Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Cristal champagne?
  • benz
    Free Member

Mate at work and his wife enjoy going to Dubai a few times a year for a break.

Apparently they enjoy the odd bottle of Cristal.

Now, I’m happy with sparkling stuff from Aldi and might push out to a known brand of fizz depending upon what Costco have deals on.

However, I’m curious about this spending well over £100 on a bottle of fizz….could I taste the difference? Or is it a simple marketing technique to achieve very, very high profits?

Thanks.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mate at work and his wife enjoy going to Dubai a few times a year for a break.

Apparently they enjoy the odd bottle of Cristal.

They just want to make sure that everyone knows that they’re

Overpriced tosh.

Rubber_Buccaneer

You can only know by trying it. I haven’t and probably wont bother. I have a suspicion its more style than substance but without a taste? Of course there is the fact I’d rather be bladdered on several bottles of something cheaper but that’s just a class thing 🙂

jimjam
    Free Member

£100? When I was proposing to the (now) wife I popped down to my local craft offie and bought a couple nice bottles of champagne for us and for our families. It was xmas eve and the guy behind me asked “how much is your best champagne?” £700 Cristal replied the guy at the till”. “I’ll take two” said mr fancy pants.

Kind of made me feel a bit of a bum, but she said yes and we had a great party announcing it to both our families despite our pauper champagne.

petrieboy

enjoy going to Dubai

They sound quite dreadful

benz
    Free Member

I also subscribe to the more for less model. 😳

chrisdiesel
    Free Member

Tried it a few times and also spades even more expensive I think. Genuinely all tastes like £4 aldi sparking wine to me.
    The fact the clubs I’ve had it in bringing it with musical fanfare and sparklers is why 99.9% of people drink it in clubs it’s a big look at how rich I am.

julians
    Free Member

I haven’t tried it,I don’t like champagne,but we bought a bottle for my sister in law as a wedding present,as shes always said she wanted to try some. she said it was exceptionally nice,and shed drink it all the time if she could afford it.

tazzymtb

Smothing like a nice piper heidsieck maybe, cristal…nah

pguy78
    Free Member

I was best an at a wedding last summer. The groom bought a bottle for pre wedding drinks for the ushers and myself. It was nice, but a bit lost on me. Would of been happy with a bottle of peroni.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Petrieboy, quite.

A hideously naff temple of tat built by slave labour. Makes Las Vegas seem tasteful and honest.

Recently, have been enjoying Hambledon Classic Cuvee NV. Local, fresh and lovely.
    Oh, and Camille Saves. Delicious small producer. Decently priced, too.

sadmadalan

Good quality vintage champagne tastes better than the average bottle and especially better than the Aldi fizz.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

tazzymtb – Member
    Smothing like a…

One assumes that’s some kind of champagne snob language. 😛

tazzymtb

Nooooo that’s drunked imbecile with fingers like a chimp on a smart phne language

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Been on the cava again have we tazzers? 😀

tazzymtb

Amd im not a snob. .I am however unfortunately massively posh and then abandoned the family estates to be a scum bag junkie punk for a few years

tazzymtb

Good lord no, dear boy. This evening has mostly bewn spent with a rather delightful absinthe and opium laced tea

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m just downing a pre-holiday Lambrini.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tazzy, seen earlier today;
    Clicky linky

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

“how much is your best most expensive champagne?”

Most expensive doesn’t always, in fact rarely, means best. At a recent whisky tasting session which included whiskies int the £200-£300 a bottle category, the second best was the cheapest (Old Perth at £25).

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

Emperor’s new clothes. Complete pretentious bollix.

jimjam
    Free Member

ChubbyBlokeInLycra – Member

“how much is your best most expensive champagne?”

Most expensive doesn’t always, in fact rarely, means best. At a recent whisky tasting session which included whiskies int the £200-£300 a bottle category, the second best was the cheapest (Old Perth at £25).

