Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Crimped connectors used in 240v system – is this allowed?
  • globalti
    Free Member

Synchrono motor on our CH/HW is playing up so I plan to replace it with a new one. When I pulled out the cables from the trunking I was surprised to find this:

Can I just replace these crimped connectors with a 15A terminal block for ease of future replacement? Is there a better solution like a disconnectable plug & socket?

martinhutch

My synchron (replaced last week) has crimped connectors. Think it’s only about 3A so a block would be fine.

I’d agree that crimped connectors aren’t a good idea in that application though. As I found out last week. 😳

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

The red crimp connectors there are normally rated at 5 amp (blue are 15amp). I used to use them to hardwire car audio. I wouldn’t personally use them on 240v. But I guess if the amps are correct then it would be OK? No idea if it meets building regs – I doubt it or you would see crimp connectors next to chocolate blocks and junction boxes in B&Q.

takisawa2

Should wrap them in self amalgam tape ideally.
    Nowt wrong with crimps, but should ideally be done with a ratchet crimper.
    Heat shrink ones are best.

spectraken
    Free Member

Crimp connectors are more than suitable for flex cable so long as they have been stripped and crimped properly with a ratchet tool. I tend to do a pull test just to make sure. Ideally all the crimps would have been staggered and then heat shrink applied over all the inner insulation. And B&Q sell boxes of crimp connectors next to the choc blocks and JBs too but they are way overpriced.

An alternative to crimps would be to boot lace ferrule each core and then put into terminal block mounted inside a junction box.

astormatt
    Free Member

What Takisawa said, nothing wrong with crimps at all, more permanent connection than normal screw type connectors. Those push in wire connectors are great but wont fit back in the trunking, if it is not in the trunking then connections need to be in a suitable enclosure.

globalti
    Free Member

Thanks. I’ve just worked out that I don’t need to touch the wiring – I can simply fit the new synchron motor I happen to have! D’oh!

Cougar

230V.

I’d have soldered them, myself.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

+Takisawa

Crimps + heatshrink = less bulky than choc block and junction box.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Crimped connectors used in 240v system – is this allowed?’ is closed to new replies.