Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Critique my little MTB tour
  • hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I have a few days free in October and I want to spend them riding my mountain bike. So I thought I’d do a little loop in my car, to a different ride each day. I live near Halifax, W Yorks.

Day 1: Llandegla
    Day 2: Long Mynd
    Day 3: High Peak Trail

Any better suggestions? Or any reason why I shouldn’t do the above?

jekkyl

They’re all half a day ride, is this what you were trying to achieve?

Esme
    Free Member

High Peak Trail? Along a disused railway line? Err, why?

oldnpastit

Looks like more of a driving tour than a cycling tour.

PolisherMan

Very strange combination. Why not 3 days in Wales?

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

If it was me I’d just go and stay in one place for the 3 days, somewhere with 3 days of riding on the doorstep. Better than faffing about moving and driving somewhere new every day.

soundninjauk

Go stay at the Dales Bike Centre up in Swaledale and get 3 days of awesome riding off the doorstep?

vincienup
    Free Member

Um. The High Peak Trail is an odd one. If you’re looking for an inoffensive little ride along a hardback surface with no challenges and pretty scenery/easy access to touristy small towns then it’s great, but are you sure it’s what you’re looking for? If you’re looking for something MTB’ish then I’d start with the Vertebrate guides. Something like the ‘Kinder Enduro’ is a good loop without being particularly hardcore and still has some great sights along the way as you basically do three separate summits and drop down Jacob’s Ladder to finish (apart from a short roll back into Edale)

MartynS

As you asked..
    Llamdegla. If you want an easy trail centre do the Marin or penmachno (Marin is my choice)
    Llandegla is (was) terrible. Basically s long BMX track

Long mynd. Good choice. Do it

High peak trail. Do you really mean the disused railway line?
    Didn’t think so. I’d do a loop starting in Hope going over to ladybower and back.

Whatever you do, enjoy it!!

stuc
    Free Member

Depending on how much riding you want each day you could do marin/Penmachno before Llandegla. Day two you could do either Hopton or Eastridge onto the long myndd. Depends what you were expecting from high peak trail but if it’s a proper mtb route just head to hope/castleton/edale/ladybower area instead.

This will split things in to half day rides at each place so for you to decide if you want to do the travelling and logistics associated with that.

jekkyl

I’d stay in Wales, do the world’s end extension to degla so it lasts more than half a day, then drive over to where it all started Coedybrenin and sack off the high Peak trail and do the marin or the long mynd with a longer drive.

RustySpanner

Hiya.

If you want to borrow some guidebooks for the Peak/Lakes/Wales/Yorkshire, let me know.

Just over the hill, can drop them off for you.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Good set of responses – thanks all.

Very strange combination. Why not 3 days in Wales?

‘cos I want to try a N Wales trail centre, Long Mynd (heard it’s good riding), and a big natural wildernessy day. Doesn’t have to be the Peak District – it was just an idea.

They’re all half a day ride, is this what you were trying to achieve?

Hmmm maybe I could do more…

High peak trail. Do you really mean the disused railway line?

Oh – no. That would really suck. Think I was confusing it with something else. No I want a big challenging wilderness loop on natural trails where I don’t see another soul all day, scare myself shitless with the riding, and get some good photos of the scenery.

‘Kinder Enduro’

Oooh…

Depending on how much riding you want each day you could do marin/Penmachno before Llandegla.

Great idea – thanks

Day two you could do either Hopton or Eastridge onto the long myndd

I’ll look into that.

Go stay at the Dales Bike Centre up in Swaledale and get 3 days of awesome riding off the doorstep?

and that.

I’d stay in Wales, do the world’s end extension to degla so it lasts more than half a day, then drive over to where it all started Coedybrenin and sack off the high Peak trail and do the marin or the long mynd with a longer drive.

and that.

Whatever you do, enjoy it!!

Thank you

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Hiya.
    If you want to borrow some guidebooks for the Peak/Lakes/Wales/Yorkshire, let me know.
    Just over the hill, can drop them off for you.

Where are you mate? I’m Ripponden these days. Could I take a ride over to you one night this week?

RustySpanner

In Burnley matey.

Will need the Wales ones for a couple of weeks, but you’re more than welcome to borrow the others.

If you can hang on a couple of weeks you can borrow the lot.

Drop us a line and we’ll sort it out.
    🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Critique my little MTB tour’ is closed to new replies.