Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Creaky wheel – is it possible to tell if its the hub or spokes?
  • Hareydan
    Free Member

Following advice I read on this forum I finally managed to isolate my bikes creak to the rear wheel. Question is, is it possible to work out where in the wheel the creak is coming from?? Hub is a hope xc, about 5 years old and the spokes are coincidently also about 5 years old, standard stainless steel I think, possibly a bit looser than they once were.

Cheers for any advice

tk46hal
    Free Member

This happened to me and I did everything until it could be nothing else but the rear wheel. Turned out to be the bearings and had the spokes tightened at the same time. All quiet again!
    By the way, 5 years is a long time for bearings if you use the bike regularly!

anc
    Free Member

Rear wheel creaks are often caused by the skewer(lightweight ones) not able to clamp down tight enough. Try a different skewer or grease your dropouts to see if it is the cause.

jedi

+1 anc

Hareydan
    Free Member

Cheers all, I’ve tried greasing the dropouts and that didn’t help, I think I’ve got an old skewer somewhere so will try that next. It has been serviced a couple of times over the 5 years!

LardLover
    Free Member

Also, check the freehub body whilst you’re on. I had an annoying creak, turned out the freehub was moving ever so slightly.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Creaky wheel – is it possible to tell if its the hub or spokes?’ is closed to new replies.