Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Creaking Zesty
  • timblake
    Free Member

Hi folks, so my otherwise un-faultable Lapierre Zesty has developed a major creak in it's rear end! Has anyone else had this happen? Mine is the original 314 in silver (two years old now). I suspect it is the rear Horst link as I think this is a bushing where the other links have bearings. Anyone got any knowledge of this and of what to do. Nirvana had a vague idea but without taking it down there (100 miles for me) it's hard for them to say whats up.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

Sounds like (pardon the pun) time for a bushing/bearing change. I would change the lot. Best to do it right away before it damages your frame or shock.

pstokes99
    Free Member

I had the same problem last summer – it's a noise you simply could ignore. You may just need to get some new grease in the main bearing*.

* you'll have to remove the cranks and front mech – but then it is just a couple of allen keys and you can get to the bearing. I just cleaned it out as best I could and then put some more grease in.

luked2
    Free Member

My advice? Get a proper bike.

You might then manage to keep up with me 🙂

dasnut
    Free Member

grab the rear wheel and waggle.
    you should be able to see any movement either in the main pivot or feel movement in the pivots in the chainstay (which are bushes as you say)

check the main bearing axle is done up properly. Mine (same year 714) has come loose a few times.
    If its a bush, get both sides replaced. Mine lasted just over a year (its been pretty heavily abused)

main bearings a likely fine as they are decent enduro ones (unless you use a jet wash of course)

timblake
    Free Member

luked2—would you be the same rider I blasted past at Thetford after 2.5 hours the other night? p.s. your bike has a few gears missing… =p

timblake
    Free Member

thanks for your ideas guys, I'll have a go tomorrow. cheers

timblake
    Free Member

Update: I bought a pair of bolts for the rear link from Nirvana for £6, greased the bushings and screwed in the new bolts in with a touch of copperslip. No more squeaking. Happy Days!
    thanks for the help
    Tim

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Update: I bought a pair of bolts for the rear link from Nirvana for £6, greased the bushings and screwed in the new bolts in with a touch of copperslip. No more squeaking. Happy Days!
    thanks for the help
    Tim

Yep, lapierres suffer from this problem from time to time. Pretty quick 5 min job to undo pivot just below the rear axle, remove bushes and clean. It gets pretty sticky and dry in there!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Creaking Zesty’ is closed to new replies.