Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Creaky hope bb
  • pedlad

I have a relatively new bb that creaks loads when I grunt a big gear rather than spin. Are there any simple diy things I can try before resorting to the not so local bike shop?

gamo
    Free Member

There is a service video on the Hope website which shows how to clean strip the bearing seals,try removing the cups give the bb shell a good
    clean and refit as well(had one which creaked which was caused by swarf/grit in the bb shell).

foxyrider
    Free Member

Mine used to creak with the older style of XT crank as the axle diameter was not quite big enough – once swapped with and LX crank on another bike was fine – just a thought?

pedlad

Thanks. Will have a look a vid tonight

messiah
    Free Member

A little plumbers PTFE tape on the threads.

anjs
    Free Member

Are you sure its the BB which is creaking?

pedlad

Pretty certain it is. Have checked seat rails pedals and suspension pivots

anjs
    Free Member

chainring bolts done up?

anc
    Free Member

More than likely the interface between the crank axle and the bb bearing surface. Look for signs of wear on the crank axle. Heavy duty waterproof grease in these areas should sort it or at least reduce it..

pedlad

OK – watched vide and able to do the seals bit of the service, but suspect the creak is more than just that (its not gritty) so was thinking I’d take the cups off and mnake sure everything ok.

But my lidl tool kit doesn’t have the tool for removing the external bb cups. Can I use a wrench wrapped in a rag or will this knacker it?

thanks!

coatesy
    Free Member

May also be worth checking your QR is tight, we’ve cured quite a few creaking BBs by nipping up a slightly loose QR.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

What cranks are you using?

I get creaks with my Race Face cranks, if I tighten the crank bolt too much.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Creaky hope bb’ is closed to new replies.