Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Croatia – Summer Holidays. Anyone been?
  • tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Thinking of Croatia for a short family summer holiday. Just wanted some advice on where to go etc if anyone has been – requirements beach, quiet towns and biking.

toby1

I went with Thomson to a small island called Lopud. As quiet towns go there are no motorised vehicles on the island. It’s about a 30 minute trip into Dubrovnik by boat. There’s a small beach by the hotel and a better beach a short walk away in the far side of the island. Eating in the evening wasn’t dirt cheap and choice was limited, but it was an incredibly relaxing holiday on a beautiful island, also the sea is crystal clear and perfect to swim in. I’d happily go back there.

tron
    Free Member

Croatia is awesome. So good that we’re going back for the third time this year, and we always said we’d never go to the same place twice. Porec and Dubrovnik are both nice, but you’ll struggle to find many sandy beaches.

dafoxster
    Free Member

I was in Punat, on the Island of Krk, this weekend for a Mountain Biking trip. Really beautiful area but it’s all rocks! I didn’t see any sand. The area was quiet although I am not sure what it is like in early season.

Biking was great and we found some great trails. It is rocky and bumpy and the trails are not too steep but some lovely flow.

shermer75
    Free Member

Heard nothing but good stuff about Croatia- good value and very beautiful.

wl
    Free Member

Dubrovnik’s lovely, but obviously very touristy. Great swimming all around there but no sandy beaches. Food is a bit limited/crap.

Aidy
    Free Member

We went a few years back at the end of June and it was very hot.

I’m okay with that, but the girlfriend found it very hard to cope with.
    So, probably depends on your heat tolerance, but might be worth considering a bit earlier/later.

alpin
    Free Member

Went a few years ago for a festival. Spent the days kite surfing (and nearly drowning) and the evenings copping off with two Scottish girls.

Was a memorable trip.

🙂

duner
    Free Member

Flew to Zadar and stayed on an island called Dugi Otok last July, chosen as it seemed pretty remote and non touristy, good reasonably priced food and drink, very quiet not much to do other than explore.

There was one nice sandy beach but plenty of other rocky places to get in the sea (which is crystal clear and amazing!). Hired a quad bike to get across the island, plenty of cycling if you want that though. Would definitely go back.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

We went to Pula for a short break last year – nice little town with a Roman amphitheatre and a great coastline nearby.

badnewz
    Free Member

Great country, although too popular these days in the height of summer, when half of Germany visits.
    Travelled the whole country a while back, for a short break, I’d probably mix it up – stay on the mainland for a few nights (Split, Zadar, or Trogir) and then catch a ferry (fairly inexpensive) to one of the islands like Hvar or Brac.

zbonty

I like it. Going back for festival action this summer. More gravely beaches but the sea is lovely. Some scenic bits and friendly people. Seems popular with Germans.

benman
    Free Member

Did a road trip down the coast last year – flew into Zadar, then drove down the coast to Dubrovnik, staying at various spots on the way.

Driving was easy, the roads were virtually empty.

The people I found quite stern at first, but genuine and friendly underneath.

Zadar – quiet city, old town is nice, not much in the way of beaches nearby

Visit the national parks – Krca was great

Makarksa riviera great for sandy beaches, but very busy.

Split – Loved it here. Great bars, lots of nice beaches, quite cosmopolitan, but not too expensive. Old town was lovely. Eat a chivapi!

Dubrovnik – Very pretty old town, good for island hopping, more expensive than other cities, gets busy when the cruise ships roll in.

Loved the trip, and would definitely go back. We’ve pencilled in a city break in Split again.

OrangeOrganic
    Free Member

Go to the Plitvice national park – google image to see, its pretty amazing

Staying on the islands is also a must, Rab, Krk etc are all good. Zadar is home to cheap flights, a sea organ and some good cafes and bars.

stoke1
    Free Member

Hvar is really nice. Great restaurants & bars.

It isn’t particularly ‘beach-y’ mainly rocks – but still really pretty.

iolo
    Free Member

Fly into Split. Do a day there. Get a boat to Dubrovnik. Couple of days there. Then head towards one of the islands – I liked Hvar. Relax there. Boat back to Split. Home. Nice and relaxing.

beanum

As above. Hvar is really cool. Hiring a boat and pootling around the islands offshore can’t be beat. Dubrovnik is great, if the hotels are pricey then Cavtat is a short boat trip/drive away and is really nice too.
    We’ve stayed on Kolocep a couple of times, there’s one big beach in a curving bay, one hotel and a couple of restaurants so it’s relaxing, not a party town like Hvar.
    Kolocep hotel

The people are strange, they seem really standoffish at first but if you learn a few words they respond to it. Both times we returned hire cars we met some incredible staff who went out of their way to help us.. 🙂

cbike
    Free Member

Mali Losinj

Hot Hot Hot – But not uncomfortable.

This was good fun. http://www.croyak.com/
    The campsite had 5000 people in it. Sounds like hell? Actually it was quiet and a lovely place to be. You could let kids away for the day and not see them until dinner.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

just got in… thanks for the replies.

Alpin – nice unfortunately i’ll have to be straight and solid 😀

Dafoxter – assume you took your own bike(s)?

Looks like Split seems a good place to fly into and then as suggested Dubrovnik, Plitvice national park and island hopping.

Anyone been in late October, weather wise is it still warm enough?

talulah
    Free Member

Have been twice. Stayed on the island of Brac just off the coast near Split. It is beautiful really laid back and lots of cycling possible especially around the mountain top. Some great trails that are being extended and hopefully a little easier to follow! Cars drivers do expect you to get out of the way as well as everything else it seems so have to be a little careful. There is a beautiful river on the mainland inland from Omis rafting kayaking and swimming plus more cycling. The first time was midsummer very hot but packed with tourists was nice to get on my bike and find an empty beach. There are lots you can’t reach by road. The second time early October we caught the end of summer very nice but the weather turned cold and rainy in the last few days. I wouldn’t go that late again. Have fun! – oh and the only downside – everybody and their mum smokes!

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

Thanks Talulah sounds great

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Croatia – Summer Holidays. Anyone been?’ is closed to new replies.