Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Creatine – is it safe?
  • Jezkidd
    Free Member

Someone I know (not me I’m built like superman already) has become a bit of a gym bunny and has started taking Creatine in addition to his whey protein. He insists it’s fine, and that seems to be the view put forward on fitness sites. Only thing is they would say that wouldn’t they? I’ve suggested that he at least asks a doctor, I’ve heard bad things about it and I’m concerned that it seems to be something that’s promoted as an aid that should be used systematically.

Anyone got any ideas?

somouk
    Free Member

If my memory serves me right creatine used to have a bad reputation due to causing bone issues but I believe the consensus is changing on this and it is again being accepted as being safe.

makeitorange
    Free Member

I had a friend who used to use it but stopped after his family claimed it made him aggressive and moody (quite a commonly reported side-affect). If your friend does start taking it I’d watch out for that.

Lifer
    Free Member

It’s cheaper to buy smaller t-shirts.

simonlovell999
    Free Member

there was a article, i read about a few days ago saying that protein and other supplements did more harm than good. overall too much effect on the body, especially the liver as its got to process the extra protein or creatine, it puts so much work on your system. gnc, holland & barratt and others just there to sell/market the product and say its the best thing since slice bread

bigdean

Isn’t creatine for fat burning releasing more energy. Burner gels are the only thing i’ve found usefull when feeling a bit low on fuel on a ride.

catsplums
    Free Member

Wow some really really odd view on it here!!! I’ve used it and when I used it I read in to how it works and why a fair bit. A lot of the view here are very wide of the mark. It helps retain water volume in the cells an improves the flow of waste products out, so you can work out ride or do what ever a bit longer or harder until your lactic acid ect becomes and issue, it also allows more neutrition in to the cells also during and after exercise helping the fueling and repair. It is found in the body naturally so a small increase is not (or wasn’t when I read about it) deemed to be of any danger however it does put striss on your liver or kidney getting it in to your body so not recommended if you have a past issue. It definitely will not make you more angry it does not increase testosterone or the like so the chances are anyone with that symptom will be having “roid-rage” and just lying about there “other” supplements

ratherbeintobago

If my memory serves me right creatine used to have a bad reputation due to causing bone issues

Nah. It was renal failure.

TBH I don’t think there’s much evidence it actually does anything to help build muscle; mind you the only bloke I know who was taking it forgot to do any actual training so it definitely didn’t help his performance.

Also, it’s banned in France if you’re planning to do any racing there.

It definitely will not make you more angry it does not increase testosterone or the like so the chances are anyone with that symptom will be having “roid-rage” and just lying about there “other” supplements

Agreed. Whatever it is, it’s not an androgen so anyone who says it gives them roid rage is being economical with the truth about what else they’re taking (if they actually know – a friend is an endocrinologist, and has a clinic full of people with steroid-induced testicular failure who had been taking supplements ‘prescribed’ by trainers and neither knew what nor how much they were actually taking)

Andy

catsplums
    Free Member

Indeed it technically does nothing at all to help build muscles it just helps you train a little harder or a little longer (as a side effect of the water retention whilst using it you do look a little bigger and weigh a little more but that goes as soon as you stop and the cells go back to normal size.) but as you can train that bit higher intensity it therefore helps you build the muscle quicker. And a fair dob of mind over matter as well.

Shak47

I tried it a few times, gave it up each time as it caused horrible cramping, everywhere.

catsplums
    Free Member

You do need to drink a bit more water and to be honest I tried 3 different products and only 1 had any effect but it did definitely do as advertised.

fd3chris
    Free Member

It works as advertised , well at least for me in my weight training . It gives you a bigger pump and keeps you going longer and harder and so long as you cycle one month on then one off , which is recommended , then it’s safe and the only side effects I can find are a bit of dehydration which is simply cured .

Macavity
    Free Member

http://www.scribd.com/doc/65680796/Nutritional-Concerns-in-Recreation-Exercise-And-Sport
    page242
    “In summary, the International Society of Sports Nutrition’s (ISSN) published position stand states that Creatine monohydrate is the most effective ergogenic nutritional supplement currently available in terms of increasing high-intensity exercise capacity and lean body mass during training. The ISSN states that Creatine supplementation is not only safe, but possibly beneficial in regard to preventinginjury. There is also no evidence of detrimental short- or long-term efects of Creatine supplementation. The quickest method of increasing muscle Creatine stores appears to be to consume approximately 0.3 g per kg of body weight per day of Creatine monohy-drate for at least 3 days followed by 3–5 g per day thereafter to maintain elevatedstores. Ingesting smaller amounts of Creatine monohydrate (e.g. 2–3 g per day) will increase muscle Creatine stores over a 3- to 4-week period; however, the performance effects of this method are less supported. The addition of carbohydrate or carbohydrate and protein to a Cr supplement appears to increase muscular retention of Creatine, although the effect on performance measures may not be greater than using Creatine monohydrate alone.”

Macavity
    Free Member
    pudd
    Free Member

100% safe but you will need to increase water intake considerably as it won’t work without it. Plus it only works while taking it.
    Example: i benched 60 kilos comfortably but whilst on creatine after a few sessions i was benching 100 kilos but as soon as i stopped using it i struggled with weights over 80 kilos again.

footflaps

International Society of Sports Nutrition’s

Hardly the Lancet is it?

EDIT sounds like a Collective of Quacks / PTs….

nickswolves
    Free Member

I used to use it in my gym days and it seemed to affect my immune system as I constantly caught colds

MussEd
    Free Member

It’s cheaper to buy smaller t-shirts.

I believe it’s actually mandatory to buy smaller t-shirts when you get that obsessed with weight training…

Edric64
    Free Member

I believe it’s actually mandatory to buy smaller t-shirts when you get that obsessed with weight training…

And smaller pants if on steroids

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Creatine – is it safe?’ is closed to new replies.