Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Croix De Fer alternatives . ?
  • misinformer
    Free Member

There’s a bike shop in the Peak District flogging an ex demo CDF it seems.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Another vote for the pinnacle arkose, I tested it back to back with a Croix de fer and much preferred it.

if it was a stock croix then I am not surprised as it is a different beast with decent wheels on it…

coastkid
    Free Member

technicallyinept – Member
    Pics and some waffle on the blog;
    50 mile road/Roughstuff with pics and first impressions

coastkid, that’s a cracking set of photos, what camera were you using?

Just a £70 Canon Powershot A3200 IS on a small Gorilla Pod, no photoshop or anything 🙂

iainc

Coastkid – what front mudguard you got on there ? If you fancy another of those rides some sunday I’d be well up for it, we could probably even get sanny off the fatbike and onto his crosser 🙂

doom_mountain

Verenti Substance from Wiggle. A similar spec to the CdF but substantially cheaper (fund for new wheel set?).

Looks really nice for the money, I’ve been mulling over a Croix De Fer for a while to replace my ‘weathered’ Tifosi CK7, the Verenti thing seems like cracking value in comparison ( I know the groupset is better on the Genesis but there’s nearly £600 difference ).

coastkid
    Free Member

Bike has a Cycra Guard, flatter and wider than a Crud front so better for road bikes tighter clearance.
    First bought them for the fatbikes as wider too; CycraGuard MTB front

Vital Spark lives up in the middle of that ride and rides here too so be up for a bit of this roughstuff on his crosser!
    loads of this stuff around East Lothian 🙂

iainc

Vital Spark lives up in the middle of that ride and rides here too so be up for a bit of this roughstuff on his crosser!
    loads of this stuff around East Lothian

. Nice one, could probs get me, sanny and one or 2 more from through this way if we can get some dates in mind. Cheers for mudguard link.

OCB
    Free Member

I’d say Singular Peregrine, but I would as I’ve had one for years.
    Other options could be: Soma Double Cross Disc and/or Surly Straggler. A Rivendell might be an option, but I don’t think they do a disc frame.

That Transition is *very* tempting – it’s the same F&F as the Traitor Crusade, so I guess it could appear here as either? In a similar vein, I’ve read that the Singular Kite may well move to discs too for it’s next iteration, but you’d need to weigh up the availability/non-availability of rack / guard mountings on them both I’d guess.

jameso

Another vote for the pinnacle arkose, I tested it back to back with a Croix de fer and much preferred it.

if it was a stock croix then I am not surprised as it is a different beast with decent wheels on it…
    The OE wheels are pretty similar on both, overall weight and rim spec. 470-480g rims I think? Some prefer alu+carbon, some prefer steel, good to have a choice )

iainc

Well said jameso. And a big thanks to you also for all the advice which helped me decide, even though I didn’t go for the Arkose in the end !

jameso

^ no probs ianc, as long as people are happy with their choices all’s good. I still ride my Equilibrium.. : )

Jamie
    Free Member

Can you stop wasting time on here, James, and design a SS version of the Ramin One, please 8)

….£350-ish price tag would be just super.

jameso

Got it..
    I’d like to, do more SS bikes as well as stop wasting time on here. There are plans and sample SS bikes ordered etc. Maybe not a Ramin yet but if the tensioner works, I’d like one so that’s usually enough to get it in the range (to start with). But £350? ..Don’t ask for much. V brakes right?

Ok, back to CX bikes.

Jamie
    Free Member

But £350?

Ok. £375 😀

Right. Back to CX bikes.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The OE wheels are pretty similar on both, overall weight and rim spec. 470-480g rims I think? Some prefer alu+carbon, some prefer steel, good to have a choice )

yes but the overall bike weight will be more because of the steel/alu difference, and when a bike gets towards 26lbs it starts to feel a bit too heavy, as the stock croix does.

iainc

Interesting as my 2014 Croix is about 3lbs heavier than the 07 Jake the snake it replaced, but has a few extra gears out back. Feels heavier putting on the roof, but haven’t noticed it on road or trails.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I am not saying it is too heavy – but whenever you see someone complain about a croix it is always because of weight.

My wheels aren’t stupid light at 1610g with 32 spokes, but the whole bike is 22.5lbs with pedals which feels nice, and is only 2lbs more than my equilibrium which doesn’t have disks.

jameso

TG, your CdF is lighter than my winter-kitted Equilibrium ) good work.

Ben_H

I ride a Cotic X with a build somewhere between the Croix and its big brother, the Equilibrium disc (105 except for Tiagra shifters and 11-32 cassette, XT hubs, GP 4 Season tyres, EA50 finishing kit, BB5s).

