• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by ajf.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • credit rating
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Wondering if you can have a note added to your file.

Basically I closed a credit card, wrote to them saying I had moved. I then heard nothing more. About twelve months later I discover they hadn’t fully closed account and I owed a couple of pence in interest. They sent letter to new address but statements were going to old address, go figure!!

It is all sorted now, but wondering if this will show on credit history?

El-bent
    Free Member

I do believe you can, I’m sure one of the agencies(Experian for instance) can do this.

A friend of mine was trying to get a mortgage and kept on getting refused, he checked his rating only to find that he owed 53 pence on a loan he had fifteen years previous. The loan company never informed him and he got it sorted out and got his mortgage.

mrmo
    Free Member

thanks i shall do some digging

spacemonkey

Yep. Open a free account with Experian, Equifax or whoever the other one is. Then call them up and put forward your dispute.

Do bear in mind that notes are supposedly overlooked by most searches.

EDIT: have you defaulted as a result of that issue? If so, you could try writing to the CS Manager and asking for it to be removed.

mrmo
    Free Member

all balances are now clear, credit card company have paid me a small amount of compensation. But they are saying they can not amend the credit rating. In total 6-7 months weren’t paid before i realised they hadn’t closed the account fully.

Might be worth getting a copy of my credit rating see what it says and then look to repair any damage that may or may not have occurred.

spacemonkey

All the CRA will do is add a note – usually it has to follow a certain syntax too, which doesn’t really allow you much room for elaboration.

Hence asking your CCC to re-assess, especially if they defaulted you and then paid you compensation for making the mistake. Does depend on who they are though – some are more helpful than others.

garage-dweller

You can have errors etc corrected (we had to on my wife’s as it was showing a financial association to a former partner). Under the DPA98 they have to correct if it’s WRONG.

There’s other things they can do to sort things out to best call or email them to discuss the specific issue. We found Experian very helpful. They then passed on the amended data to the others (Equifax etc) I believe so you may only need to correct one.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You need to start by getting a copy of your credit reports.

You need to get Eperian and Equifax as they do not always record the same information.

Then yes you can ask for the file to be corrected if it is wrong. Can be slow process though.

ajf
    Free Member

Takes financial institutions a long time to pull their finger out to sort credit files but they can do it.

Santander or Abbey as they were known then added a load of connected addresses to my credit file that I have never lived in or near. I had to ask them 4 times to remove them. In the end I lodged a complaint with the FSA and they soon disappeared with a bit of compo for my hassle.

So if they say no we can’t amend it, they are lying coz they can’t be bothered.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘credit rating’ is closed to new replies.