• This topic has 948 replies, 113 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by igrf.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 949 total)
  • Creationist religious nutjob on R4 "One to One 9.30am"
  • somafunk

Should be good in a “shake head at radio in disbelief” type scenario, why aren’t people with such beliefs sectioned under the mental health act?, or perhaps give them a children’s pop-up book on dinosaurs?, and don’t get me started on the Creationist teaching in certain American states, nutjobs….they’re out there folks, stay safe!.

KennySenior
    Free Member

why aren’t people with such beliefs sectioned under the mental health act?

Because sectioning people who have a different view of life to you is about as retarded as imprisoning people who have a different sexual orientation to you.

Dobbo

I’m 100% with somafunk.

Kenny, I agree, Saville should have been locked up years ago.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I could not be in more violent disagreement with creationists if I tried, but I wholeheartedly agree with Kenny Senior.

Somafunk you’re bordering on being offensive with your comments.

miketually
    Free Member

give them a children’s pop-up book on dinosaurs?

The fossils were made in sediment from Noah’s flood, which wiped out the dinosaurs. Even Noah couldn’t get two of every dinosaur onto a boat.

wwaswas

Creationist teaching in certain American states

A number of proposed Free Schools in the UK have also proposed this. Most subsequently removed it from publicity material when it was pointed out it was illegal but I suspect they’ll actually do it anyway.

I have no problem with different points of view.

What really boils my wee is State funded religious schools. Why should I pay to indoctrinate other peoples children into a belief system?

geetee1972
    Free Member

I predict this thread will descend into utter hypocrisy very soon.

geetee1972
    Free Member

What really boils my wee is State funded religious schools. Why should I pay to indoctrinate other peoples children into a belief system?

I agree with this. The worse part though is not that your funding the teaching of a religious belief, after all faith schools do perform significantly better than non-faith schools so there is a benefit to society.

No the more pernicious part is that in order to get the best education without having to pay for it, at least one parent has to subscribe to the school’s associated church.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Pulling up a chair.

yunki
    Free Member

Sapiens Creationi

richmtb

Creationist Dinosaurs

Its all covered here.

T-Rex was a vegan and use to go on long walks with Adam

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Why on earth do the disciples of received opinion get so irate about what these things?

geetee1972
    Free Member

Pulling up a chair.

Don’t get comfortable. Basically more or less everyone agrees with the sentiment expressed by the OP, just not how it’s been put.

I shared a house at Uni with a creationist. She was a very bright girl. Her belief in the story of Genesis was absolute and literal. I was the first time that I’d come across someone who thought like this and it was quite a surprise.

wwaswas

I was the first time that I’d come across someone who thought like this and it was quite a surprise.

I always find it really hard to deal with. You can’t have a discussion without appearing to be trying to undermine their whole religious belief.

My mum is a minister and believes in the literal truth of the Bible.

We don’t discuss religion much – there’s no common ground and I think we both accept no one’s going to change their opinion.

joao3v16
    Free Member

… but you’re happy to pay to indoctrinate them with your “belief system” that they shouldn’t have a religious belief?

Excellent logic. (well, this is STW I suppose).

😀

I and my wife are Christians. It doesn’t boil our wee that we’re paying for state schools to indoctrinate other peoples children into a non-religious belief system.

😀

Ultimately, having a religious belief is called “making a personal choice”.

In the UK at least, beliefs are still taught as options/choices, not enforced.

zippykona

It still beggars belief that most of our society is centred around teachings which have been proven wrong.
    I wish that all the religions would say fair enough its all bollocks. We shall call our selves Nice Club from now on. They can still sing happy songs and help people.Obviously they will skip the hating certain people bits.
    I’m all for sun worshipping. Its definitely there and it gives life to our planet.
    Thank you Sun.

wwaswas

.. but you’re happy to pay to indoctrinate them with your “belief system” that they shoudln’t have a religious belief?

errm, how does that work?

Non religious state schools don’t have lessons on “how to be a good atheist” do they?

In the UK at least, beliefs are still taught as options/choices, not enforced.

If you go to a state funded school that is run by a particular religious group you have to attend a daily act of worship and listen to all of the specific religious views that the school teaches. There is no option or choice for the child.

anyway, as I said above, there’s no common ground so it’s largely a pointless discussion. Which is very stw. So I’m out.

richmtb

I and my wife are Christians. It doesn’t boil our wee that we’re paying for state schools to indoctrinate other peoples children into a non-religious belief system.

