Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Credit card touring – any advice?
  • muddydwarf
    Free Member

Well, not really ‘touring’ as such as its only two days but any tips on what to take/not to take?

Aiming to travel as light as possible so i have a bar bag that will hold a pair of lightweight shorts/base layer for evening plus a clean pair of bibshorts & flipflops.

Stoner
    Free Member

Why bibs?
    Id have a pair of off-bike pants, a pair of on bike knickers and wear baggy overshorts all day.

Flip flops is good.

Are you travelling alone? Do you need to carry a toolkit/inner/patches/pump on your own or can you share?

A merino T shirt (long sleeve perhaps) good for evenings.

scotroutes

I’d not even bother with the bibshorts. You could quickly wash them out in a sink, them wring them in a towel to remove most of the moisture. Hang them up somewhere with a bit of air and they should be fine by morning.

Sunscreen, camera, phone, wallet.
    Snacks and a couple of gels.
    A warm jacket (Primaloft type) depending on weather.

I quite like to go for a wee after:dinner walk to stretch the legs a bit after a long day pedalling.

scaredypants

don’t forget your PIN ?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

spare bibs because they will be covered in chammy cream & i was concerned that i wouldn’t be able to clean them properly.
    Will have 2 spare tubes/inflator+refills/tyre levers/patches/chain tool/multitool in saddle bag on bike plus pump on frame.

Don’t like riding my road bike in baggies as they rub so its bibs for comfort.
    Just wondering what i’d forgotten.

I’ll have baselayer, jersey, arm & leg warmers & a windproof/lightwaterproof jacket as well – oh and spare socks!

IanW
    Free Member

You don’t need spare Bibshorts, bibs go for ages without washing just air them. I recently used an 8ltr drypack with shorts, t shirt crocs, paramo gilet ( it was cold on an evening) toothpaste and brush, bum cream, very minimal tools. It all came in under a kilo(probably less than a bar bag on its own) and a few bits of powdered recovery food. Oh and a credit/debit card!

(edit: plus normal bibs/jersey etc cycling wear. )

muddydwarf
    Free Member

I’m only using the barbag as thats what i already have & i don’t want to buy anything else. Not out to break any records, we rode 100 miles around the Dales on sunday in 6.5hrs but i’m not expecting that sort of pace this weekend.
    Am i right to think the B&B will provide shower gels & stuff?
    Small container with enough chammy cream for the 2nd day should do it, i have a tiny tube of toothpaste (freebie from dentist).

jameso

Easy, take day ride kit, add credit card, overnight kit and something to wear in the evening. I took a book on CC tours. I wouldn’t bother with spare bibs for 2-3 days, I’m almost embarrassed to say how long I’ve ridden for in 1 pr of shorts and nothing has grown out of that area yet (shorts or body).

Am i right to think the B&B will provide shower gels & stuff?

Yup. Toothbrush and paste is all you need.

ransos
    Free Member

For B&B touring, I always wash out my cycling kit in the shower and hang it up to dry ready for the next morning.

midlifecrashes

YHA you need to take your own towel and soap/gel.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Staying in the Four Alls at Ovington – pub with its own microbrewery, specifically chosen so we didn’t have to walk around in flipflops to get a beer.. 😆

IanW
    Free Member

You can hire towels for a couple of quid at a YHA or there free(or cheaper at least) if your a member. You will need your own soap though. I prefer old style soap as opposed to gels avoids the need to carry a bottle and unnecessary liquid.

For me its not about speed but enjoying the riding, hence the minimal approach. This chap has some good ideas… ULtra light cycling .

eightyeight
    Free Member

That ultra light cycling blog is the nuts.

I cycled through France last year and some of his nuggets of advice were invaluable.

antigee

muddydwarf – Member
    Staying in the Four Alls at Ovington

looks to me like your planning is fundamentally sound

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Its gonna be a soggy one 🙁

Looks like i’ll have to fit raceblades to the road bike, was hoping to avoid that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Credit card touring – any advice?’ is closed to new replies.