Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • creaking superlight
  • robob
    Free Member

my lightly used superlight has developed a creak. my first though was seat post / saddle but i have removed it and the creak persists.

it sounds like the creak is coming from the frame, although i can't be sure.

is there any common areas i should look at? or am i barking up the wrong tree?

thanks!

dickie
    Free Member

Try taking out the pivot axle & greasing it all up then put it back together.

Then try your BB.
    Then you pedal axles in the crank arms.
    Then try your chainring bolts.

I've had creaks from cable ferrules in the frame stops!

NikNak7890
    Free Member

It could be anywhere there's a dry metal/metal interface, and noise tends to travel along Alumimium.

First guess would be maybe bottom bracket/cranks/pedals, or bars/stem.

robob
    Free Member

cheers chaps.

i've removed the seat post, popped the cables out and have tried twisted the frame by only holding the frame and the creaks still there so i'm going to try the main pivot grease thing first! tomorows job now though, i'm 1/2 a bottle of red down and the bbqs lit 😀

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

could be the shock DU bearings

ltheisinger
    Free Member

I have had this myself and I have advised several people before who have had exactly the same thing…..and it was the Mech Hanger against the frame – I have since cut a rubber washer from an old inner tube and put it between the mech hanger and the frame – JOB DONE!! Worth a look and a fraction of the hassle of messing with bearings, frames, pivots etc!!!

Kieron
    Free Member

Had this on my Heckler, and it turned out to be a loose pivot pinch bolt.

Deano100
    Free Member

I regularly have similar with my Kona Coilar. Even though it sounds like the creak is coming from the bottom bracket or seat, cleaning and re-greasing the pivot points sorts the problem every time.

Dylan08
    Free Member

Check the rear skewer! my pal had a creak on his yeti stripped / replaced most the bike trying to cure it and found it to be a dry rear QR skewer!

good luck

DT78
    Free Member

On my nomad I had an annoying creak turned out it was a worn shock bush.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

+1 for a little grease around the rear dropouts as the skewer moves around a little under power

aviemoron
    Free Member

If all else fails, pour some linseed oil into the frame, front and rear, through the small vent holes, let it soak around a bit, pour out extra. Ride. We used to have probs like this in the early days of Superlites and after exhausting everything, we tried this and it worked.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘creaking superlight’ is closed to new replies.