Presume from the smiley face that you aren’t really serious, but exactly what is wrong with the state just educating people in you know science and stuff and leaving religion to take place privately?

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Its not a “different view of life “, its provably false.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I’m not sure how many times it needs to be explained to joao3v16 and, presumably, his wife, that evidence-based science is not a “belief system”.

Sits back.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

From a personal perspective I think that state funded schools should be secular.
    Religion is personal choice and religious teaching should funded and delivered outside the scope of the learning environment.

tyger
    Free Member

Evolution is just a theory – one that is full of holes too

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oh good, this again.

😐

miketually
    Free Member

If you go to a state funded school that is run by a particular religious group you have to attend a daily act of worship and listen to all of the specific religious views that the school teaches. There is no option or choice for the child.

All state schools, even ones not run by a faith group, have to have a daily act of collective worship which is broadly Christian in nature. All schools are required by law to indoctrinate our children into the (Anglican) Christian faith, though thankfully most schools ignore, or just pay lip service to, this requirement.

miketually
    Free Member

So’s gravity. Do you ever feel like just floating off?

wwaswas

Good point Mike.

I’m pleased to say that all of the schools my children have attended have cheerfully ignored this aspect of the law 🙂

wwaswas

and if someone comes up with a better – scientifically based – theory then all the agnostics/atheists will cheerfully accept it.

Anyone with a religious belief will have to stick with what some bloke 3000 years ago thought God had told him to say, regardless of the facts.

I said I was out, didn’t I. Damn.

infradig
    Free Member

re: mr woppit, your belief system whatever it may be, cannot help but colour how you view everything including scientific evidence. you can’t get away from your presuppositions.

geetee1972
    Free Member

So’s gravity. Do you ever feel like just floating off?

Aw come on; the evidence for gravity is a lot stronger than for evolution even if evolution is almost certainly true.

As for secular schooling, well all I can say is that those damn Americans have precisely the right idea (as do the French).

It is illegal there to have any kind of worship in schools.

D0NK

You can’t have a discussion without appearing to be trying to undermine their whole religious belief.

There’s a JW girl at work, during tea breaks everyone kinda stays away from religion but when it does come up it’s kinda tricky, I won’t let stuff slide but it does feel a little cruel. She’s still young and hasn’t heard much criticism of her religion yet, so has difficulty arguing her point. Give it a few years and I’m sure she’ll have some better* arguments.

*but still ultimately flawed

flippinheckler
    Free Member

even if evolution is almost certainly true.

Some doubt creeping in there! 😆

mrmo
    Free Member

It still beggars belief that most of our society is centred around teachings which have been proven wrong.

thing is many of the teachings do make sense, ten commandments as a general guide work.

Many of them also don’t anymore, the bible is a book writen over thousands of years and reflects the world of its writers. It does contain a large amount of middle eastern history just hidden amongst a load of crap.

as for this being a christian country? why do we allow usury????

As for teaching it, no issue, just teach it as a historical source, teach it alongside norse/greek/roman mythology, budhism, islam, etc etc.

What also should be taught is that the bible, koran, etc are responsible for some of the stupidity around, they are books, but they have been edited and twisted by some for their own ends.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Some doubt creeping in there!

I like Karl Popper’s philosophical definition of science.

A scientific ‘fact’ is only a fact in the absence of falsifying evidence. Nothing that is scientific can be conclusively proven to be true; it can only be conclusively proven not to be false at any given moment.

This means that all scientists should be prepared to accept their theory as being potentially wrong, which is the key difference between science and religion, at least as far as I can tell.

richmtb

Aw come on; the evidence for gravity is a lot stronger than for evolution even if evolution is almost certainly true.

Actually there is a big slice of physics that simply has to ignore gravity to make the equations work

There is not a similar conflict in biology or other natural sciences over the role of evolution.

So on that basis evolution is a more sound theory than gravity

wallace1492
    Free Member

I wish that all the religions would say fair enough its all bollocks. We shall call our selves Nice Club from now on. They can still sing happy songs and help people.Obviously they will skip the hating certain people bits.
    I’m all for sun worshipping. Its definitely there and it gives life to our planet.
    Thank you Sun.

