Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 155 total)
  • Creeping Americanisation of the English language on the BBC.
  • RustySpanner

I’ve just heard Robert Peston refer to a group protesting the Chinese visit to Longbridge.

Not protesting against, just protesting.

Earlier this week a Radio 4 announcer stated that the Today programme would be on from ‘6 through 9’.

For God’s sake, can’t we have a little pride in our language?

And the next person I hear using ‘Can I get….?’ will be told to piss off to Power Cable, Nebraska if they really, really want to be American that much.

And yes, I am aware that languages evolve, but it doesn’t mean I have to like it.

I feel better now, thanks.

supertramp
    Free Member

No more Americanisms? OK! 😉

headfirst
    Free Member

Can you unpack that for me?

falkirk-mark

Hell yeah.

molgrips
    Free Member

What about the Anglicisation of the American language? A little more comprehensive I feel 🙂

(as in, the entire country speaks our language almost exactly as we do)

gwj72
    Free Member

I nearly throw my life away for a meaningless brutal assault every time I hear someone say, “can i get a….”. I can’t go into starbucks or costa any more for fear I can’t resist the urge to bludgeon some groli to death with a sturdy mug.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I don’t care – except that anyone found using the term “Colourway” should be forcibly dragged outside and force fed hedgehog suppositories.

[edit] – MBUK magazine, I’m looking specifically at you.

RustySpanner

Yes, I agree, the use of ‘Colourway’ should be punishable by whipping the offender through the streets like a common dog.

Using ‘swap out’ instead of the simpler and perfectly acceptable ‘swap’ should be punishable by death however, even for a first offence.

And I’m sorry, but anyone using ‘Can I get…?’ should be forcibly transported to the despicable country that first coined this abomination.

supertramp
    Free Member

I’m sorry but I think it would give you a warm feeling inside just knowing that you are fluent in Americanese, everyone wants to be bilingual, don’t they?

scaredypants

May be our language originally but the US own us and they can do what they bloody well like

hegemony my arse, it’s a takeover

now, where’s my tinfoil ?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Did anyone see Lewis Hamilton on the piece about NASCAR on F1 qualifying yesterday? It’s hard to imagine the lad is from Stevenage.

john_drummer
    Free Member

you should move to France, they’re really protective about their language

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

They even have their own video format in France.

Awkward buggers. Means they can’t use normal DVDs and that.

john_drummer
    Free Member

probably no great loss 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Don’t worry Spanner, it’s just a short term problem. Creepy Chinese will prove to be a much bigger problem. And kids will laugh at your inability to understand mandarin street slang.

emsz
    Free Member

“Can I get” do people actually say this though? I’ve never heard anyone ever use it

jon1973
    Free Member

why don’t you write them and complain about it? 😉

headfirst
    Free Member

Ernie, you watched firefly?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

No I haven’t headfirst, what’s it about – Chinese hegemony ?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Jeez you guys need to chillax out more..

RustySpanner

emsz – Member

“Can I get” do people actually say this though? I’ve never heard anyone ever use it

Emsz, I hear it in the North West all the time – both of my partner’s otherwise reasonably blameless daughters use it regularly.
    They are lovely individuals, but I’d happily send both of them to the USA, never to return, if they persist with this nonsense.

I’d have to say I hear it used in shops on a regular basis, mostly by young women in their 20’s and early 30’s.

I’m going to have to watch the Olympics with the sound down as well.
    ‘Medal’ is a noun, not a verb, but some smug, self satisfied commentator, confident in their delusions of adequacy will use it incorrectly, causing me to foam at the mouth and shout at the screen.

I may have turned into my dad 😀

mrlebowski – Member

Jeez you guys need to chillax out more..

Writes down name: First against the wall when the revolution comes…..

derek_starship
    Free Member

Ii

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Creeping?

When was the last time you heard ‘controversy’ or ‘privacy’ pronounced correctly on the Beeb?

Wouldn’t be too bad if it were a private company, but as I’m forced by law to contribute to their wages it would be nice if they could do me the courtesy of speaking my language!

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Wouldn’t be too bad if it were a private company, but as I’m forced by law to contribute to their wages

How are you “forced” ? ……. no one “forces” you to own a TV.

You are however forced to contribute to the “wages” of private TV companies – whether or not you own a TV.

Unless of course you are totally self-sufficient and never buy any products or services, which I very much doubt.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Ernie, you watched firefly?

+1

shiny

donsimon
    Free Member

I find it quite strange listening to British presenters reading an American written script on CNN, the accent and vocabulary don’t go together.
    Some of the US spelling I can accept. Why is there a ‘u’ in colour.
    And finally any country that can not use the present perfect, ain’t worth shit!

TheFlyingOx

What’s the beef with “can I get…”?
    I use it, or some variation of it, all the time.

grum
    Free Member

American expressions I can deal with, but lots of teenage girls round here, like, totally speak with a pseudo-Californian accent.

Cougar

totally speak with a pseudo-Californian accent.

Whilst we’re trying to derail this thread in a Whedonesque direction, I blame Buffy for that. It even gave me an Australian-style rising inflection wor a while until I had a word with myself.

trailmonkey

American expressions I can deal with, but lots of teenage girls round here, like, totally speak with a pseudo-Californian accent.

yes, i much prefered it when all the kids were speaking like they were third generation west indians from peckham.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

It seems ‘take’ is out of fashion now:

“I’m going to bring my camera on holiday”

A new one to me yesterday – Calendaring.
    http://lifehacker.com/5815573/five-best-desktop-calendaring-applications

It’s gotten to be not that big of a deal, but I could care less.

retro83
    Free Member

but I could care less.

?_?

gravity-slave
    Free Member

don simon – I agree, I can understand that some spellings like color and center make sense.

A few years ago I was in a car with two Americans, one of whom had not been to the UK before.

She saw a sign for the ‘town centre’ and said “Oh, look, they spell funny!”

The guy broke into a big smile, turned round and said to her “We’re in England. I think you might find that it’s us that spell funny!”

She looked confused.

maccruiskeen

I’m more of a “I can haz…”

portlyone

Whilst we’re trying to derail this thread in a Whedonesque direction, I blame Buffy for that.

WWBS?

ncfenwick
    Free Member

Do you prefer steel or aluminum?

Cougar

I can understand that some spellings like color and center make sense.

I’ll give you center, but TBH neither colour nor color particularly look right. I’m going to start a campaign for “coulor.”

molgrips
    Free Member

Did anyone see Lewis Hamilton on the piece about NASCAR on F1 qualifying yesterday? It’s hard to imagine the lad is from Stevenage

Sometimes when in the US you have to ‘code switch’ – that is, talk more like them so they understand you. It’s just not worth the hassle to deliberately use words you know they don’t know the meaning of.

Re the spelling thing – when the colonies were being set up spelling was all over the shop. The fact that the standards that ended up being nailed down on either side of the Altantic are so similar is actually quite remarkable.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

I’m going to start a campaign for “coulor.”

Nah, it’d have to be “KULLER”

<edit> coulor will just get mixed up with couloir </edit>

goon
    Free Member

It seems ‘take’ is out of fashion now:

“I’m going to bring my camera on holiday”

I’m glad it’s not just me then.

I work with under-graduate students, and ‘can I get…’ is the norm now. It’s not quite as annoying as the increasing amount of people who want to ‘grab’ something we sell.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 155 total)

The topic ‘Creeping Americanisation of the English language on the BBC.’ is closed to new replies.