ligher than normal carbon steel which is iron alloyed with carbon. This somtimes goes by the name of HiTen Steel (for High Tensile) when used in bicycle frames.

Only very low budget bikes use HiTen frames, most are CroMo except for really high end tubsets like Reynolds 753 which use Manganese Molybendum instead

johnellison
    Free Member

Just to confuse the issue, not all CroMo steel is the same; and some steel frames are a mix of CroMo and high tensile.

A CroMo steel frame has more “spring” to it when riding whereas a high tensile one will feel “dead”. And bend more easily. And feel like its made from gas-pipe. And put you off cycling forever.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Isn’t this question normally about is it worth paying a two hundred pound plus premium for that little green sticker and will I notice the difference?

Rather than an A-Level in metallurgy.

ahwiles
    Free Member

all steel ‘weighs’ the same.

clubber
    Free Member

pixie dust.

nedrapier

all steel ‘weighs’ the same.

but it doesn’t all weigh-hey! the same.

eh? 😀

ahwiles
    Free Member

i like your work!

swtbikes
    Free Member

All steel weighs roughly the same but higher quality steel alloys are far stronger, allowing you to make the walls thicker thus lighter.

Another thing with high quality steel is its feel. The thinner walls of high quality steel (CrMo) alloys take a lot of trail impacts out, the ‘dead’ feel you get with ‘gas pipe’ cheap steel frames.

i’ve just made my own frame using Reynolds 631 and its far less punishing than the previous steel frame I owned.

mangatank
    Free Member

i’ve just made my own frame using Reynolds 631 and its far less punishing than the previous steel frame I owned.

Sounds interesting. Not often you hear of that tube-set being used.

Pictures please!

BadlyWiredDog

swtbikes – Member
    All steel weighs roughly the same but higher quality steel alloys are far stronger, allowing you to make the walls thicker thus lighter.

Yes, that makes sense… surely solid bars of steel would be lighter still?

Macavity
    Free Member

Cromoly steels have less than 0.3% carbon content. Lower carbon content gives inproved weldability. eg 4130 can have upto 0.3% carbon.
    Carbon steels (mild steels etc) can have up to 2% carbon content, and poorer welability (postweld strength can be low).
    Over approx 3% carbon content, its generally called cast iron, and its not easily welded and its a lot more brittle.

mangatank
    Free Member

Take a gander at this:

Tube Comparison chart

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘CroMo Vs Steel frames’ is closed to new replies.