Although it’s clearly a different bike from the Croix, the concept and my style of use are the same.

It’s one bike for everything. I do most of my miles on it: commuting, shopping, kids on the back, occasional longer road rides. Brilliant. 🙂

IanW
    Free Member

I should want a CDF but can’t help feeling its a bit sort of dull..sorry. Maybe if it came in a different colour than the commuter black or had a different group set I could get juiced about it but even with a custom build it could still do with more clearance.

That said there isn’t too many alternatives. The Merida four cross looks better in the flesh than pics online would suggest, flat top tube, traditional external headset and cables, matched with good kit, 105, nova tech hubs etc seems pretty good.

Conqueror
    Free Member

It’s not steel but the Norco threshold a1 looks good

Jamie
    Free Member

I should want a CDF but can’t help feeling its a bit sort of dull..sorry. Maybe if it came in a different colour than the commuter black

The CdF is silver.

IanW
    Free Member

You knew what I meant.

Jamie
    Free Member

Indeed, and it’s silver.

jerrys
    Free Member

coastkid – I’ve also got a blue 2013 CdF.

What’s the rear mudguard, is it also a Cyrca? I’ve currently borrowed the one I put on my old Kona Fire Mountain (1992) but it’s a little short!

motorman
    Free Member

Prob way OT, but i’m rocking this frankenbike for mile munching

Surly LHT with a few mods 😉

Built like a tank & rides ace everywhere!
    As you were….

Olly
    Free Member

Surly straggler is the new Disk braked version of their cross bike…

Which is a tenuous enough link for me to post a pic of my Disk trucker on the wetter than wet granite trail today

IanW
    Free Member

Jamie – Member
    Indeed, and it’s silver.
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO #

Was really worth posting a quote and a picture to prove your a pedantic gobshite? Your life..I mean your actual life must be very dull.

Captain-Pugwash
    Free Member

I’ve just brought a Croix de Fer 931 after getting a PPI payout.
    It’s very nice

OCB
    Free Member

More – Kona Sutra, Specialized AWOL, Kinesis Tripster?

el_boufador

Preferred the arkose geometry, but I am a bit of a weird shape-tall, long arms, long legs short torso. Brakes were better on the arkose were better. Didn’t notice the genesis weight really. Heart said genesis, but the arkose just rode better for me.

Jamie
    Free Member

Was really worth posting a quote and a picture to prove your a pedantic gobshite? Your life..I mean your actual life must be very dull.

It’s 30 seconds of my life I will never see again 🙁

coastkid
    Free Member

jerrys – Member
    coastkid – I’ve also got a blue 2013 CdF.

What’s the rear mudguard, is it also a Cyrca? I’ve currently borrowed the one I put on my old Kona Fire Mountain (1992) but it’s a little short!

Rear guard is a Zefal road rear; Zefal Road Rear Guard

Clean and dry ass after 50 miles with a lot of puddles! 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Rear guard is a Zefal road rear; Zefal Road Rear Guard

I use one of those. Really good, bit of a squeeze when using the saddle bag/rear light, but does all fit.

If you don’t already have a front mudguard, and just want to occasionally chuck one on the downtube, the swan/croozer pack is very good value at £15:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zefal-Swan-Croozer-Clip-On-Guard/dp/B005J528IS

iainc

Jamie – croozer and swan here too – very effective and much better off road than the SKS p45’s 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie – croozer and swan here too – very effective and much better off road than the SKS p45’s

Yup. Also found they rattle less than regular road guards, and much quicker to fit/remove.

It does mean my seat post is full up with the Swan and Topeak saddle pack on it, so have to mount the Lunar R2 on the seat stays.

iainc

coastkid – re getting ride sorted, have sent you a FB request through Sanny, cheers

jerrys
    Free Member

here’s my CdF. Took it for a spin around salisbury yesterday. The roads were fine, however off road was a bit challenging!

iainc

a bit muddy looking, even with cx tyres 🙂

stanfree
    Free Member

I ended plumping for a 2014 Cdf as I got it at a ridiculously good price 😉 , Anyhoo I picked it up in Herfordshire and road 55 miles into and through London . First impressions were that It’s really comfy despite the standard Madison prime seat . The big tyres mean thats It’s not a chore to ride on pot hole strewn roads , I also took it out tonight locally through easy singletrack trails and It was a hoot with full on clipped in broadsiding. 😀
    Obviously It’s heavier than my road bike but It seems like it will be way comfier over longer runs.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Croix De Fer alternatives . ?’ is closed to new replies.