• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by aP.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Croix de fer advice/help sought
  • popeye
    Free Member

I need to fit a pannier rack to my new Genesis Croix de fer. I tried to fit a topeak disc specific but it won't fit without what looks like major surgery due to where the mudguard eyes are fitted. I have ordered race blades for guards has anyone got a rack and/or guards fitted to a croix de feu and what make are they using,
    thanks

james-o
    Free Member

there's one with a round secion that fits into the D/O and uses a longer QR, so avoids the eyelets which are better used for the guards (do need a bit of spacing to clear the caliper tho) i forget who makes it offhand – tubus?

old man mountain also worth looking at, and blackburn have an axle-fit rack due soon.

we tried a chainstay-mount disc for this bike and the issue is that a road compact crank q-factor + std MTB or Cross chainstay length = heels hitting disc caliper every time. so we chose minor faff in rack sourcing / fitting over major faff in pedalling.. any further issues though and you can mail me direct, enquiries@genesisikes.co.uk

Mister-P
    Free Member

Blackburn axle fit EX1 rack is out now. Madison have them in stock.

aP
    Free Member

Take a look at the Trek Portland – chainstay mounted caliper = nice'n'easy guard/rack mounting

james-o
    Free Member

ap, we found that caused loads of heel-rub issues as i mentioned, how do you find the portland? if it's got a a triple it should be ok, but with a double it's an issue with chainstays shorter than 445mm.

aP
    Free Member

Fair enough.
    Its alright – I'd be a bit disappointed if I'd paid full price for it (sale item), its a bit sluggish compared to my normal road bikes, and to be honest I'm not keen on Trek road bike handling. I do like those carbon forks though, they're mostly why I bought it, I'm afraid to say. I quite like the brown colour 😉
    However, for a commuting and round town with panniers and mudguards bike its ok. Putting the bob-yak on it was not a good idea I think I can safely say… 😯
    I shall be heading up into town for beers near Spitalfields tonight so I do ride it and it makes me all the more appreciative of my no1 road bike when I head out on the club run at 8.45 on Saturday morning. 🙄

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Croix de fer advice/help sought’ is closed to new replies.