Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Credit hire agreements – experiences/tales of doom?
  • RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

So my car got hit by another and will be off the road for quite a while I expect.

I’m absolutely certain the other guy was in the wrong as I was established on a roundabout and indicating to exit and he just pulled straight out into me.

Anyway, my insurance company have passed my details onto hertz credit hire who want to offer me a hire car and then will “aim” to recover the costs from the opposing insurance company, although ultimately if they refuse to pay the agreement is in my name and I’d be liable for the cost.

Has anyone any experience of these agreements? I need a car and yet have no proof that the other guy was in the wrong. I’m hoping that whoever picks up my car will offer a courtesy car but my insurance company have told me it’s up the company who arranges it all (who aren’t open until tomorrow).

Thoughts? Google gives me tales of DOOOOooooom

Ta

fadda

If the other guy’s insurance doesn’t pay, is the cost then picked up by your insurance company, as part of your claim, or are you directly liable for the cost?

zanelad
    Free Member

I’d be wary. It might be that the other driver thought that you were indicating to turn into the road he was leaving. If the insurevs decide you indicated too early they may hold you liable. Whatever, I expect the daily rate will be very expenaive. Can you not hire a car and claim off the other driver if he’s found to be at fault.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

The cost would be my responsibility if his insurance refuse. Basically it’s entirely separate to my insurance policy.

At the moment I’ve no idea if he’s accepted responsibility as it happened on Friday night and my insurance are only open for new claims over the weekend :-/

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

OK. So the car hire is nothing to do with your insurance policy – your insurer had passed your details to Hertz as part of a commercial arrangement for which your insurer will receive a commission.

If you need a hire car, then shop around and get the best deal, which may or may not be Hertz.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

This has made me a little apprehensive…

Doom linky

ampthill

Do you have uninsured losses cover? They might help recover the cost.

But it sounds like the only benefit of the hertz car is is that it saves organising. Or are they prepared to take legal action on your behalf?

poolman
    Free Member

I would hire a car privately for a few days or a week and then claim the expenses back. That way it’s only say 200 quid, not thousands you my be liable for. Depends if there are witnesses or your word against his.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I’m absolutely certain the other guy was in the wrong as I was established on a roundabout and indicating to exit and he just pulled straight out into me.

Eh?

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

^^ hard to explain but imagine turning right at a roundabout in the right lane, indicating right until you pass the exit before the one you want, indicating left and then finding a car has just shot out from the previous exit point.

It’ll turn all STW if I try to explain further but the guy was keen to ask me not to report it ..

ampthill

but the guy was keen to ask me not to report it ..

Did he admit liability? That would set of alarm bells with me.

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

^ not as such. He was a youngish guy, a bit shaken and he asked me if it was his fault!

Got a photo of his licence – only been driving for a month. Think he thought my car only had a scuff , so did I until I tried to drive it away, realised he’d hit my front wheel , steering flipped, ABS lights, brake light, stability control light and a steering wheel that has to be held at 45 degrees to the left to steer straight

Brollocks 🙁

breadcrumb

Back in 2000 I was given a courtesy car after I was in a non-fault accident.

The other party changed their mind about accepting responsibility and my insurance company informed me my courtesy car would be charged to me if it went in the other parties favour to the tube of £900 for two weeks hire.

It was only a poxy Daewoo Matrix too, I reckon about 8 or 9 weeks hire at those prices would of seen it paid for.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Credit hire agreements – experiences/tales of doom?’ is closed to new replies.