Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Creaky Yeti 5
  • DrDomRob
    Free Member

Hi All,

Purchased a rather fine Yeti 5 for the missus last month, but it seems to have started creaking. I think it is coming from the pivot points on the rear suspension.

I guess a pivot service would be in order, but this is the first time I've tried servicing a full susser, is there anything I should know before I dive in and cover everything in grease?

Dom

timpol
    Free Member

Its easy to do but if its a month old and creaking id just take it back to the dealer and let them sort it!

lagerfanny
    Free Member

Congrats on a superb purchase!
    first try applying some grease evenly spread around the seat tube,
    make sure the rear skewer is done up tight,
    apply some grease between the rear mech hanger & frame,
    then if it's still creaking have a word with the supplying LBS but I don't advise greasing pivot points just yet.

Hadge
    Free Member

Creaks can come from a multitude of places, for instance is it an old chainset you've fitted – are the crank bolts greased slightly? The seatpost fit – always a good place to look first. It's a matter of eliminating them all one by one and you'll get to the bottom of it. If it's still there after you've checked all the parts you've fitted then that's the time take it back to the shop. Nice bike too.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Hi guys,

meant to say it's 2k5 version so I doubt the dealer would be overly impressed on me trying to get anything on warranty!!! It came from the classifieds on here, go STW!

The missus is really happy with it, the creaking is just starting to interfere with the convo's during the ride!!! The trouble is she gets louder to compensate 😉

I've put a deore disc groupset on it for the moment to get going and will upgrade as we go, but this is all less than a month old with only about 10 – 15 hrs riding on it.

We went out today for a short <1hr30m x-country ride with no big hits in it and I didn't notice the creaking at all, the other rides we've done have been a 3 hr ride at llandegla which resulted in some creaking and some 2 – 3 hr x-country rides which were mostly xc oriented, but it was on these I noticed it the most.

I'm wondering whether the bearings might heat up and swell or something over the longer rides…

Cheers for the suggestions though.

uplink
    Free Member

I've no idea what a 2k5 is but …..

over time my 575 starts creaking from the headset spacers – a quick dismantle & clean sorts it out

DrDomRob
    Free Member

I meant a 2005 model, sorry I should have been a bit clearer, it's a 2005 ASR.

Looks like I'll be taking it apart and giving it a clean after the next ride.

nonk
    Free Member

HOLD ON….
    before you take it all to bits take off the gear hanger clean it, spot of lube on the contact area bolt it back together.
    yeti hangers are shockers for creaking.

DrDomRob
    Free Member

Well,

I went to start taking the bike to bits (One piece at a time) to super lube it all up, and before I got any where I noticed that I had been pushing down on the saddle to make it creak… turns out the saddle is really quite creaky. The rest of the bike is fine.

Happy days 😀

Hadge
    Free Member

Ti railed saddles are notorious for creaking so glad you got it sorted 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Creaky Yeti 5’ is closed to new replies.