Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Creaky – ticky – pingy annoying seatpost – what do YOU do???
  • fadass
    Free Member

As title really – got a Scandal with 27.2mm seatpost and new Thomson seatpost thinking it was originally a problem with the On-one post. Post and frame cleaned and greased weekends as are the bolts to the seat clamp but after a few days riding (commute every day on it) it comes back especially going uphill and proper p*sses me off 🙁

Is it shim time? When its all reassembled there’s a tiny gap between both frame and post and you can wiggle the seat/seatpost back and forth in the frame. . . . . new seatpost clamp has been put on this lunchtime hoping its going to be a bit stronger than the On-one one supplied……..

Rorschach
    Free Member

Are you sure it is’nt the saddle?

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

the rails can click and creak, I just spray on some silicon and it seems to stop it

5lab

carbon assembly paste should sort you out

druidh
    Free Member

Earplugs?

fadass
    Free Member

Pretty sure it isn’t the saddle – having said that it is pretty new too…….i’ll spray some GT85 underneath it all tonight and see if that helps……

ntreid
    Free Member

+1 for the GT85.

Having said that, from your description it sounds like you’ve got the wrong size post.

fadass
    Free Member

Post is 27.2 from Merlin – seatpost diameter 27.2 according to On One and the one that came with it originally……

Burls72
    Free Member

+1 on the saddle. I’ve found they all creak in time but the worse by far was the fizik gobi, drove me nuts.

scaredypants

I have a scandal – recently sounds like it’s trying to snap after a few miles, definitely seatpost related (stops when I stand up and also can reproduce a creak by pushing on the post when I’m off the bike). Opening & redoing the clamp can shut it up for a mile or so.

Trying a different post next ride

khani
    Free Member

When its all reassembled there’s a tiny gap between both frame and post and you can wiggle the seat/seatpost back and forth in the frame

Sounds like your seatube is a bit oversize, try a ragley 27.3, made for just this problem iirc

thomthumb
    Free Member

my scandal has a creak which may be the seat post. it does it out of the saddle though…

sam_underhill

another +1 on the saddle. I spray GT85 into the points where the rails go in to the body. Clicky annoying noise goes away for a while, sometimes weeks sometimes months.

yossarian
    Free Member

another +1 on the saddle. I spray GT85 into the points where the rails go in to the body. Clicky annoying noise goes away for a while, sometimes weeks sometimes months.

I know someone who uses a grease gun to get the same results 🙂

fadass
    Free Member

Thanks all – i’ll look at the Ragley post 😀

Jezkidd
    Free Member

I had this problem, I applied thomson to the problem area. The problem went away. Consider doing the same.

fadass
    Free Member

Jezkidd – thomson what?

khani
    Free Member

Think he means a seatpost, which is a good cure for a creaky head
    But it won’t return a oversized seatube to the correct size if that’s the problem

beanieripper
    Free Member

is your saddle too far back/forwards? if you clamp on the part of the rail which isnt perfectly straight they will do this…i had an inline thomson that did it as the seat was a bit far back on the rails…

fadass
    Free Member

Charge spoon – set inbetween the measurement guides on the rails not passsing the front/back limits so i think its ok……

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

as stupid as it sounds – have you done the QR or bolt up nice and tight on the seat collar? ive had this before, especially sitting and climbing pushing body forward – and the seat collar wasnt quite tight enough….tightened it up abit more and the noise went…long shot but worth mentioning!

fadass
    Free Member

O W – yes, and this’ll be the 3rd seatpost clamp on it today…On one own brand allen key type that came with the bike, Hope Q/R off another bike (now cracked – 2nd one it 3 years!) and a nice new Thomson one that doesn’t appear to be as well built or strong as it does in pics online…….. only time will tell i’m sure 😕

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

ahh right sorry for asking the obvious – just thought worth a check – salsa flip locks are really sturdy and lock up nice and tight if that helps! had a thomson one myself bolt up, but your only suppose to torque it up to 2nm, so its nowhere near as tight as a qr one…

fadass
    Free Member

Thanks for that – i’ll probably invest in one of those then as i’m not filled with confidence over the Thomson one TBH

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

i didnt have a creak on the seatpost anyways tbh – ive only had it when ive not done the QR tight enough but it creates your symptons just the same – the only thing i can assure you is that the salsa, is better than the hope, thomson, orange, etc etc it replaced – much tighter clamping without feeling its going to snap, and nice smooth action of the QR…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Creaky – ticky – pingy annoying seatpost – what do YOU do???’ is closed to new replies.