So, next Ophera show is the Pope….

“So, Mr Pope, just answer ‘Yes’ or ‘No’…”
    “You agree that the bible is a pile of bollox with no more relvence than Lord of the Rings?”….. “Yes”
    …..

ojom
    Free Member

I went to a mates church one night for a lecture from an ex assassin guy who had found religion and converted and ‘forgave’ himself… anyway, went for a meal afterwards and the guys were laughing about a guy they knew who insisted he was once abducted by aliens.

They were mocking him as they insisted aliens don’t exist.

I piped up that jesus and god don’t exist.

You know that silence that descends upon a group when someone says something they don’t like… i ate my spare ribs and left.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Religion is personal choice and religious teaching should funded and delivered outside the scope of the learning environment.

I didn’t think religion was taught in schools to make people religious, I thought it was taught to educate about different cultures, lifestyles etc?

My 6yo goes to a C of E school. They’re not taught only about Christianity. They’re not taught “Islam* is wrong” etc.

(* other religions are available)

As for the Creation vs Evolution thing, it seems to pretty much boil down to animals/plants showing similar characteristics (genetics, dna).

If things have evolved, you’d probably expect to see similarities.
    Similarly, with intelligent design / creation, you’d probably expect to see the same similarities – why reinvent the wheel every time when certain genes or dna strings can be re-used.

😀

mudshark
    Free Member

I know some Christians and went to church for a while. I used to get wound up when the creationists got going and when one said in a discussion with other Christians that anyone who wasn’t a creationist wouldn’t go to heaven I told him that the vicar of the church he went to wasn’t a creationist. He said he knew the vicar very well and doubted I was right. Maybe it was a coincidence but he soon left that church. He was a bright guy – highly paid lawyer – so it’s not about intelligence.

cranberry
    Free Member

re: mr woppit, your belief system whatever it may be, cannot help but colour how you view everything including scientific evidence. you can’t get away from your presuppositions.

I know that I am guilty of this.

If it is proven science I tend to believe something.
    If the facts fit, but there is no definite proof I tend to believe something is a theory.
    If it is in the Bible I tend to think it is horseshit.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Because sectioning people who have a different view of life to you is about as retarded as imprisoning people who have a different sexual orientation to you.

You think its rational to believe in creationsims then and that the evidence supports this

They DSMV [ ar eyou mad checklist]specfically mentions “culturally accepted beliefs” to exempt religion as it would tick all the boxes of madness otherwise- its an irrational belief as there is not enough evidence to support the conclusion

I could not be in more violent disagreement with creationists if I tried, but I wholeheartedly agree with Kenny Senior.

Somafunk you’re bordering on being offensive with your comments.

Yes please try harder as they inoffensively tell you you are an evil sinner destined to burn in hell unless you repent. Why not give an inclusive friendly message like that to them with athreat of eternal suffering for not agreeing with you?

Full of holes – it has divergent evidence from a multitude of sources rather than a big book that says how the world was made that we know to be completely wrong

Its funny to listen to folk witha religious view claim evolution has holes – its incpomplete for sure but creationism is nothing but holes

Aw come on; the evidence for gravity is a lot stronger than for evolution even if evolution is almost certainly true

Not sure it is tbh
    Evolution is one of the few theories we have that I feel confident enough to call it a universal truth for all time – we may learn more about it but we wont revise to the extent that we dont have natural selection and a common ancestor.

All state schools, even ones not run by a faith group, have to have a daily act of collective worship which is broadly Christian in nature. All schools are required by law to indoctrinate our children into the (Anglican) Christian faith, though thankfully most schools ignore, or just pay lip service to, this requirement.

THIS whats more if you belong to a faith you can demand to go to the faith school of your choice and we will bus you there. If you choose to go to a non faith school you get to go to the nearest school irrespective – only the religious have the choice to choose. Once in our non faith school we still have to worship and study RE to age 16 so it sort of negates your view about choice and equality as only the religious choose their school and only the religious teach us all how to be religious – there is no aethism act in school. Would you be happy if we did this to you ..would it be reasonable?
    Still why would I expect logic from one of faith?
    Kepep the faith as you sure dont have any evidence for your fanciful view

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 949 total)

The topic ‘Creationist religious nutjob on R4 "One to One 9.30am"’ is closed to new replies.