Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Credit card and eBay charges banned
  • newrobdob
    Free Member

Just read this and welcome the ban on charging extra to pay by card. Of course retailers hit by this will up prices so they can afford to pay the card companies who levy a charge on each transaction.

However I’m more interested in the Paypal side. Does this mean that if an item costs £10 and the seller accepts PayPal they are not allowed to charge more than £10? Does it mean that selling stuff on eBay privately will not attract PayPal goods costs? Dunno!

nwmlarge
    Free Member

where did the info come from?

Not to be horrible but your post is somewhat lacking in the detail side of things

convert

where did the info come from?

You would have to be a hermit with zero interest in current affairs not to be aware of this already. It’s been splashed across all news sources all day. Link

binners

Don’t worry. Its EU legislation. The charges will be back before you know it. Along with Mobile Roaming charges and all sorts of other joyous things

Taking back control is great, isn’t it?

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Sounds like a good idea, in practice what does this mean for the fee’s incurred through merchant services for the retailer?

wwaswas

re: ebay/paypal – they’ll just reframe it as a service change…

newrobdob
    Free Member

Give it a rest binners. It’s just boring now hearing that stupid comment every time.

binners

Stupid comment? I’d put my ****ing house on it!

zippykona

Good. It was completely taking the piss.
    Virgin wanted to charge us when we bought our virgin holiday with a virgin credit card.
    Double piss taking.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Just need to blame Trump & the Torys & we will have a full house of whingers bingo.

convert

I’d put my ****ing house on it!

It would be very interesting to see if the UK government would have got around to doing this without the EU directive. They had years to get around to it independently and didn’t bother until the the directive made it happen. I guess we don’t have long to see!

BigJohn

I was quite happy to pay the extra as the credit card company takes responsibility if something goes wrong – eg, holiday company goes bust.

It’s like an insurance premium.

And I agree with Binners.

Drac

Excellent. I paid for a holiday last week and avoid the credit card charge paid on my credit card through pay pal.

You would have to be a hermit with zero interest in current affairs not to be aware of this already. It’s been splashed across all news sources all day. Link

First I’ve heard of it.

zippykona

If they do scrap it you can’t blame the tories as “the hard working British tax payer” will have voted for it along with all the other shit about to be landed upon us.

newrobdob
    Free Member

Give it a rest with the Brexit broken record please. I might agree with you but in this case I’m trying to figure out how it will affect PayPal transactions.

wwaswas

how it will affect PayPal transactions

But Brexit will affect it, either now or in 18 months time.

convert

But brexit was just about getting rid of the dirty foreigners silly. It’s not going to have any other effects.

newrobdob
    Free Member

I give up. You can’t have a conversation on here about anything without the whole thread being polluted with Brexit talk. There has been a ruling which will come into force in the Uk and I’m trying to figure out how it will work in practice. Please can we discuss that. Yes I know when laws change around brexit it might change. Or it might not. I’m not stupid.

wwaswas

I’m not stupid.

and yet here you are on the day the EU announces a ruling, askign on a cycle forum about EU legislation changes that will make hundreds of millions of Euro’s difference to thousands of businesses and financial institutions bottom lines and for which very few have made any firm plans let alone announced what they are 😉

convert

Did someone not get any sleep last night?

njee20
    Free Member

I was quite happy to pay the extra as the credit card company takes responsibility if something goes wrong – eg, holiday company goes bust.

Well yes, but that’s about using credit cards, you don’t lose protection because you’re not paying!

The way I read it you’ll no longer be able to have “50p on card transactions under £5” in your local corner shop, card dealers won’t be able to say 3% extra for buying on a credit card, and retailers won’t be able to inflate prices if you pay with PayPal (which admittedly is less common).

Can’t see this effecting eBay/PayPal private transactions though.

geoffj

I give up. You can’t have a conversation on here about anything without the whole thread being polluted with Brexit talk. There has been a ruling which will come into force in the Uk and I’m trying to figure out how it will work in practice. Please can we discuss that. Yes I know when laws change around brexit it might change. Or it might not. I’m not stupid.

Businesses / Government departments will have to have a single price.
    They then decide which payment methods they will accept.
    The price you pay is the price you see.

On a practical note, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the removal of the ability to pay your car tax by credit card etc.

DezB
    Free Member

Ranting at people for being humourous on STW! That’s a new one 😆

So Paypal – I can’t think of any transaction I’ve made online where there was a surcharge for using Paypal. Can anyone? This isn’t Paypal fees, this is a surcharge by the vendor.

newrobdob
    Free Member

njee20 – that’s what I thought too to be honest. I suppose PayPal will say that PayPal Goods service charges will be under the same banner as the retailer paying the card handler the 0.5% fee (much higher for smaller shops). But I was thinking that it also might apply to private sales where you are forced to lose the goods fee when accepting payment although it isn’t a business transaction (and not subject to the same control and other charges).

zilog6128

I paid for a holiday last week and avoid the credit card charge paid on my credit card through pay pal.

be aware that you lose the Section 75 protection from your CC if you do this (not really a problem with holidays though, as long as they’re covered by ABTA)

binners

Are there any other subjects that you’d like to ask about, to which we can only answer with stuff you’d like to hear? Or is it limited to banking charges?

newrobdob
    Free Member

I am glad to see the fee go for larger companies anyway as the surcharges they levy are always way higher than the actual cost of processing the transaction – just profiteering.

bikebouy
    Free Member

geoffj – Member
    The price you pay is the price you see.
    POSTED 1 MINUTE AGO # REPORT-POST

It’s very much this. I think you are over thinking the issue.

