Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Creaky pushfit BB92
  • Rickos
    Free Member

It started creaking after about 150 miles and is getting worse. I don’t think the BB itself is gone, but it might be. My theory is that it’s the cups creaking in the frame. Is there any remedy for this or now that it’s started it will always be creaky until a new one is put in? And then that one will start to creak and so begins the circle of BB92…

Also, is it possible that the BB of the frame is getting damaged in any way?

Ta!

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

What BB have you got in there?

Rickos
    Free Member

Race Face of some sort.

Rickos
    Free Member

Bumpage for the day timer working slackers “I’m on a break” types.

DT78
    Free Member

Had a similar issue. Cup could move very slightly on drive side with cheap shimano bb. Not sure Whether bb is slightly small or frame slightly large, but fitting a hope needed the tool to fit properly and seems solid (maybe better tolerances on hope?)

Other options researched but not tried, some people use Teflon tape or worse case bond the hope bb in the frame

lunge

You can try taking the crank out and giving it all a through clean and greasing, this will help for a few miles. Next you can knock the cups out and grease those as well, again this will help for a short while.

Beyond that you’re into after market BB territory, I was recommended Hope by my LBS and this has certainly helped but not completely cured it. There are other options too from Chris King, Wheels Manufacturing and the like, it depends on how much you want to spend.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Race Face of some sort.

Think you’ve highlighted your issue there 😉

Run bikes with BB92’s for about the last 4 years (all Shimano) & never had a creak, even when the bearings were shot.

Put a Shimano one in there.

dazh

Welcome to my world. I have the creakiest bottom bracket on the planet. Tried everything, grease, no grease, loctite. Nothing has worked. I’ve sort of learned to live with it, but now have to apologise to anyone I’m riding with for the noise.

Rickos
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I’ll try a Shimano, but looks like a more expensive one will need to be tried at some point. And then ear muffs…

eshershore
    Free Member

same issue with my road bike, using Shimano press fit BB

I’ll remove, clean, re-grease and refit it, and then 4-8 weeks later (depending on weather) it starts creaking / clicking, just very slightly, but enough to be annoying on each pedal stroke.

I know its the BB because I have done all the usual like changing pedals, changing skewers, headset bearing, etc. And tried fitting a new BB.

Last time I used gap-fill Loctite (bearing fit compound) which seemed to work well for 6 weeks; however Loctite tends to crack when a fitment has flex, and its just started clicking again….

Rickos
    Free Member

Esher shore – I think we were in the mtb club at uni in Newcastle together. Am I right?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Creaky pushfit BB92’ is closed to new replies.