Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Croatia….should I stay or should I go now?
  • theredsnapper
    Free Member

Hi folks,

I’m currently over in Switzerland as part of a random European tour, and the idea of a spontaneous trip to Croatia for a week to ten days has cropped up, any tips, advice on where to go?

I have been a few years ago to Rovinj in Istria, but was wondering if folk had any experience of getting off the tourist routes, obviously the coas is a draw, but so is Plitvice national park etc….your touts very much welcome!

Oh, and if we go, it will be early Monday morning…not too much rush then..;)

Cheers in advance,

Red

iolo
    Free Member

I like Split.
    You can take a boat from there when you get bored to any of the magnificent islands.

iolo
    Free Member

I like Split.
    You can take a boat from there when you get bored to any of the magnificent islands.
    Dubrovnik is lovely too.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

Go! Lovely place, been a few times. Amazing scenery.

Dubrovnik is lovely as is Hvar and Korcula. Mijet is a national park on an island and is truly amazing. All of those places are do-able from Dubrovnik by boat. A good way to see places.

wrecker
    Free Member

Split & the islands are lovely. Plitvice is one of the most beautiful places I’ve ever seen.

JulianA
    Free Member

Krka Falls are worth a look if you’re down that way.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I only went in the mid 90s, for work and I’m guessing it’s changed a bit..
    But from what was left of the place then, it looked a lovely country.
    Kinda tempted to go back..

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Only been once and really should go again to see more of it. The Dalmatian Coast is stunning. And, even though it’s obviously a big tourist spot, Dubrovnik is definitely worth a visit. Beautiful city.

br
    Free Member

I only went in the mid 90s, for work and I’m guessing it’s changed a bit..

Me too, in Split – company I worked for had bought the Cement plant.

Lovely place for an early Spring break, too warm now though for me.

badnewz
    Free Member

Dalmatian coast is where you want to be.
    As above Split is the youngest, coolest city in Croatia.
    Explore the islands, you can stay one night on each, easy to find accommodation once you step off the boat, just go to the tourist office nearby.
    Parts of the main coastline do get very busy, especially when the Germans are on holiday.
    Oh and it can get very hot!

theredsnapper
    Free Member

Cheers folks…you’ve all just reinforced my thoughts….just planning a route on a Sunday night and have to check in the morning if I can drive through Slovenia with my insurance, it’s got the EU, Serbia and Croatia on the list, but no Slovenia…which seems a bugger!

I’m sure it’s possible, its not like they’re not linked, etc….doh!

Plan B if not….whatever that is!

Cheers,

Red

Jamie
    Free Member

Always wanted to go Croatia, mainly to go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plitvice_Lakes_National_Park

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s breathtaking Jamie. There is a calcium deposit in the water which sticks to all of the tree roots etc and makes the water a turquoise colour. There are bears there too, and they are the coolest of all the animals (everyone knows that).

sadexpunk

how do temperatures compare with greece/cyprus throughout the year? few degrees cooler? (still havent sorted next years hols yet)

vondally
    Free Member

zadar is wonderful

the lakes are great but there are lots of national parks and intresting inland places, the motorway cages are rather good especially for strudel

Avoid the cruise disembarkations unless for people watching

have a look at the recent history before you go makes interesting insight.

Have a look at Bosnia as well,

theredsnapper
    Free Member

I loved Robinj in Istria years ago, this is more about exploring, still unsure about this Slovenia car insurance cover thing, going to have to delay my departure from Switzerland until the insurance company opens at 9am…grr!

theredsnapper
    Free Member

*typo….Rovinj

donal
    Free Member

I was in Hvar when I was a student. We stayed in Hvar town. It was great fun. Lots of sun, good food and all. I went to Dubrovnik a few years ago with my partner. It is a very nice town but I am not sure if I would rush back. After Dubrovnik we got the ferry to Hvar and stayed in a town called Sveta Nedjelja. It was really beautiful. We went to go climbing there, but it was way too hot to do anything once the sun hit the rocks. It was a great week sitting in the sun, swimming and just relaxing.

29erKeith
    Free Member

+ for the Dalmatian coast and islands, also Montenegro is worth a trip.
    we had a couple of weeks there earlier in the year and really enjoyed it. Only about an hour’s drive from Dubrovnik to Kotor bay area, fjords mountains, national park, beaches and loads of nice old towns like Dubrovnik but a bit less touristy and full!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Croatia….should I stay or should I go now?’ is closed to new replies.