Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Cream Teas
  • trailwagger
    Free Member

I need to tap into the collective hive mind of STW.

Watching The Crown last night and Queenie was having cream tea with Jackie O. There was quite a lot of attention put onto the way the queen was putting on the cream and jam. I know there is the argument of cream or jam first, but what was the significance of this scene, if any? I’m sure it has some significance as the director/editor really did make a point of showing how the Queen did it.

*Possibly the shortest thread ever, but I have googled it and nothing.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I know there is the argument of cream or jam first,

There is no argument. There is the right way, and the wrong way.

#creamfirst

perchypanther
    Free Member

Jam?

OMG! The Queen is so posh and up herself.

#jamfirst #teamcornwall

slowoldman

So how did the Queen do it? Jackie O for that matter.

scaredypants

it’s all just complex sexual metaphor / foreplay

isn’t it ?

#bannedfromthegardencentre

trailwagger
    Free Member

So how did the Queen do it? Jackie O for that matter.

Didn’t see Jackie O, it was focused on Queenie.

Spoon full on jam onto plate. Then cream first directly onto scone, jam second from the plate.

martinhutch

A religion thread, now this. Brace yourselves.

eddie11
    Free Member

Butter jam cream. Done.

crazy-legs

#creamfirst

In many thing Flashy I admire and respect you. You’re funny and you’re named after a Blackadder character which is always a sign of good taste.

But in this case you are plain wrong. Go away and think about what you’ve done.

bearnecessities

Last night I had a dream that the Queen Mother was trying to seduce me in Buckingham Palace. I reluctantly went upstairs to fetch something from her bedroom (can’t remember what), but I was grateful just to get away from her. I found 4 rooms, immaculately presented and I can remember quite a bit of detail from the architraves to the purple & cream colour split on the walls None were bedrooms though. So I kept looking but ended up in the hotel section, which was a bit tatty. Eventually I found the bedrooms on the other side of the palace and was looking out of each for the one with the best view, when a servant knocked on the door and presented me with a jacket that Queen Ma wanted me to wear, which was a Santa suit. I then woke up.

No jam was involved.

scaredypants

No jam was involved in this dream.

eww, cream only? – pervert!

trailwagger
    Free Member

Butter jam cream. Done.

BUTTER!!!! are you mad?

ChrisL

Trying to turn this into the biggest holy war on STW…

I wonder if there’s correlation between cream first/jam first people and their Brexit voting inclinations? 🙂

Also does how you pronounce “scone” indicate whether you are left wing or right wing?

colp

Has to be jam first, the cream is slightly softer and can’t support the weight of the jam.

CFH, I bet you put salt on your chips before the vinegar. Amateur.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Has to be jam first, the cream is slightly softer and can’t support the weight of the jam.

This. there is no logic to putting the cream on first. The Clotted Cream (don’t even begin to suggest whipped cream) is the crowing glory of a cream tea. Everything else is just a method of maximising the enjoyment of the cream. You can’t possibly spread jam on top of cream – you just end up pushing the cream off the scone and minimising the amount of cream.

I’m in the no butter camp (can’t get too excided about butter but for me it just dirties up the flavour and texture of the Clotted Cream), a thin smattering of Jam as the jam is just there to add a bit of fruity sweetness – it’s not about the Jam, its all about the Clotted Cream. Then a good inch or so of cream mounted on top.

Then when you bite into it the dominating flavour and texture is of the Clotted Cream and not the cheap sweet Jam. Then it all combines in the mouth.

fadda

I’m with CFH, and the rest of you are simply wrong/Cornish.

Butter is optional, in my book, although I prefer not to, but jam first is the devils work.

cheers_drive

Clotted cream is not softer than jam!
    Cream has to go first

scaredypants

Clotted cream is not softer than jam!

faulty jam in aisle 3 – technician required

wobbliscott
    Free Member

But jam on top means you get a gob full of jam. A cream tea is a rare treat, you can have jam on toast every day.

Clotted cream is softer than jam. It practically runs off the scone in a slow oozy way if its warm. The crust on top is firm, but the cream beneath is like very stiff double cream. You simply can’t spread jam on top of clotted cream.

I use the plasterer method of applying the cream on the jam to get a good thick layer. A big dollop on the knife then scraping it off the rim of the scone….then get it in yer gob quick before it slowly oozes off. It’s a messy affair, but few things in life beat it.

colp

wobbliscott is on point with his cream tea knowledge.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Jam first then cream..always
    It’s also pronounced with a hard O..as in on ..not the poncy southern way with a w as in scowne…

trailwagger
    Free Member

Also does how you pronounce “scone” indicate whether you are left wing or right wing?

