Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Criticise Royal Mail all you want, but…
  • SaxonRider

This is absolutely fantastic! There is no way Canada Post could have pulled it off.

daftvader
    Free Member

As an ex postie I have to say that we are (were) the best in the world…. If possible the good posties would go beyond the call of duty to get something done. Yes there were those that didn’t give a shit, but most were there when needed. Salutation to those in the uniform, you deserve it….

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Excellent! we had a guy on our wing who received a Xmas card with *’A0001AA John Smith* ‘Weatherby’, on it. There’s 2 jails near Wetherby & Royal Mail don’t have access to the prison database but it reached the guy in 2 days after posting.
    Not bad really.

postierich
    Free Member

Not that remarkable as there was a label on there when it entered the processing machine which franks a barcode on to the letter (the red mark) its then sorted by a machine to the relevant street, the postman only has to maybe knock a few doors and if he is the regular postie will probably remember a foreign card from last year 😉
    But we are good even though we get bad press 🙂

JoeG
    Free Member

Drac

How did they know which town?

Frankenstein
    Free Member

My Postie is ace.

aracer
    Free Member

postierich (who should know better than me) has it up there – and it also mentions it in the article. Presumably it was originally better addressed, as it has been sorted and given a barcode which will have got it most of the way. Still excellent service from the postie to find the recipient (personally I’m a big fan of posties – the ones we have round here are great).

cynic-al
    Free Member

Do posties swap labels on things?

postierich
    Free Member

only when it suits!

nasher
    Free Member

When I was a child a friend in England sent me a card and said “To Adrian Nash somwhere in North Wales, please try and find him Mr Postman”

paulosoxo
    Free Member

only when it‘s[s] suits[/s] shorts

🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

we had friends who would get mail addressed “house on the corner <name of village>” the house wasn’t even in the village 😕

TheDTs
    Free Member

My Dad was once out on the town, when he was a much younger chap..
    He dropped / lost his wallet without realising.
    Went home to bed.
    Woken up by post man the next morning, here I found your wallet last night…

kayla1
    Free Member

Our usual postie is also ace- hiya Geoff (or Jeff)! We send loads of stuff out (business, but we use a local post office) and very little goes missing. The Royal Mail get a shoeing from people (me included sometimes) but they’re pretty blinking good.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

Postie is ace.. post office staff with NIMBY attitude are crap ( quotes- we’re not the same company, I dont have any terms and conditions of any service we sell, you need special delivery for anything you send, its not insured.)

So glad they got rid of the staff and replaced them with a corner shop with a counter.

CountZero

Not that remarkable as there was a label on there when it entered the processing machine which franks a barcode on to the letter (the red mark) its then sorted by a machine to the relevant street, the postman only has to maybe knock a few doors and if he is the regular postie will probably remember a foreign card from last year

Does depend; I handle a very large amount of mail usually at work, and we do get mis-directed mail, which is to be expected, however it’s also not unusual to have letters returned after they’ve been given back to the post office, often multiple times, even after the red barcode has been obscured! The irony is that the main sorting office, which also picks up huge amounts of mail from us, is about 100 yards along the road, so one might think they’d know who we are.
    The best one was a large, bright pink envelope, addressed to someone in Mumbai, and posted in Essex, that was repeatedly delivered to us in Chippenham seven times over the course of a fortnight.
    I still fail to understand just how that could have been possible.
    I’ve even had letters returned after I’ve written on the envelope to be delivered to the address on the front, not our address, with the barcode obscured as well.
    Seems sometimes you just can’t get the staff… 😉

MoreCashThanDash

Agree we are too quick to slag them off when they (occasionally) get it wrong.

MrsMC once lost the house keys in 6 inches of snow taking the kids to school. The postie found them. They had a Tesco club card keyring on so she took them to the Tesco in the village. Who did nothing.

But the postie told someone who told someone who had heard she had lost the keys and the postie called to the tell us what she had done with them. Cracking service.

And she looks great in shorts!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Criticise Royal Mail all you want, but…’ is closed to new replies.