Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • creaking seatpost/seatclamp problem. creaking.
  • ton

got a Thomson 410mm post on my jones. 140mm inserted on the frame, clamped with a salsa liploc clamp.
    every contact surface is greased with copper slip. all nice and tight.
    I cant stop a very annoying creak.

idea’s?

oliverracing

Bottom Bracket – trust me, I spend 2 months chasing a seatpost/seat creak as it didn’t do it while standing up, swapped the BB out and it disappeared!

ton

tried the bb first, pretty sure it is not that. this seems worse on rough surfaces. riding on smooth does not cause it to happen.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Is it your knees? 😉

ton

😆

weeksy

Remove seatpost and ride it, does the noise remain ?

ton

it don’t creak when stood up.

teasel
    Free Member

I had a hard to sort creak but with a carbon post in a aluminium frame. Assuming you’ve greased (copper slipped) under the clamp bolt head, I ended up putting a small chamfer on the inside edge of the seat tube as well as a single run of electrical tape around the post where it gets clamped.

It hasn’t creaked in years.

bruneep

saddle rails

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Could be the frame is not to tolerance and the seat post is rocking giving the cream, can you shim?

ton

saddle rails copper slip applied.

teasel
    Free Member

They sometimes creak where the rails enter the plastic body. Worth a squirt of something in the gaps you can’t cover with copper slip.

ton

Could be the frame is not to tolerance and the seat post is rocking giving the cream, can you shim?

seatpost sits in frame nice and tidy without having to clamp. not loose at all.

ton

will try that teasel…cheers

bruneep

Saddle rails not on clamp but in seat its self.

Had this with a newish seat sent back to crc and got a replacement that was creak free

grizedaleforest

They sometimes creak where the rails enter the plastic body. Worth a squirt of something in the gaps you can’t cover with copper slip.

Yes, I’d second that. I regularly spray a bit of WD40 into the saddle to stop creaking. I suspect that the geometry of my setup, or the way I ride, is such that I stress saddles in ways they don’t like and they end up creaking and complaining.

Del

^ me too.

tthew

Saddle was my initial thought too. It it’s not that, next step – pedals, including cleat on shoes and in clips. Good luck!

ton

sat on the bike saddle and bounced about a bit whilst a work mate stood looking at the creaky area. he said the noise was coming from the seatpost clamp.
    it is a salsa liploc thing. undid it, turned it round so the split is facing front. tightened it up, went for a spin and hey presto…..sorted. 😀

belugabob
    Free Member

it is a salsa liploc thing. undid it, turned it round so the split is facing front. tightened it up, went for a spin and hey presto…..sorted.

Split should be at the front, anyway, to reduce mud ingress.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘creaking seatpost/seatclamp problem. creaking.’ is closed to new replies.