You don’t pronounce the e so its scon

rOcKeTdOg

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    I know there is the argument of cream or jam first,

#creamfirst

how can one man be so wrong, and anyway marmalade cream tea is the correct answer

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

This place is populated with savages.

colp

If the Queen was putting cream on first then I’m sorry but she should abdicake

ourmaninthenorth

You don’t pronounce the e so its scon

While Flashy is somewhat misguided in the order of events, one thing he will certainly tell you I’m sure, is that it’s pronounced “scahn”.

Anyway, back to the OP’s quesiton. Though I have never watched this film, I assume it’s designed to give a lingering view of the perculiarly British activity of eating scones, jam and cream in the afternoon in spite of having done nothing more strenuous than tinkling a little bell to egt the staff to come running for your every whim.

scaredypants

“scahn”

😯 – please upload a sound file of this. I’ve got “gaw blimey Mary Poppins” in my head

matt_outandabout

A religion thread, now this. Brace yourselves.

You do realise that Catholics are opposed to jam first? Protestants on the other hand fight the corner for cream to finish…

NJA

It’s a ‘Scon’ and Jam first – simple.

Cougar

I have no allegiance one way or other so defer to logic. And logic states thusly:

You simply can’t spread jam on top of clotted cream.

The only way you can put cream on first is if you’re not using enough cream. And that way madness lies.

jambourgie
    Free Member

You can spread jam onto clotted cream cos it’s, well, clotted.

Butter provides a binding-coat. A foundation if you will.

#notthisshitagain

Carbis

As stated there is a right way and a wrong way.

The right way is with Rodda’s clotted cream, the wrong way is using anything else.

rOcKeTdOg

Carbis – Member
    As stated there is a right way and a wrong way.

The right way is with Rodda’s clotted cream

maybe BiTD, over processed rubbish now

bigblackshed

I’ll defend the actress who was playing the Queen, she was obviously under direction from the director who is/was wrong.

The correct and only way a scon should be constructed and devoured is half a scon, real Butter, homemade thick jam, clotted cream. In equal thickness measures. Now repeat for the other have.

Rocketdog has ventured into marmalade territory, in which he is quite correct, it is delicious and perfectly acceptable.

convert

1. Enter the National Trust cafe of your choice and order cream tea
    2. When it arrives look for closest scathing traditionalist (of either sect) poised to pour scorn with a disapproving tut at your layering order.
    3. Beat him/her to a bloody lifeless pulp with a walking stick or Zimmer frame (there will be many to hand).
    4. Sit quietly and wait for the saga party to exit the cafe and get away from the scary man.
    5. In the 15 mins of peace and quiet until the local plod fires up their Austin Metro to hunt you down closely examine the density and malleability of the cream and jam you have available to you.
    6. Like a perfectly sane a rational human free of bizarre traditions and rituals choose the more stable material of the two for your substrate and top with the other.
    7. Eat, savor and enjoy in the tranquil surroundings of your private dining experience then quietly slip out the back door before PC Dixon arrives.

RustySpanner

There is a third way.

Put the other half of the scone back on top.

Turn the other way up if offended.

An end to The Scone Wars?

Anyway, it’s nice for the Southerners to have something to bicker about.
    It’s hardly the war of the roses in any incarnation, or Glasgow v Edinburgh for that matter, but I’m happy that they can join in.

timber

Clotted Cream on top.
    Going all out, fruit scone halved, butter, strawberry jam, more clotted cream than scone, the more the better.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

and not the cheap sweet Jam

Oh for Pete’s sake. Are people really this stupid?

You’re really moaning about the taste of the cheap sweet jam that YOU’RE putting on your scone.

Can you perhaps, if you think really really hard, think of the obvious solution to this?

hodgynd
    Free Member

What ..and cause a scene in the tea shop..?

madhouse

I’m Cornish and round our way we’re proud of our cream, so we put it on top. It’s the best bit so why have to regulate the volume by having to add another layer of something? Jam base layer on the scone, then the biggest volume of the clotted stuff you can physically get on – ‘ansum.

That lot in Devon may know how to make custard but they know naff all about making a proper cream tea.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Cream Teas’ is closed to new replies.