Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Creepy emails – how to find out who sent them
  • greenboy
    Free Member

LAdy at work recieving creepy emails from someone she supsects works with her but no proof. Apart from blocking emials if there a way to identify the actual sender?

Someone is sure to know, my faith in you guys is boundless!!!

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

The most illegal way to find out is to access the one of the alleged sender’s electronic devices, and see if they have any records of sending them.

Other than that, unless they have been really stupid in their email name of choice, then not much you can do. Also, even if they have named themselves, Bobfromcubicle4@itsafaircopguv.com, then it could still be someone setting them up.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I know what you’re wearing…

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

In seriousness though, sometimes it can be as simple as popping the email address in the Facebook search bar.

scaled
    Free Member

Are they just coming from a hotmail/yahoo type account?

greenboy
    Free Member

Its FS MAil account.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

If you can look at the Internet Headers for the mail, you may be able to trace backwards using the IP addresses.
    I was subject to several abusive emails from a former colleague, and traced him to his new employer, and provided them with the internal IP address of the PC where the webmail was sent from. They acted pretty swiftly to stop his actions using their IT equipment.

If you are using Outlook, open one of the mails and open it’s properties (in 2010 it is under the File Tab). The Internet Headers are located there.
    If the IP address trail leads to a work PC, then report immediately to your IT department/Admin.
    Use WhoIs to trace the IP addresses.

scaredypants

send a load of messages to the account and listen for whose phone “pings” ?

More seriously, if by creepy you mean that she’s frightened by them, there’s new stalky legislation isn’t there – get it reported to the police

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

sometimes it can be as simple as popping the email address in the Facebook search bar.

Also try the same in twitter, google etc.

Had problems in the past with dodgy dealers in classifieds etc and managed to track them down and get things sorted with a bit of guile and cunning.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Did they begin with ‘Evening’? 😀

scaredypants

Did they begin with ‘Evening’?

😆

Murray

IP headers are fine but can be easily faked

greenboy
    Free Member

I’ve tried the IP route but it just gives me a Tiscali address in London, I like the lots of emails and see who’s phone ping idea. Off to try it!!!

slowoldman

Mine’s on silent.

willard

Which header were you looking at? There is one that discloses the sender’s IP address (X-Originating-IP:) that may be able to tell you more information.

Well, it wil allow you to tie it down to an IP address block or, if it is within your company, which workstation.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Send them an email saying they’ve won a car in a prize and can the come to the car park to collect it. Bound to show up.

steveoath
    Free Member

Forward to line manager to deal with?

Cougar

I can take a look at the Internet Header if you can get it and email it to me. If it’s from a public email provider (eg, Hotmail, Gmail) however then the chances are somewhere between ‘slim’ and ‘none’ of working out anything meaningful.

FSnet is Orange / EE these days IIRC. You could always contact the ISP with the details; they’re unlikely to give you any user information but they might take action on her behalf. You could try forwarding it to abuse@fsnet.co.uk or wherever it’s seemingly originating from.

hels
    Free Member

Forward to line manager – bit early for that. Filed straight under he said/she said.

If it is coming to her work email she can ask IT to block the account. If it is from a private email to her private email, then she can mark the sender as spam with most email types.

P.s are you sure – she might be making this shit up to get your attention cos she has a massive crush on you.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP unless they are daft its easy to hide the real sender or simply create a new email address. So the answer is no its not easy

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Creepy emails – how to find out who sent them’ is closed to new replies.