Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Croatia – Makarska
  • toonfan
    Free Member

Has anyone been? We’re going for a week in August. Looking for things to do and see while we’re there.

Then off to Trogir for our 2nd week.

jblewi
    Free Member

I have been through there while on a cycle tour throught the area.

Didnt have any time off there but its a really nice little town! What transport do you have?

You can get over to the islands from there to explore, maybe a day or two trip south to Dubrovnik? National park right behind to explore.

Maybe a trip over to Mostar from there too?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Trogir’s nice. It’s like a mini Split, which I believe is like a mini Dubrovnic but lots cheaper. We stayed at Seget Donji, 15 mins walk from Trogir.

prontomonto

You can drive (or cycle) to the top of Biokovo mountain, at 1700m beside the sea it’s pretty spectacular.

Watch the lads playing water polo.

Swim off the rocks on the far side of the head or go up and down the coast trying different beaches.

A trip into Bosnia to Mostar or even Sarajevo is worth a thread in itself, Bosnia’s a very interesting place.

toonfan
    Free Member

I have been through there while on a cycle tour throught the area.

Didnt have any time off there but its a really nice little town! What transport do you have?

You can get over to the islands from there to explore, maybe a day or two trip south to Dubrovnik? National park right behind to explore.

Maybe a trip over to Mostar from there too?

We’re flying into Split then a Taxi to Makarska. I’ll probably look at hiring a car for a few days when we get there.

Would love to go to Dubrovnik, it looks like a beautiful place.

Mostar sounds tempting too.

Thank you all for the replies.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Don’t know anything about Makarska but we pick our charter boat up from Trogir – nice little place. Quite busy but some lovely restaurants in the old bit of the town and the ice cream is most excellent.

Should be properly hot.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

It would be fun being a postman in Trogir, you’ll see why when you get there!

Great little place.

slowoldman

Dubrovnik is a lovely town. I was there years ago on a conference. Good cheap beer and sea food. Rats like cats. I wonder if the graffiti is still there – “Only good Serb is dead Serb”?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

A trip into Bosnia to Mostar or even Sarajevo is worth a thread in itself, Bosnia’s a very interesting place.

Agreed. It’s on my list. The Mostar bridge is meant to be worth seeing; it reopened while I was living in Croatia in 2004.

Dubrovnik is a lovely town.

Personally I prefer Split – it was more ‘real’. Dubrovnik is very cool, but also a tourist hotspot and a place to see and be seen. It will also be full of Italians in August (as will most places on the coast) as Italy takes the month off. However, it is beautiful; eat pizza in the backstreets, guess the films it’s been in and walk the walls if you go.

Trogir’s nice.

Have to admit I don’t know it. Was meant to go there on a yacht charter, but had to deal with a few days of storms instead (which was an adventure in itself).

I lived on Kor?ula for seven months and would recommend the islands too. I can wax lyrical about them, but as the lower ones I know better are a bit of a hike for you, I won’t. 🙂

(I’ve also spouted lots on other Croatia threads on here)

toonfan
    Free Member

Thanks for that Pimpmaster Jazz.

We went to Hvar a couple of years ago and what a lovely place that is. A lot of the people we spoke to there were amazed we were spending a whole fortnight in the same place. As much as we loved it I think they were right. So we’re hoping to see a bit more of Croatia this time around.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Pimpy, we’re heading towards Hvar this year (did all around the Kornati National Park last year and just north of Split the year before) – any suggestions on where’s good by boat?

badnewz
    Free Member

Great place, one of my favourites.
    Split is really fun. You are living in the old Roman palace, so you can’t get closer to history. Very cool place and the views are amazing. It feels a bit more real than Dubrovnik which is still awesome but is getting a bit Venice-like – suffering through too much tourism.
    If you are there for 2 weeks, definitely go to the islands, Hvar is great, esp Hvar Town. Brac IMO is more for families, especially Supertar, which is ok for a quick visit but nothing more than that. Bol beach on Brac is fun for a visit.
    I never got as far as Korcula but it looks fantastic too. I would do maybe 9 days on the mainland and 5 island hopping.
    Bosnia – I found it really depressing and poor, I wouldn’t go back.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

We went to Hvar a couple of years ago and what a lovely place that is. A lot of the people we spoke to there were amazed we were spending a whole fortnight in the same place. As much as we loved it I think they were right. So we’re hoping to see a bit more of Croatia this time around.

Yeah, they can be a little limited, although apparently there’s marked trails on Hvar now.

Pimpy, we’re heading towards Hvar this year (did all around the Kornati National Park last year and just north of Split the year before) – any suggestions on where’s good by boat?

Kor?ula is my old hood, so I know that reasonably well. The town itself if stunning and has quite a large harbour, although I suspect it’s pretty pricy. If you do stay there get a cocktail in the tower at the far end of the town’s peninsular as the sun goes down. 🙂 It seemed more touristy back in 2012 when we were there, but it’s still very much worth a visit. I’d live there. 😀

Otherwise Lumbarda is a short sail away with a large harbour with facilities – it is/was also a Sunsail base (and Neilson before that). It’s a short taxi ride to Kor?ula but otherwise has quite a few restaurants, but little/no nightlife. There used to be a cracking pizza/Italian place on at the far end of the harbour called something beginning with K (it may even have been Konoba Feral, looking at Google Maps) that was open for about six weeks of the year. Zuré’s also dealt with local food and was meant to be very good, although I only ate there once and the owner was a funny old sod. More (pronounced ‘Morr-ey’) was very nice. The local wine – exclusive to Kor?ula – is called Grk, and it’s awful. Don’t even bother trying it.

At the other end of the island Vela Luka is pretty lively and has a decent harbour, although I only went there briefly.

Mljet is very quiet and a third of it is national park. I seem to recall there only being one bar in Sobra, or something similarly daft. Beautiful island though.

Lastavo used to be a u-boat hideout by all accounts. I believe there’s a cave there you can sail into. There’s also an e-boat wreck that can be dived. I never got down to it because the dive school owner in Lumbarda was – frankly – a ****. Despite getting loads of diving in during my previous season I didn’t go once in Croatia. If military stuff tickles your fancy there’s loads of fortifications facing Italy from Tito’s time that you can get to on foot too.

As an island Bra? is meant to be popular, but I never went there.

Tripanj on the Pelješac Peninsular is beautiful; only passed through (twice) it to drive to the to the other side of the coast to get another ferry, but it seemed small and perfectly formed – incredibly picturesque. However, its counterpart on the mainland, Plo?e is a bit of a hole that’s still recovering from being part of the eastern bloc.

Most of the smaller coastal villages have a harbour and a restaurant, and welcome tourists. There’s also a restaurant called Stupe on an island called Vela Stupa between Lumbarda and the peninsular that was meant to be nice. Very fresh sea food, IIRC.

Racking my brains for more now, but that’s what stands out. I was mountain biking there so didn’t get away too much (one week on flotilla, a few roadtrips and then drove back down in 2012) but am still in touch with some of the yacht crew. Ping me if you want some more info and I’ll give a few of them a shout to get their recommendations.

Oh yeah – you like seafood don’t you? 😉

sharkbait
    Free Member

Cheers Pimpy…. great to have some pointers 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Croatia – Makarska’ is closed to new replies.