Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Creaking Frame!
  • turtleheading
    Free Member

Ive got a stumpjumper full sus 09/10 and for a while now maybe 6 months or so i have had creaking coming from the frame. after degreasing/replacing parts and not being able stop it, im assuming its the frame making the noise.

Wondering if there is anything i can do? I know that Aluminium is a loud material, and creaks tend to get magnified with it.

Anyone else got the same problem?

scruff
    Free Member

Have you checked the cable stops / zip ties ? They can creak, use a bit of GT85.

thepurist

You tried re-greasing the threads on the BB shells?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigyinn
    Free Member

Check your BB, pivots, front mechs, seatpost, seatpost collar, saddle rails , saddle clamp, shock mounts and dropouts / QRs. then come back to us, lol!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yup lots of things can creak, rarely frame cracks!

lipseal
    Free Member

I always find the seat post is the problem when my frame has a creek.
    Saddle, headset, seat post, BB or your knees just some ideas.

Legoman
    Free Member

Had the same problem on my trance. Tried all sorts of things & eventually took it to my LBS.

The guy just tightened up all the QRs (much tighter than I would have dared, for fear of breaking one), problem solved.

I did feel a bit of dick mind.

foxyrider
    Free Member

MM – if you have checked everything inc cranks & BB (taken out and cleaned) I’d go for pivot bearings – mine failed after 1 year – take the covers off and have a look – maybe squirt some WD40 in to check if it temp stops it – you may need pivot bearing replacement!

toys19
    Free Member

SADDLE!

gringojimi
    Free Member

Echo Legoman’s advice about the QR.

Had the same problem, always thought it was bearings but I tightened the rear QR up as tight as it would go and the creaking went away.

ollie
    Free Member

Had the same problem on my trance. Tried all sorts of things & eventually took it to my LBS.

The guy just tightened up all the QRs (much tighter than I would have dared, for fear of breaking one), problem solved.

I did feel a bit of dick mind.

This. I had a creaky frame for months, re-greased everything and all that needed doing was tightening the quick releases, wouldn’t believe it if it hadn’t happened to me.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I cant believe nobody has suggested the shock bushings.

Other than that it could be your saddle, seat post, bearings, stem faceplate. All logical things really.

Does it creak at any specific time or all the time, such as stood up or sitting down, climbing etc?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I_Ache – Member

I cant believe nobody has suggested the shock bushings.
    Errr, helloooo

bigyinn – Member

Check your BB, pivots, front mechs, seatpost, seatpost collar, saddle rails , saddle clamp, shock mounts and dropouts / QRs. then come back to us, lol!

foxyrider
    Free Member

On my Orange 5 I found it was my QR’s – I replaced them for 9mm and 10mm and was cured so def worth checking!

I_Ache
    Free Member

Pedant
    Shock mounts arn’t bushes tho are they.
    /Pedant

bigyinn
    Free Member

<pedant extreme on>
    Do you mean the shock eyelet bushings or the shock mounting bushings?
    <pedant extreme off>

big_scot_nanny

Had same on my FSR, turned out to be either saddle or non drive side crank arm that needed sorting.

gator
    Free Member

Blob of copper slip / grease on your rear dropouts and – and a nice tight QR

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Creaking Frame!’ is closed to new replies.