Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Credit card clone/scam or wife lying ;)
  • monkey_boy
    Free Member

What do the masses think of this one… (sorry bit long winded)

Had a parcel delivered to the house, a £45 bit of jewellery.

Invoice with it has wifes name, our full address the company seems legit WATCHSHOP

Wifes swear she has not ordered it, knows nothing about it.

It was bought on Monday, we have checked both our main accounts and no money has gone out to this company. Wife has checked her main emails and nothing from this company, confirming order shipment etc.

She calls up and talks to a a helpful guy, he says it was bought by my wife (or someone with her exact name) and the address is exactly the same as ours.

He gave us the last 4 digits of the card it was bought with and it does not match any of our cards.

The only wierd thing he told us was the email address that was used for the purchase was wifesname@IZZY.NET

I’ve checked on the web the name IZZY.NET seems to originate in Michigan in the states…

The only posisble explanatiion we can think of is a past credit card has been cloned? But this seems bollox as it would be sent to our address, the bloke also confirmed as with most purchases the inoivce address has to be the same as the delivery!

What you reckon?

Cougar

Tenuous but the only thing I can think of: Are you both out at work during the day?

I’m wondering if it was a purchase made using a stolen / cloned card, with your house as the delivery address. You’re out at work, the thief waits around for the delivery to turn up then intercepts the driver pretending to live at your address.

Seems to be a lot of trouble for a £45 bauble though, rather than an iPad or something.

About the only other thing that makes sense is she’s got an ‘admirer’ in the US. Is she on the Internet a lot? (-: I’m not convinced that’s the case either though, given the odd email address.

alfabus
    Free Member

sounds like a card tester… they’ve ordered their ‘first purchase’ to be delivered to the cardholders address – after that they hope to be free to order whatever they want to be delivered to a different address.

I expect they hoped you’d think ‘oh goody, some free jewellery’ and not chase it up.

possible that someone has taken out a credit card in your name (identity theft) rather than cloning a card that you had taken out. Did the company tell you who the card company were?

Dave

bikebouy
    Free Member

You sure it wasn’t a secret prezzie for you and your wifes now been outed??

KillJoy.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Very strange… I’d give the wife a Guantana style interview 😉

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

I once had some mobile phones sent to me at home that “I” paid for with my credit card – which I defo did not order. Credit card company got onto it and sorted no problems. The card details were stolen online.

It seems to be the fraudsters try out the card with test transactions at specific retailers.

monkey_boy
    Free Member

cheers all, very strange. the guy said it was a mastercard, doesn’t narrow it down at all, he gave us the “can’t tell u much as you could be anyone” bolox. wife emailed them asking for more info.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

If you dont recognise the card number – then that is even stranger. Are you sure you dont have an old card that you never use?

Even if you dont use it the details can be nicked from a bank’s call centres etc.

alfabus
    Free Member

get on to mastercard, find out the details of the card and point out to them that you did not ask for or receive the card, but it appears to be registered to you.

get it cancelled before you start getting bailiffs knocking on the door and being refused mortgages.

Dave

5lab

as above, could easily be a card thats registered in your name, with your details, but not by you. First purchase is something delivered home, who knows what they’re currently having delivered to ‘your work’ address?

portlyone

Does your wife have a wishlist on Amazon or similar?

monkey_boy
    Free Member

yeah the wifes going to get hold of mastercard later get it cancelled. bloody mental, sign of the times I guess

allmountainventure
    Free Member

As above.

Sounds like a test for an identity fraud; card applied for in your wife’s name. Future transactions sent to a different address now that the jewellery company has “verified” you. Your wife cops the black mark when the credit card is not paid.

Report it.

br
    Free Member

had the same with an i-phone and blackberry from vodafone.

Vodafone were that bothered that they never even collected the phones, despite 2 further calls – and it was only after a lot of pressure that they confirmed that they weren’t paid for on any of our cards.

wwaswas

I had an iPhone delivered.

They wouldn;t take it back as I couldn;t give them the password for the account they bought it from.

I went to one of their stores on a busy Saturday in the end and told them I wasn’t leaving until they a) accepted the phone and b) gave me a receipt for it – still took nearly an hour with the store staff ont he phone to the call centre to get them to do it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Credit card clone/scam or wife lying ;)’ is closed to new replies.