Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Creaky front wheel road bike
  • tails
    Free Member

I recently bought my first road bike a btwin triban second hand

The front wheel has started to make a slight creak, only when I’m on the bike not when I’m just pushing it.

It’s not the brake scraping the wheel.
    It has a rhythm to the noise.
    I greased the cup and cone hub, but only with a general purpose grease.

What could it be spokes? The join on the rim? If I bought a new wheel would a sealed hub offer a more fit and forget solution, btwin produce one but I could buy a low rent shims I or magic for similar money.

Cheers

aP
    Free Member

Sure its the wheel?
    Check the headset, the gear and brake cables and the stem/ bars tightness

maxlite
    Free Member

Try undoing qr and re-tighten

dovebiker

Yup, try QR first

tails
    Free Member

I’m going to strip the bike this weekend, but I’m sure it’s the wheel.

tails
    Free Member

I’ve greased the QR but will do so again. Thanks

jimdubleyou

Have you checked the spokes?

I had a horrible creaking noise from my cross bike under pedaling, so assumed it was the BB. Stripped it all, regreased it all, still creaking. Bought a Hope bottom bracket even (not fitted it yet).

Swapped onto my spare wheels to go for a road ride, and no creaking!

Now I come to think of it, the creaking was accompanied by some “ticking” noises which was probably the spokes.

Suffice to say, the wheels I normally use need some attention!

AndrewJ
    Free Member

It’s usually the headset with me but it sounds like it’s coming from the wheel. Take the bearings out and clean them and the cups. Very lightly grease them and refit. It’s so annoying and usually happens after a wet spell when things have dried out.

tails
    Free Member

Lightly grease them? I thought with cup and cone you plastered them in grease.

AndrewJ
    Free Member

Cup and cone bearings in a headset? I was referring to sealed headset bearings.

crikey
    Free Member

It will probably be the spokes moving in the rim, especially if the bike has been thoroughly washed and left to dry before being sold.

Quick way to test it; wet the wheel all around the rim, getting the rim/spoke junction wet then test it. If it stops creaking, put a drop of oil on each spoke hole and you’re all done.

tails
    Free Member

Spokes tip sounds good I’ll do the headset as well as both hubs

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Creaky front wheel road bike’ is closed to new replies.