Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Crest rim – help please
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Trying to install Maxxis tyres (non-UST) on 29er Crest rims

Have fitted the 25mm Stan’s tape as per instructions

Can get the tyre to seat in the bead and inflate no problem

But over a few hours the tyre slowly deflates

Have used a couple of scoops of Stan’s fluid

Am I right in thinking I need to reinstall the tape?

boxelder

Try adding more fluid – the tyre walls are a bit porous and this can take a while to ‘fill’. Any gap under the tape that let air out would let fluid out too, so you’d see it leaking from a spoke hole, or the fluid would seal it. Have you spun the wheel and given it a good shake to make sure it’s all along the bead? Pump it up hard and ride it around.
    I find non LUST Maxxis can take a few pumps, before staying up.

Tom83

Did you get the tyres on with your hands, or use levers? If you did use levers you might have nicked the tape? I’ve done that before..

mintimperial

I had this with 26″ Crests and non-tubeless-ready High Rollers. Pretty sure it was just the tyres.

Add a bit more fluid, and slosh it around lots. Leave it to settle, add more air tomorrow and slosh again, and the day after, and the day after that. I had to keep topping them up with air for a couple of weeks until they settled down completely. They’re fine now though, and they hold air better than my tubed wheels.

ruscle
    Free Member

If it was the tape you would have sealent seeping out of a spoke hole along with the air. Fill a bath and dip the wheel, you will then see if the air is coming from the rim or tyre. I’ve had it in the past where I would get tiny air bubbles clinging to the surface of the tyre and this was the leak where it would seep air from the sides but not with enough pressure to feel or hear it. If I brushed the bubbles off they would apear again on the sides of the tyre but not bunble up through the water. Good luck, it can be a pain to get these systems running sweet but all worth it in the end.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Thanks all

It’s not coming out through the spokes holes, it’s coming out between the tyre and the rim in just a couple of places

Will try more fluid tomorrow

cynic-al
    Free Member

You did wet the bead with soapy water?

matthew_h
    Free Member

A couple of scoops of fluid should be fine. Try deflating the tyre to about 10 psi and going for a quick roll round. This squishes the fluid into all the nooks and crannies and helps it to seal everything up.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Presumably soapy water just helps the tyre mount on the bead? If so that’s not the problem here

duckers
    Free Member

I’ve got crests with schwalbe (non tubeless tyres) and they lost quite a bit of air at first.
    I installed the rim tape & tubeless valves, pumped them up to about 60psi until the bead pinged on, put the stans juice in, shook it about a bit, let some air out so the tyres were quite soft and went for a bit of a ride (as mathew h describes), then I layed the wheels flat on a bucket, pumping up, shaking and rotating over a weekend until the juice had penetrated the porous sidewalls.

BadlyWiredDog

Just a bit more sealant. Swish it around – think figure of eight motion – stick the wheel in the bike, go for a five-minute ride. Leave for a few hours. Top up air. Oh, and make sure the valve is sealing properly against the rim and the valve stem is also holding air – sometimes they get gummed with a small bit of sealant and slow leak.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Crest rim – help please’ is closed to new replies.