Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Creaking Turner
  • giantjason
    Free Member

I put my 5Spot together about 2 months ago and everytime i have been out on it it creaks like crazy.

i have taken apart the whole drive train, chainrings, BB and cleaned and greased it but with no success.

It creaks on nearly every pedal stroke when putting the pressure on. This can be replicated by holding the bike upright and applying pressure to one of the pedals when not sat on the bike!

Has anyone any ideas?

singlespeedstu

Have a look on the Turner forum on MTBR.

If it's a DW link Turner it could be the linkage pivots.

giantjason
    Free Member

yes it is a dw link.

i dont think its the suspension because when i dont put pressure on the pedals and bounce on the suspension it is silent through its travel. This lead me to believe it was the drive train.

singlespeedstu

Well as you've not cured the problem you might be looking in the wrong place. 😉
    My money would be on the linkages creaking when side loaded.

I had a Sultan out on test that had the same problem.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Dry or loose pedal, bb or chainring bolt threads.

giantjason
    Free Member

its not the pedal because when i ride along clipped in it doesnt creak.

took all the BB and chainring bolts apart and cleaned and greased them with no success.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

overpriced merkin tat

cynic-al
    Free Member

Pedal threads

bigant

Have you looked at the rear hub/cassette?

rexated
    Free Member

it's a known problem for 09 dw frames
    search on mtbr turner forum for 'creaking flux' or suchlike – something to do with the pivot bolts IIRC.

shiny
    Free Member

It is most likely the pivot bolts, Turner – if you contact them will send you some new stainless steel ones. I think they refer to them as 'sex bolts' – not sure why but it stopped the creaking.

Also, try pumping grease into all the zirc grease ports – sometimes it is a bedding in issue.

Good luck
    Shiny

toons
    Free Member

As rexated said it's a known problem.

Email greg@turnerbikes.com and he'll send you new shafts with deeper grooves.

That fixed my creak.

singlespeedstu

Is there an echo in here. 😉

dickie
    Free Member

My DW Flux was bad – turned out to be the mech hanger. Took off, cleaned, & covered joining faces with copper Slip.

jsm

My old 5spot creaks if any of the main linkage bolts are not tight enough. Use a torque wrench to check. Once in a while I checked them.

Other sources of creaks, external bb, bash ring bolts and crank bolts. Usually a bit of grease and threadlock sort it out.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Possibly the hex links. Greg will send out a pack with everything you need for free pretty quickly – I got mine in a few days. Also check the little inserts for the rear brake calliper adapter. You can put some grease on them too.

For the record, mine has never creaked or squeaked (touches 'wood').

nuke

Interesting as my new 09 Flux creaks a bit. Always thought it was the saddle…off to the shed for a bit of testing

giantjason
    Free Member

just an update.

emailed Greg @ Turner and a new set of 'sex' bolts and pins are on there way to me.

Will keep you updated on the progress of my creak when i get the new set in.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Creaking Turner’ is closed to new replies.