• This topic has 56 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Dancake.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Creeping forward at traffic lights
  • Dancake
    Free Member

why?

You will not get to your destination any faster so stop.

Put car in neutral
    Apply handbrake
    Relax
    Don’t be a c**t

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Chill, don’t have a heart attack over someone else

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Relax
    Don’t be a c**t

Excellent advise. Thought of taking it ?

Dancake
    Free Member

Chill, don’t have a heart attack over someone else

I have just had battered butter so anything is possible

CountZero

Saucer of milk to go?

Dancake
    Free Member

Relax
    Don’t be a c**t

so you endorse creeping forward at traffic lights in your [strike]AUDI ?[/strike] horse and carriage

alexonabike

oh what it is to live in a place that has traffic lights. and cars…!

pebblebeach
    Free Member

so you endorse creeping forward at traffic lights in your AUDI ? horse and carriage

Apart From you I don’t think anyone gives a shit.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

so you endorse creeping forward at traffic lights in your AUDI ? horse and carriage

I endorse your advise, I thought that was obvious – no ?

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Advise??

Dancake
    Free Member

I endorse your advise, I thought that was obvious – no ?

[list]whatonearth[/list]

confused now

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

confused now

Because I spelt it advise, or ’cause you’re pissed ?

martymac

it doesnt bother me, but i cant understand the logic behind it.
    when lights are red i stop at the line and wait for them to change.
    but i have noticed a small minority of peeps who almost stop a car length back and then proceed to creep forward until the lights change again.
    effectively, they never actually come to a complete stop.
    i havent paid enough attention to this phenomenon to be able to identify a type of person by car brand, gender etc though.

samuri
    Free Member

If you’re on a bike then the people doing it are intimidating and dangerous.

muckytee
    Free Member

That and people who try to do that on a gradient and just end up edging backwards and forwards. I don’t know why, but I just want to rag them out of their cars and stamp on their heads.

martinxyz
    Free Member

My handbrake failed earlier and I had to go back and forth a number of times to stop me causing hundreds of pounds worth of damage to the Audi behind me. I tried to control it as well as possible but it was hard with a guy in the rear view mirror looking like he could have.. jumped on my head or something. Angry sod so he was.

zokes
    Free Member

My handbrake failed earlier and I had to go back and forth a number of times to stop me causing hundreds of pounds worth of damage to the Audi behind me.

Was clutch control not taught when you passed your test?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Spend some time in Italy – people don’t give a stuff about other people’s driving. Ignore it, so what!

martinxyz
    Free Member

It was. I had the option of clutch control or a 3 minute humour lesson so I decided to take that instead. If they offered the the 40 minute humour lesson at the end.. then I would have came up with a better reply to Muckytee’s post ;O)

IanMunro
    Free Member

Back to the OP, round here it seems to have become a lot more prevalent in the last year. No idea why, and it seems such a ridiculous thing to do too.

Dancake
    Free Member

firstly, apologies for the tone of my original post.

Its the psychology of it all that irritates me. If someone is so rushed, tense and wound up that they cannot bear to apply the brake (and then often anticipate the lights changing and move off early) then how do they go about their normal driving duties?

cynic-al
    Free Member

What about people who stand up in planes as soon as the seatbelt sign is off?

eh?

GrahamS

I’m with you Dancake.

I’m also irritated by the folk that sit at the lights with their foot on the brake, then roll backwards when they try to pull away. Use the handbrake you muppet.

eh?

Yeah them too. Or worse the ones that stand up as soon as the wheels touch the Tarmac then have to be told by the stewardess to sit the f down.

The plane is still doing 70mph plus, you doughnut. Where is it you think you are going to in such a hurry?

I think pilots should be obliged to slam on the brakes to show these people the error of their ways!

