Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Creaky Swapouts on Scandal 29
  • rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Got a 29 Scandal new last week. The swap out/dropouts have been creaking. Turns out the female bolts are slightly too long, new ones are being sent.

However, has anyone had this problem and how did they solve it?
    I am going to take them out, clean, refit dry. Hva considered a light spread of dry wax lube over the mating surfaces.

Any thoughts on the bolts, can you get stronger ones?

Apart from that great bike, just need some lighter tyres for the summer.

emac65
    Free Member

Apart from that great bike

Could do without this,as I’m trying to think of reasons why I don’t want/need one………

just need some lighter tyres for the summer.

Hold fire on that,I think summer’s just ended mate………….

wwaswas

I put a light smear of grease on the mating surfaces and threadlock on the bolt threads and haven’t had any noises.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Cheers for the replies already!
    Summers still here and its fast, but loose. What tyres are people using, very tempted by some Crossmarks, have a 26 pair and they are very very fast.

Any thoughts on longevity of the bolts, think I will be checking them quite often..

emac65
    Free Member

29″ tyres – I’m very happy with Ralphs on the Anthem & Inbred…

wwaswas

Well, they’ve not come loose yet. *runs off to check*

Those Geax Sugauro 29er things that On-one are knocking out are pretty good. Nod idea on weight v racier tread but they’ve been good in the dry and I can see them not leaving me scrabbling for grip after a summer shower.

captain_bastard
    Free Member

the issue with the dropouts is the hole is drilled too deep, the fix is to put a thin split washer in

loads of people, myself included, have the same issue – *simple thing would be for on-one to check the frames and supply washer if necessary, it’s a cheap frame so most people would be happy to have this simple fix

(*instead of ignore, and leave their customers to work this out for themselves)

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Hmmm yeah like checking when they are being built up…..?

i really like On One and what they stand for but this is a bit iffy, especially if you were not clued up about it.

The whole mount could fall off and cause an accident.

I say this as a friend is still in hospital after 3 days with a fractured vertebrae, after stacking it on Sunday whilst were riding on its first big ride. This was more user error i must add.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

captain, what size washer did you use, I gotta go to Screwfix to get some thread lock.

wwaswas

I say this as a friend is still in hospital after 3 days with a fractured vertebrae, after stacking it on Sunday whilst were riding on its first big ride.

his drop out fell off?

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

no, he landed on his head at 27 mph, so I am mindful of what can happen.

the issue is if the bolts are assembled and shipped with a known fault, ie the female bolts are too long to prevent adequate tightening then its very iffy.

the forces generated through braking and the chain etc will in time cause a failure if not assembled correctly

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

just reassembled, it all, looks like there may be some truth in the short female bolt. swapped it all round and that bolt is spinning abit freely.

anyhow new bolts coming soon, if it dont work out i will send the bike back!

captain_bastard
    Free Member

captain, what size washer did you use, I gotta go to Screwfix to get some thread lock.

a little brass split one i found lurking in bottom of tool box

just reassembled, it all, looks like there may be some truth in the short female bolt. swapped it all round and that bolt is spinning abit freely

That’s cos the hole it sits in is drilled a tiny bit to deep so the bolt doesn’t bottom out and instead spins merrily around – shorter bolt or said washer is the fix

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Ok, cheers. Will wait for new bolt.

Interesting to see how the swap outs flex when brake is pulled when spinning wheel, compared to my 26 er Scandal which has a traditional mount. No flex but you can almost see the forces go through the frame.

Also the ride between the two is so different, hard to explain, buts ones nimble and quick the other fast and sure footed. Enjoying both.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Well new bolts and swap outs are on the way…. Hopefully on Friday.

If you use a shorter bolt, surely this could cause a failure as there will not be the strength provided by the full insertion.

Any ideas on the strongest bolt you could use, ie solid?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Creaky Swapouts on Scandal 29’ is closed to new replies.