Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Creaking hope cranks / BB
  • yorkshire89
    Free Member

Fitted a new set of hope cranks and hope BB a few weeks ago and keep getting a creak when I put power down.
    It started off as one creak per pedal rotation but now creaks on every pedal stroke.

I removed the cranks and spiderless chainring, and re-greased everything. Torqued everything up and all was quiet for one ride but now it’s coming back.

I have also fitted new pedals this time round thinking it could have been that.

Any ideas? It’s driving me crazy 🙁

SirHC

Tried contacting Hope?

yorkshire89
    Free Member

No I haven’t spoke to them yet, thought I would ask here first.
    The LBS I bought them from did mention that they are known to creak if you don’t grease them enough, so I put grease on every contact point possible…
    Under the bearing caps
    Inner bearing race
    Chainring contact points
    Crank axle
    Wedge
    End cap

I did wonder if it was to do with the BB bearing tension adjuster. The instructions just say to ‘tighten by hand’ then torque up the 2.5mm allen bolt, which seems a bit vague?

bigpins
    Free Member

Had mine about a year now and have the same problem. Does yours come mainly from the drive or non drive side?

I must clean them and re-grease every 2 weeks just to try keep the noise down.

Just ordered some new BB bearings to see if that helps and I put new pedals on last month to see if that helped(they are a bit better but the non-drive side does make a little creak when I put power down).

yorkshire89
    Free Member

It started as a slight click/creak at the bottom of the non-driveside pedal stroke, but now creaks on both pedal strokes when you put power down.

I’ve only ever had deore/slx cranks previously and have never had any problems.

bigpins
    Free Member

I think its something to do with the interface between crank and axle. Make sure its spotless then wack as much lube on as you can. Don’t do the bung up too tight and finger tight for the lock nut.

Because there are so many parts to them everything needs to be greaced and tightened up properly.

Pain in the butt.

Are you BB bearings running smooth?

yorkshire89
    Free Member

By bung do you mean the tapered plug? The instructions say to torque it up to 70-75Nm?

Everything was clean when they were installed, and BB bearings are brand new and running nice and smooth 😕

bigpins
    Free Member

don’t know what to suggest then. I’ve probably had a dozen rides when they have been quiet. I can manage to get the quieter by a good clean and refit. Once you get going you don’t normally hear it.

But that’s no compensation for over 200quids worth of noisy cranks!

bigpins
    Free Member

Just watched a thing about fitting a hope bb and they were on about the seals over the bearings which in your case are the metal washer between the bearing and the crank, if they are the wrong way round it can cause a creak. Might be it.

xyeti
    Free Member

Chasing creaks, especially on BB’s has been my life’s work………..

Is it a carbon frame?

codybrennan
    Free Member

Is it a carbon frame?

Funny you should say this. My daughter’s frame (carbon) was exhibiting this very odd creak- definitely sounded like BB. I’d renewed the BB a couple of weeks before, and thought it had gone prematurely.

Got it home, stripped it down, reassembled….still creaking. Long story short- after a lot of searching- it was a slightly twisted rear QR centering spring. But that was the odd thing- the carbon transmitted the sound, amplified it, and for all the world it sounded exactly like a failing BB.

xyeti
    Free Member

Yep, that’s a common cause rear QR, also head set shim stacks, head set races dry emitting a freak through the frame.

I had a a Black SC Nomad in Carbon, left it in the garden a few summers ago after a ride and it was red hot outside, I showered, had lunch etc and when I eventually went out to the bike there was a wet greasy patch on the patio and loads of melted grease on the and under the BB on the frame. Long story shortened the frame had heated up and the insert in the BB had become a fraction out, something to do with the bonding adhesive. Any way I got a new frame but be careful when sitting your bikes in the sun.

It’s probably only hot enough to do that 2 days a year though,

rondo101
    Free Member

Assuming you’ve got a BSA threaded BB, clean the spacer(s) and the bits where they interface with frame and BB cup. That was the source of my creaky hope BB. Did my head in for ages.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Creaking hope cranks / BB’ is closed to new replies.