And it was brought in by the EU, quite rightly, they’ve been clamping down on charges (hidden or otherwise) on products or services that the consumer either never recognises or sees or gets charged post sale.

Brexit or not, that isn’t the real point.

It’s a simple disclosure point for the consumer, and I support it.

mattsccm
    Free Member

And the benefit is? If no one is charging any fees then in theory prices should drop but they won’t as the percentage is, in most, cases not a lot.
    Some how it always seemed fair to me. If you want the convenience and protection of a CC over , say, cash, then pay for it if it causes the seller any loss or hassle. you are paying a small insurance fee really. You don’t have to buy in a certain place, go to somewhere that absorbs the costs.

Newrobdog is right you know. It’s a simple issue that doesn’t need confusing by random guess work tainted with political view points. No one does know, they are guessing. It would be nice if the Op’s of posts were considered not ignored.

wwaswas

mattsccm – given *everyone* on the thread is guessing then sticking to the OP’s direction is pretty meaningless anyway, isn’t it?

binners

zippykona

We’ve just had a 3.85p per transaction anti fraud charge foist upon us for contactless under £15.
    Then there is a percentage fee on top of that.
    It still doesn’t guarantee that the credit card people will pay us that money.
    Apparently that charge was forced upon World Pay by EU. Does anyone know if that is true as the other company we are talking to don’t know anything about it. One of them is lying.

njee20
    Free Member

So Paypal – I can’t think of any transaction I’ve made online where there was a surcharge for using Paypal. Can anyone? This isn’t Paypal fees, this is a surcharge by the vendor.

Yes, I’ve seen it. Typically small retailers who either want you to phone through card details or charge you x% extra for PayPal – basically a convenience tax. The online is a moot point in that though, this is for any retailer.

Freeborn used to have a number of prices on all their bikes too – cash, debit/credit card or finance. Struck me as pretty dodgy at the time anyway, but that won’t be allowed as I understand it.

Of course whether every corner shop actually complies is something else entirely!

Drac

be aware that you lose the Section 75 protection from your CC if you do this (not really a problem with holidays though, as long as they’re covered by ABTA)

Not necessarily.

lucky7500

Does anyone know if that is true as the other company we are talking to don’t know anything about it. One of them is lying.

We use Izettle and I certainly haven’t heard anything about that. We changed from World Pay partly because they did seem to like adding opaque, difficult to rectify charges to the account.

In general I suspect that a lot of small businesses will just have to suck up the extra charge or stop accepting card payments. Big business, particularly the airlines that this legislation was brought in to combat, will most likely add a small amount to prices somewhere else to cover the difference.
    With regards to the EU issue, the UK legislation goes further than the EU legislation so I wouldn’t expect it to be disappearing any time soon.

surfer
    Free Member

INRAT but there seems confusion as to what these charges are.

CC providers charge a fee for each transaction to the vendor for the service they provide. Vendor instead of absorbing the charge into their costs gives customers the option of a lower costs by paying using a different method. In future it will be outlawed to charge for this meaning companies will simply increase their cost by that amount.

Simples. Its not the CC companies doing anything wrong they have to charge for the service they provide.

convert

I’m not sure anyone ever though the CC companies were doing anything wrong. It’s nothing to do with the CC companies. It’s just about adding transparency to the retail cost to the consumer- the cost displayed is the cost you pay.

I can’t recall if this still happens but do some retailers still have that minimum spend to use a card thing? If so I guess it won’t be effected by this. Also, to correct an inaccuracy by the OP in a subsequent post, according to the bloke from Which on radio 4 this morning a change in the law a few years ago already banned the passing on to customers more than the cost of the service from the CC company. So in theory(provided they are acting legally) all CC supplements currently charged reflect the actual cost of using them to the retailer. That was also due to an EU directive bless ’em 😉

zippykona

We have a minimum spend of £5.
    3.85 p plus either .3 % or .65% on top of that. Business credit cards can be 1.7% .I think there’s one that 2.3% then some foreign cards have an extra charge on top of that.
    If the machine we rent off them breaks and we have to go back to the clonk clonk machine that costs an extra £1 per transaction.
    We threw ours away when we discovered that.

sbob
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member

Citation please. 🙂

STATO
    Free Member

newrobdob – Member
    njee20 – that’s what I thought too to be honest. I suppose PayPal will say that PayPal Goods service charges will be under the same banner as the retailer paying the card handler the 0.5% fee (much higher for smaller shops). But I was thinking that it also might apply to private sales where you are forced to lose the goods fee when accepting payment although it isn’t a business transaction (and not subject to the same control and other charges).

You mean your worried if you want to accept paypal as payment for second hand bike bits you wont now be able to ask the buyer to cover the fees? I think it would be pretty hard to drag a personal agreement through the courts as subject to this new ruling so id not really worry.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Credit card and eBay charges banned’ is closed to new replies.