Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Creaking getting worse….deforming hope freewheel or something else?
  • walla24
    Free Member

hello good people of stw,
    i while back i noticed a creaking/clicking in my drivetrain (1×9, xt 11-32cassette, new kmc chain, saint shifter, hope pro 2 rear hub) so i removed the cassette to find it was gouging the free wheel….cleaned, reassemble and fine for a while.
    But now the noise is back and gettin worse, is it possible something more sinister is happening (ie damage within the hub?) or is it more likely to be mech related etc?

originaly started after puuting on a (2nd hand) xt cassette-root cause?

bananaworld
    Free Member

Have you got another 9-speed cassette handy that you could pop on just to test?

walla24
    Free Member

no sadly not, although it might be worth getting hold of one to try out.

Is this a common ailment of hope hubs then, heard talk of this elsewhere and the remidy was upgrading to a steel free hub?

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Possibly a knackered pawl in the hub. They're really easy to take to bits. You need to see if the pawl teeth are still sharp, or if there's any bits broken off and floating around in there.

walla24
    Free Member

thanks for the idea bikewhisperer, i will have a go at then when i get a minute.
    Dont want it to be just something i have to put up with like…

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I think Hope have a video on how to do it. not sure though!

walla24
    Free Member

sweet, even better!

Is there anything else it might be?
    seems to be slightly worse under heavy load and in lowest gears?

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Check the bearings are all free and there isn't play anywhere. Does sound like the freehub, as lower gears put more torque on it, and closer to the pawls too

walla24
    Free Member

ok, thanks for the help. will have a look…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Creaking getting worse….deforming hope freewheel or something else?’ is closed to new replies.