I can’t actually remember his exact wording, he may have asked for most expensive. I generally don’t or can’t drink champers but I find the Sainsburys own stuff “Antoine DeClevecy” I think it’s called is much nicer than the £50 a bottle stuff.

I rarely drink whiskey, and when I do I can just about handle Jameson or Powers. However, I bought my friend a bottle of Middleton 1987 Very rare and helped him drink it. oh my gee!

mikemorini
    Free Member

I thought only hip hop artists from the West coast drank it in videos whilst being fondled by hoes. And it most probably tasted like paint stripper.
    Obviously I was wrong.

tails
    Free Member

Christ! It’s no where near as bad as the guys above are saying, it’s far better than cheap fiz but I agree the difference between a bottle of mumm and cristal is probably not worth the extra ££. Only live once buddy, just buy some I think you can get it for £125 or buy a glass at a posh bar.

I agree those champagne parties are complete toss and a waste of champagne.

tails
    Free Member

There is probably a wine or champagne version of STW. They’ll sort you out if you want to drink champs.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There is probably a wine or champagne version of STW.

750ml really brings the wine alive.

jimjam
    Free Member

There is probably a wine or champagne version of STW. They’ll sort you out if you want to drink champs.

What estate car for transporting Cristal.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Cristal overpriced celeb footballer stuff, try a nice understated Ruinart, the oldest and best Champagne house. That or some Thatchers 😉

theteaboy
    Free Member

I once got my hands on a couple of bottles of Perrier Jouet Belle Epoque after a Danish wine merchant went bust.

It was astonishingly nice. I drank a little too much and was hung over the next day.

nealglover
    Free Member

750ml really brings the wine alive.

But 4500ml bring the party alive.

69er_Gav
    Free Member

Tried it twice and it is very good if you’re into that sort of sparkling wine, however the brut nv made the same producer Louis Roederer for under £40 is far better value.

“There is probably a wine or champagne version of STW. They’ll sort you out if you want to drink champs”

Its known as http://www.wine-pages.com

grahamh
    Free Member

when I live in Canterbury we where twined with Reims
    This was considered the dog ‘doo dars’

jambalaya
    Free Member

If you drink it side by side with a lesser Champagne you can notice the differences. Do I drink it, no but I am of the vidw that most decent Champagne is relatively similar. I’m much more willing to spend that sort of money on wines

Rubber_Buccaneer

I’m much more willing to spend that sort of money on wines

Oh crap, I didn’t even realise champagne wasn’t a wine 😳

JulianA
    Free Member

As one who would prefer water to Mumm Cordon Rouge and finds Belle Époque to be much better than Moët et Chandon ordinary I should expect Cristal to be rather good. Louis Roederer do make a nice drop of wine.

La Grande Dame and M. Dom Perignon are very welcome at JulianA towers (if they should ever choose to visit). PJ ordinary would be the quaffing champagne of choice… (So far)

Señor Cordon Negro is not welcome.

Robz
    Free Member

I’d rather waste that sort of money on a nice old bottle of red.

JulianA
    Free Member

We once had a ‘do’ where the minimum entry ticket was a bottle of champagne and someone turned up with a bottle of something ‘brut’ and the explanation that ‘brut was a champagne grape’. Needless to say they were welcome anyway.

wool

Delamotte NV Champagne the sommeliers choice. Soon this fad for prosseco will be over just as its was for cava champage will rule again ( manic laughter)

Andy_B

For a normal priced bottle I’d go for Louis Roederer NV.

Since there’s a lot of good advice, does anyone have any alternatives to Laurent Perrier Rosé? Something enjoyed equally by people who drink and those who are happy on a dirty bottle of Lambrusco?

caspian
    Free Member

Never tried it so shouldn’t really be posting, but the last party we had I swapped out Veuve Clicquot champagne for White Lightening extra strength cider and no-one noticed. Poured the drinks into champagne glasses in the kitchen.

Not sure what that says about my friends. Or me for that matter.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Cristal champagne?’ is closed to new replies.