Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • creaking noise when sat down pedalling ?
  • renton
    Free Member

I’ve got an annoying creaking noise appeared if I am sat down pedalling.

It’s no coincidence that I have just fitted a brand new press fit bottom bracket but I thought it would creak standing up to if it was that.

Could it be the dropper post ??

Any other ideas ?

pembo6
    Free Member

a friend of mine had a similar creak. Ended up being a loose pivot bearing for the rear shock. he tightened it, and the creak went away.

MrTricky
    Free Member

Metal end cap on cable outer was a cause for me. Every time the suspension compressed the cable moved and it squeaked, did my head in. Took ages to find.

Euro
    Free Member

Seat clamp

wilburt
    Free Member

Your arse.

DT78
    Free Member

Clean and regrease seat post, post clamp, saddle rails where you clamp to post and where they go into saddle she’ll.

If still creaking start cleaning up other bits. Like above I’ve had cables creaking where grit got i the housing (internal routed) try holding cables as you ride. Creaky creaky, hold cable, if quiet it’s them. More recently it’s been my pedals which wobble on the spindles now.

Creaks get transmitted round the frame so it could be anything!

Other common one is rear quick release

renton
    Free Member

I was thinking it may be the saddle and or the seat post as it only does it when sat down pedalling or even with feet off the pedals pretending to pedal.

ichi
    Free Member

After having loads of these over the years the honest answer is, it could be almost anything. When I get one I can’t pinpoint I always schedule a full strip down, clean, check and regrease. That usually either pinpoints the problem or (more likely) resolves it without you ever finding out what it was.

Beagleboy

I just finished stripping and cleaning my entire chainset in an effort to get rid of a horrible squeaky creaking noise. Turns out it wasn’t that, but a slightly loose bolt on the dust cover of my main bearing (Orange 5). On the plus side, I now have lovely clean chainrings and chainring bolts, however I also need to sit in a quiet place with a cup of tea for a wee while to let myself calm down a bit! 🙁

C.

Phil_H

Dry seat tube?
    Try greasing the seat tube before inserting the seat post. Greasing the seat post, most of the grease gets scraped off whemn you put the post in the bike and doesn’t make it down to where the bottom of the post sits in the seat tube.

Pz_Steve

I had the same problem. Turned out it was my knees…

Del

typically dropper manufacturers suggest using carbon paste rather than grease between seat post and tube.

Cowman

Seat / seat post.

andyfla
    Free Member

Take everything apart, grease and reassemble.

When the squeeking carries on, and it will, buy a new bike

crapjumper
    Free Member

As euro said , seat post clamp . Mine was too tight and it creaked like **** until I backed it off a bit

transporter13
    Free Member

Remove your seat and grease the threads in the clamp that hold it…worth a try

Northwind

I recommend you get a really squeaky saddle, drown it out

paladin

New bike time!

iainc

I had a post last week about rattly internal cables on my Anthem… It was the Giant dropper, which had been recently out for recabling to other side and was back in with fibergel and torqued up, tiny bit of grit at the collar……

Goldigger
    Free Member

Knees?

blairc70
    Free Member

I have used silicone spray to narrow down the offending area, then strip regrease and rebuild as necessary.

Suggsey
    Free Member

I just ignore the creak……it frenzies the hell out my riding buddy but I can switch off to the noise 😆

zeesaffa
    Free Member

Brand new Reverb & seat was creaking like hell!

Took the seat off, cleaned the clamp and rails.

Liberal spread of copper slip on rails and underside of clamp where is pivots on post.
    Tightened up (not too tight).

Creak totally gone 🙂

Just sharing to help because this worked for me.

ernie67

Just having the same problem – looks like a new headset for me 🙁

jaaaaaaaaaam
    Free Member

That happened to me on the way to work – I took the seatpost out and put it back in with less tension in the clamp. No more creaking 🙂

renton
    Free Member

I sorted mine folks…… Sold the bike :mrgreen:

Cant hear it now .

hora
    Free Member

Saddle (rails)

bobgarrod
    Free Member

Being lazy – i usually spray the suspected area with gt85. if that works i strip and grease the offending area. If that doesn’t work I try another area. Usually the seat clamp in my experience.

onehundredthidiot

Had a creak that took ages to pinpoint, turned out to be the chest strap of my camelbak.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘creaking noise when sat down pedalling ?’ is closed to new replies.