Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Creaking pikes
  • matlockmeat
    Free Member

On my 3rd set now and starting realise there must be an inherit fault with pikes.

New set are only 2 weeks old and are creaking like a good’un.

I’ve took the forks off the bike and it’s definitely the forks.
    Its coming from where the stanchions are bonded in to the crown.

I’ve seen a company called RSF suspension posting a lot recently about fixing this exact problem on many forks.

Is this issue really main stream.
    I’m a bit deflated now. I have no faith in the next replacement not having the same issue.

Does anyone know if the 2018 models are supposed to fix this issue?

bruneep

2 weeks old. Warranty job

mikewsmith
    Free Member

3rd set on warranty? Refund and buy something else

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    matlockmeat
    Free Member

I’m wondering how common this is. Do t want a 4th set only for it to happen within a few weeks/months.

It’s becoming a hassle stripping them off, taking them back and then being without a bike again.

I could just do with some forks that work for a decent length of time.

Superficial
    Free Member

All the forks I’ve ever owned have done this after a while. It never seems to cause problems, it’s just annoying.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

Superficial – Member 

All the forks I’ve ever owned have done this after a while. It never seems to cause problems, it’s just annoying.

I’m starting to wonder if it’s a lot more common and some people just put up with it and others don’t even realise.

My issue with it is, the creaking is play in what should be a tight fit and will only get worth. Has the potential to become really lose over time.

Superficial
    Free Member

Yeah, maybe – I definitely understand the logic. And on a set of 2 week old forks I’d be miffed too. But IME (n=probably 7 or 8 sets of forks) the creaking never develops into anything worse. I’ve had creaky forks for years and the creaking never changes. I’ve never heard e.g. of stanchions falling out of the crown. I guess maybe it contributes to flex though.

Matt_SS_xc

my pikes went to TF tuned 2 years ago after developing a creak. Not super loud but noticeable. They serviced them and said I could buy a new crown assembly for lots and lots or just ride them. They “no doubt unofficially” said that it’s not a safety issue and they wouldn’t fall apart on me. I still ride them, they creak, if i go fast i dont notice. Will be riding my creaky pikes this summer in the Alps 😀

StirlingCrispin

Is it definitely the forks?

I did everything to stop a creak on my Rebas (full-service, headset etc) and then discovered it was the Maxle.

matlockmeat
    Free Member

Yes definitely the forks.

I’ve taken the wheel out and put pressure on each leg and get the dreaded crack.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Creaking pikes’ is closed to new replies.