Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Credit card for people who don't like credit cards?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Got plenty of disposable income, plenty of savings, no need to borrow money etc etc etc

But a credit card gives more protection against fraud and in a few year's I'll need a mortgage etc so having some credit history/rateing can't be a bad thing.

So, which credit card is worth having, it can have a gazzillion percent interest as long as there's some kind of cashback, airmiles, tesco points, or something else usefull in it for me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

tick – interested , interestingly i got refused for a tesco card – thought since our local shop(by some distance) is tesco id just go for the double club card points option…..

wanted to replace my Bank of scotland one i got for traveling emergancies that has high interest and no perks !

uplink
    Free Member

Egg money?

It's a debit card when you're in credit & a credit card when you're not

ooOOoo
    Free Member

o2 cash manager?
    Doesn't even need a credit check apparently

tonyg2003

Tesco's for points (do this for my business travel).

American Express for cash-back.

Remember just buy parts of large items with your cc and the full amount is guaranteed by the cc compny. They hate this and never tell you!

Tony

jonb
    Free Member

Look for one that gives you something back. We use a flybe one as it pays for my GF to go to Jersey to see her brother a couple of times a year.

Easyjet have something similar. The supermarket reward schemes also offer credit cards, I know we looked at the Nectar one but it was AMEX so we didn't bother. Some give cash back but the rates are low.

Ignore the interest rate, set up a 100% direct debit every month (you'll have to ask specifically for this as it is usually not an option). Make sure you can bank online so ou can sort it easily.

We buy everything through the credit card, get two return flights to Jersey each year (roughly).

Bikingcatastrophe
    Free Member

Depends on how you plan to use it. Goldfish (now owned by Barclaycard) is ok and will give you points on purchases which can be exchanged (eventually) for vouchers that you can spend in places like Currys and JLP. The return isn't brilliant but is better than a lot. The BA airmiles card used to be reasonable but only if you like flying BA and are likely to use the miles. I believe that the best return is generally on the cashback cards and, if you get the right one, Amex is one of the best – certainly for the first year – 18 months. Downside is that not all places that take credit cards will take Amex (mostly down to their terms and conditions for retailers and the fact that they charge them more per transaction than the other card companies) Widespread view is that the store tied cards such as Tesco / Sainsbury's are pretty poor as the clubcard / nectar points are not very generous.

Might be worth a quick check of the moneysavingexpert web site as a starter for 10.

Rich
    Free Member

I now use a Barclaycard Cashback card for all my spending, as it pays me back 1% of everything I spend (2% for first 3 months), and no interest if paid off in full every month.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i read that before i applied , my take on it was that if not going amex or one of the yearly charge cards then it was best to go tesco club card points – if you shopped/bought fuel there as if you use the CC in tesco you get your earned points twice and also points for other purchases – but looking else where now !

phinbob

We do OK out of Tesco points on my credit card that I use for work – not massive spending on it (less than £8k a year I think) but if you use the points for the deals type of stuff (travel, magazine subscriptions, meals out etc.) you get 4 X the value so it works out quite well.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

We have a Capital One one (3% cashback in first month, 1% after).

And a flexible mortgage too so we overpay into the mortgage account, use the credit card all month then pay it back in full with the money we overpaid. And get a nice bonus just after Christmas each year to boot.

It might save me a year of repayments at the end of the mortgage if I am lucky.

retro83
    Free Member

Use the recommendation thingy on moneysavingexpert. I went with sainsbury's in the end as i wanted the 0 rate

MrGreedy

retro83 beat me to it, Moneysavingexpert.com is the place to go for this kind of thing. Amex is what I use for cashback, just worth bearing in mind that it's not accepted everywhere so a backup Visa is a good idea. Pay it off in full every month and you'll be quids in 😀

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

this is the only reason to have a credit card
    a credit card gives more protection against fraud and in a few year's I'll need a mortgage etc so having some credit history/rateing can't be a bad thing.

i feel your pain brother.

i have never had a loan or credit card in my life, left uni got a job earned money, saved said money then bought the things i needed. 4 or five yrs later i decided to get a mobile phone contract. jesus christ anyone would of thought i was a wanted terrorist, not one of the main phone company s would touch me.apparently because i had never had credit or a loan in my life,that was enough to put me as high risk.
    made an appointment to visit the bank,and was basically told the same by the bank that in this day and age you will at some-point of needed to have had credit,so got a cc of the bank bought some forks for my bike and some brakes.paid the total of the purchase in full within 28days.went to the phone shop and hay presto one mobile phone contract done and dusted in five minutes.
    strange but thats just how things work now a-days if finance/houses/company s cant do some sort of background check on you,then it seems easier for them to just say no or make you pay a higher rate for just not having any credit to start with….
    oh and answer to your question sainsburys cc isn't to bad if you shop there. and tsb bank do a cc with air miles both under 16%
    mb

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

have a look on moneysavingexpert.com credit cards are one of their Big Things and there's usually a lot of info, including any current deals

br
    Free Member

Barclaycard are re-introducing a 'points' system, where you can spend the points with certain retailers – or so the guff through my door this morning says.

Also the Tesco's points are quite useful, and can be quadrupled at PizzaExpress.

simon_g

One that gives you cashback – Egg Money in my case. Gives you insurance on things (like missed event cover – if you book tickets for something then can't go), and if you stick all your spending on it then it's an easy £200 a year in cashback.

nicko74

Egg Money gives you 1% cashback on everything; they're also pretty sharp on fraudulent use of the card
    Amex also has a cashback card that offers 5% for the first 3 months, then a tiered rate of cashback subsequently.
    Avoid anything with an annual fee (what's the point, if you're trying to earn money back from them?).
    er… yes!

zaskar
    Free Member

Visa debit card like natwest or nationwide?

I don't know if give free insurance but try a cashback as you spend card.

fubar
    Free Member

Nationwide cc gives an extra 12 months warranty on electrical goods bought with it…I have claimed on it and they send an engineer round to fix a dvd player

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Credit card for people who don't like credit cards?’ is closed to new replies.