Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Credit card with best rewards?
  • tlr

That’s about it really, I’m after a new credit card so which gives the best rewards/points/cashback?

Balance is always paid off so not bothered about interest rate, spend quite a bit each year, do might as well get something back for it.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks

damitamit
    Free Member

If you’re a Costco member, the Amex True Earnings card is quite good.

organic355
    Free Member

Tescos

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

I use the Tesco one, although the deal has been eroded somewhat over the years I put all my fuel and travel expenses on it and get around £50 back per year.

kcal

barclaycard cashback here.
    Round about 0.5 – 1.0%, last year a bit over £100 refunded.

trail_rat
    Free Member

aye the amex card is great – at being refused.

remember two of my mates got them last year and both bragged about how much they would earn off each transaction.

both got rubbered at every place we went.

they canceled them after a while.

tescos is pretty hard to beat. get a fair heap of clubcard points. the double on fuel would be great – if their fuel wasnt pisspoor and gives my van crap MPG compared to shell.

Ben_mw

BA Amex and Amex Gold both have decent sign up bonuses and (the not available to new customers) BMI Amex/Visa pair are what I’m using – but I’m chasing Avios exclusively (the BA and Iberia loyalty scheme). It depends on what you want back, cash, airline miles etc, how much you’ll be putting on the card, and whether you’re prepared to pay an annual fee. (The BA Amex gives you a rather useful 241 voucher on an annual spend of 10K and an annual fee of £150).
    If you’re already a member of certain loyalty schemes, it’s possibly worth looking at cards tied into them as a means of boosting your balance, such as the Nectar Amex card, IHG rewards Visa, Hilton Hhonours Visa, Tesco as mentioned above etc.
    For way too much info, mainly biased towards airline miles and hotel points, have a look at Headforpoints
    EDIT – Headforpoints is nothing to do with me! (Though I’m happy to refer for BA Amex and Amex Gold – though Quidco is normally available for these).

jfletch
    Free Member

If you do a lot of driving then the Santander 123 card is a good deal. 3% on fuel.

zilog6128

Have a look at Martin Lewis’ site http://www.moneysavingexpert.com

He normally has an up-to-date roundup of all the card offers

Rubber_Buccaneer

As above take a look at moneysavingexpert.

I have more than one card as I am a right miser 😀 A Halifax Clarity that pays me £5 every month I spend £300 on it then a Barclaycard for cashback on spending over £300 per month. Halifax Clarity is worth having as I have found nothing even close for overseas transactions (holiday or mail order) and it is even the cheapest way I have found to get foreign currency for holidays.

mlpinto
    Free Member

+1 for what Ben_mw says above.

The Amex gold gives a good sign up bonus (20K points I think), is free for the first year and gives double points on supermarket and travel spend in the first year. This doubles up at supermarket fuel stations so an £80 tank of fuel earns 240 Amex MR points = 240 airline miles or lots of other reward options.

Amex is accepted at all major supermarkets, train companies and department stores – over 90% of my spending goes on one…

I don’t work for Amex 🙂

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

We’ve got a John Lewis card. We put about £2k per month through it and get about £60 a month in JL vouchers.

pjm84
    Free Member

We’ve got a John Lewis card. We put about £2k per month through it and get about £60 a month in JL vouchers.

plus 1

Spent 43k last year on my credit card so plenty of JL vouchers. Damn those annual statements

pdw
    Free Member

Amex Platinum cashback. 5% for the first few months, then 1.25% after that.

Not accepted everywhere, but between supermarkets, petrol stations and paypal you can get the vast majority of stuff on it.

footflaps

John Lewis here, 2% in JL/Waitrose and 1% everywhere else.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Some places will knock a couple of percent off if you’re not using a credit card – a far better deal.

tlr

Cheers all.

John Lewis one sounds good, we don’t use Tesco, and Amex just sounds like hard work if it gets refused a lot .

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

footflaps – Member
    John Lewis here, 2% in JL/Waitrose and 1% everywhere else.

I believe it is 1% in JL/Waitrose and 0.5% elsewhere.

Vouchers every quarter.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sorry just re-read, should have been £60 per quarter.

footflaps

I believe it is 1% in JL/Waitrose and 0.5% elsewhere.

That might explain why I never seem to get the number of vouchers I’m expecting!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Credit card with best rewards?’ is closed to new replies.