Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Creaky bottom bracket – Whippet content
  • timidwheeler
    Free Member

My whippet creaks and groans when I put any power through the pedals. I think the bottom bracket is moving slightly inside the frame. I am struggling to find a suitable replacement BB that is in stock, accept the token one (which is the one I am replacing). I am using hollowtech 2.

Can anyone recommend an alternative and has anyone had a similar problem?
    Any advice welcome.
    Cheers

danielgroves
    Free Member

Order one of these from this guy. Arrived with 48-hours. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360712985816?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

All in original packaging as well.

timidwheeler
    Free Member

Cheers, but I need press fit BB92.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    timidwheeler
    Free Member

Cheeky bump for the evening crew

Stigheed

Are you sure it’s the bottom bracket? Curiously a lot of bike noise appears as though it is coming from that area when it isn’t.

Garry_Lager

No help, but had the same issue today on the whippet – creaking like a shithouse door.
    Mine’s 2 years old, so I guess I’ve had a good run given that it seems a common problem.
    The bearings on the bb seem to be spot on still – there’s no lateral movement at all. So I guess it’s something to do with the press fitting getting a bit loose? I’ve never disassembled a press fit bb so I can’t really visualise what might be causing the problem.

timidwheeler
    Free Member

I think it’s coming from the BB. It is definitely at it’s most noticeable when I stand up and pedal. This may sound weird but the bike creaks less after it has been ridden a while. It seems better after a warm up.
    *wonders if creaky groaning might actually be coming from the rider*

curiousyellow
    Free Member

I had the same thing happen. Mechanic couldn’t find anything wrong with it.

toys19
    Free Member

Pedals are often the creakiest part on a bike..

whatgoesup

Have you checked that the swop outs are properly tight (maybe loctite them in place), that’s what I found was the problem with my whippet and also with a scandal frame. It sounds like the bottom bracket because it creaks every time you apply power. Oh, I ended up using some ‘light’ loctite around the bottom bracket as well as this was also creaking slightly.

timidwheeler
    Free Member

It turns out I had two creaks. One was the headset which I fixed by removing, cleaning and greasing it. The other creak went after I tightened the seat post bolt a quarter turn. That said I am convinced that there is movement in the bottom bracket. I just doesn’t make any noise 😀

paul_m

Couple of other things you could check – Are all the chainring bolt’s clean and tight – loose bolts will creak, I have also cured a creak by lightly greasing the inside of the seat clamp.

Creaking is generally metal rubbing against metal, so it is worth cleaning up and greasing any area where there is metal to metal contact.

I am currently using a KCNC PG92 BB from Clee Cycles and it seems fine

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Or use a light stud locking compound – grease will stop the creak but could promote movement where there shouldn’t be any. Studlock should stop the creak and prevent any movement.

toys19
    Free Member

[/quote]

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Creaky bottom bracket – Whippet content’ is closed to new replies.