Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Creaky cranky
  • Pyro

Hey up – thought I'd pick the collective brain…

My LX HTII cranks have developed a horrible creak, seems to be play in non-drive side clampy bit. I've cleaned and greased the splines, tightened as much as I felt was reasnable (ie, not handing off the wrench, but not being over gentle…), but a combination of alloy bolts and crap allen keys means they're starting to round off.

So can anyone advise me if
    a) there's a better way of sorting this than just trying to apply extra pressure, or if not
    b) a good place to get some decent steel bolts the right size and a decent allen key to do 'em up with?!!

Cheers

Pyro

Digimap
    Free Member

If the bolts are starting to round then replace them immediately. You do not want to be drilling them out.

You sure it's the splined interface that's creaking. The bearings inserts tend to creak too so take them out, grease the bottom bracket threads, stick them back in. That silenced my road bike HT2.

Pyro

Cheers for that – yeah, I don't fancy having to drill them, so I'm after a pair of new bolts anyway.

It's definitely the interface, if I turn the bike over and press the pedals with my hands I fan feel the movement that accompanies the creak (just been playing since I posted originally).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Creaky cranky’ is closed to new replies.