Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 135 total)
  • Creeping Americanisms
  • wanmankylung
    Free Member

When the **** did arse become ass?

That is an Ass. Thank you google Images. 😉

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Adding ism to things. That’s an American(ism)

bearnecessities

Arse is an ass with r’s.

neilthewheel

Initializing (starting)
    Expiration date (expiry date)

Pook

‘Can I get a black coffee?’

NO. THE PERSON YOU’RE TALKING TO WILL GET IT. THAT’S WHAT THEY’RE PAID FOR YOU TOSSPOT.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Black friday

mattsccm
    Free Member

29er?
    We have had 700c for years.
    Fender. 😈 they are things that keep ships from bumping the docks or brass things that keep the ashes in the fireplace.
    Regular is in fries.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Most of the names for bloody expensive coffee.
    I don’t want a sodding Americano, I just want a black coffee.

bloodynora
    Free Member

Mike Gatting England CRICKETING legend this morning said in a radio interview…..he has to ‘step up to the plate’…… 👿

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

Go figure

mamadirt
    Free Member

Yeh but now freakin’cool are those donkeys’ stripey socks? 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

Maybe go to a proper cafe, rather than Starbucks?

jota180
    Free Member

“It’s a big ask”

CountZero

Three hundred years ago Americans were bleating about English idioms creeping into American English.
    I would respectfully suggest you all find something a bit more important to winge about.
    ‘Cos there’s **** all any of you can do about it. And this subject has been done to death on here before, as well.

kayla1
    Free Member

“I could care less.”

I’m so glad, that makes me feel loads better 😀

‘merkins are odd.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I could care less..
    Ahhh Shucks.. beaten to it.

Jamie
    Free Member

Any nation that can give me the word ‘colorway’, is alright in my book.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

That’s an Italian-ism.

It’s called an Americano because over the pond they pretty much only drank filter coffee so when the Army was stationed in Italy during WW2 the closest they could get to it was Espresso with water.

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s called an Americano because over the pond they pretty much only drank filter coffee so when the Army was stationed in Italy during WW2 the closest they could get to it was Espresso with water.

Oi! Don’t you be coming in here with your bloody facts!

Greybeard
    Free Member

If things are stolen from your house, you’ve been burgled. The person who did is a burglar. But in America, you been burglarized. Next thing, the person who did it will have become a burglarizer …

MSP

Language evolves, always has always will, English has been massively influenced by many outside influences pretty much forever.

The French try to be very protective about their language, do you want to be like the French?

kayla1
    Free Member

Non.

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t mind the language picking up new sayings. It adds a certain je ne sais quoi, don’t you think?

Still, if I were writing I’d probably use a nome de plume.

Going to watch a recording of the Grad Prix now, ciao.

richmars

Language evolves, always has always will, English has been massively influenced by many outside influences pretty much forever.

This is very true, but we don’t have to like it.
    My bad.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

merkins are odd.

And yet, they’re strangely liberating to wear.

piemonster

I actually don’t give a **** whether my language gets bastardised by overseas influence or not.

I’d really be quite happy to ditch my native language in an instant if it meant humanity spoke in one language.

wrecker
    Free Member

NO. THE PERSON YOU’RE TALKING TO WILL GET IT. THAT’S WHAT THEY’RE PAID FOR YOU TOSSPOT.

I’m glad that it pisses someone else off as much. It’s “may I have” and ends with “please”. Fcukwits.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I would respectfully suggest you all find something a bit more important to winge about.

Whinge………wh……..wh……..wh 😉

wanmankylung
    Free Member

It’s “may I have” and ends with “please”

I think you’ll find it’s “geez wan oh they…..pal”

Cougar

Ah yes, the last two acceptable targets of the prejudiced; America and fat people. Gods help you if you’re a fat American.

I’m no fan of Americanization of British English, but really, is ass / arse the best you could do?

I could care less..

That’s not an Americanism, it’s a Stupidism.

piemonster

Ah yes, the last two acceptable targets of the prejudiced; America and fat people

Awww for **** sake. When did Gingers go off pitch????

Caher

Manage your boss.
    Ok you’re sacked.

jimjam
    Free Member

I think their silly sayings should be the least of anyone’s worries. The fact that we seem to follow them slavishly in cultural, political and military matters is more worrying.

Obviously, if we are being bombarded by their media it’s inevitable that some of their sayings will creep in. But do we also have to become vacuous, pop-culture and sports obsessed idiots who worship the military, glorify wealth and possessions and deify celebrities?

senorj

“My bad”
    grrr.

bearnecessities

jimjam – Member
    I think their silly saying should be the least of anyone’s worries. The fact that we seem to follow them slavishly in cultural, political and military matters is more worrying.

Pipe down, Sir.

molgrips
    Free Member

Obviously, if we are being bombarded by their media

Surely you mean “choosing to watch their media”? No-one’s forcing you to watch anything are they?

Cougar

“My bad”

Yeah. We should use traditional English sayings instead, like “mia culpa.”

mintimperial

The ass/arse thing really annoys me too. Mostly because arse is such a brilliant word, it’s a shame to see it chased out, like the profanity equivalent of the native red squirrel to the brash, charmless grey US alternative.

Save the Great British Arse!

dudeofdoom

Ah yes, the last two acceptable targets of the prejudiced; America and fat people

Don’t forget Cyclists 🙂

Don’t forget that all the coffees like latte/cappucino are also american (alledgedly).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 135 total)

The topic ‘Creeping Americanisms’ is closed to new replies.