Kuco

I’d like to be the pilot so I could put the seatbelt sign off just before stopping then slam the brakes on so they go tumbling down the aisle 🙂

Dancake
    Free Member

eh?

they are not flying the plane.

martymac

probably in exactly the same way ie with absolutely minimal attention.
    dont sweat it, just keep yourself safe bro.

samuri
    Free Member

Also, people who park their car in the green cycle box.
    Nice bike mate, first time I’ve seen one with four wheels and an engine, OR ARE YOU JUST A CRAP DRIVER!??

muckytee
    Free Member

My handbrake failed earlier and I had to go back and forth a number of times to stop me causing hundreds of pounds worth of damage to the Audi behind me. I tried to control it as well as possible but it was hard with a guy in the rear view mirror looking like he could have.. jumped on my head or something. Angry sod so he was.

I think Bradford must have a serious problem, so many people people with broken handbrakes – I think a government scheme is required 😛

I can understand crap driving, when you cba to do something but this, this requires more effort, people put effort into being crap, be lazy stick the handbrake on and **** the world.

I think it’s just a fear of the handbrake, the whole of Russia has this fear, nobody uses a handbrake there.

chamley
    Free Member

A lot of the minicabs near us like to creep forward at red lights, into the advance stop box, over that then eventually stop across the pedestrian crossing. The light turns to green and they sit for a couple of seconds then trundle off at walking pace. Really weird

GrahamS

A lot of the minicabs near us like to creep forward at red lights, into the advance stop box, over that then eventually stop across the pedestrian crossing.

Then they’ve broken the law. Twice.
    Committing very same offence that they moan about cyclists committing.

MrOvershoot

chamley – Member

A lot of the minicabs near us like to creep forward at red lights, into the advance stop box, over that then eventually stop across the pedestrian crossing. The light turns to green and they sit for a couple of seconds then trundle off at walking pace. Really weird

I think it must be taught at minicab school 😉 they all do the creeping forward thing like they are going to do an F1 style get away and then dawdle off at glacial pace 2 or 3 seconds after the lights change

mav12
    Free Member

Put car in neutral Apply handbrake

shouldnt that be hand brake neutral

MrSalmon
    Free Member

See that a lot here, not taxis as much as normal cars though. The creeping suggests they have to be on the move again as soon as humanly possible, but there’s always a big pause before they set off when the lights actually change, which suggests they’re in no hurry at all. Odd.

GrahamS

Put car in neutral Apply handbrake

I don’t ever bother putting the car in neutral at the lights.
    I just keep the clutch in.

That was acceptable practise when I did my lessons/test a few years ago (but not when I originally did my first lessons a couple of decade ago). Not entirely sure what changed.

cynic-al
    Free Member

that’s as lazy as not using the handbrake 😀

GrahamS

that’s as lazy as not using the handbrake

Probably. But a lot less likely to cause anyone else bother.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

IIRC my instructor told me to use the handbrake/neutral if at the lights for more than a few seconds- idea was if someone nudges you your foot might slip off and then you lurch forward into the car in front.

I daresay all instructors have their own pet bits of dogma and wisdom, but that’s what I do, partly because I also have an idea that it’s not very good for the clutch to hold it in for ages. I don’t know the first thing about cars though so that might be rubbish.

rj2dj
    Free Member

Putting the car in neutral whilst stopped will save wear on the clutch release bearing.

Some drivers try not to stop at traffic lights at all (as in, roll up slowly, but try to never actually stop). The idea is that it would give them more time and space should they need to react to something unexpected.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

The idea is that it would give them more time and space should they need to react to something unexpected.

Yeah, for the same reason I was taught it’s better to approach the lights going down through the gears, rather than coasting in with the clutch in and changing when you’ve stopped.

GrahamS

I was taught it’s better to approach the lights going down through the gears

Likewise when I was taught/tested recently (about five years ago) they didn’t insist on you stepping down through all the gears any more.
    But I think coasting was a fail-able offence.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Creeping forward at traffic lights’ is closed to new replies.